|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bernard say Hannah is lacking?
(b) Killer instinct.
(c) Gut instinct.
2. When Septimus mentions death in Arcadia, Thomasina responds ____________________.
(a) Death be damned!
(b) Death is inevitable.
(c) Phooey to Death!
(d) Death cannot stop true love!
3. What sound interrupts Lady Croom's conversation?
(a) A gun shot.
(b) Piano music.
(c) The steam engine.
(d) A scream.
4. Septimus calls attention to ______________________.
(a) Noakes' affair with Lady Croom.
(b) Brice's affair with Mrs. Chater.
(c) Noakes' affair with Mrs. Chater.
(d) Brice's affair with Thomasina.
5. What sounds end the scene?
(a) Violin music and crows crying.
(b) A gun shot and crows crying.
(c) Piano music and the steam engine.
(d) A gun shot and piano music.
6. Why is Hannah at Sidley Park?
(a) She is writing a history of Lord Croom.
(b) She is writing a history of Noakes.
(c) She is writing a history of Byron's duels.
(d) She is writing a history of the garden.
7. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
(a) Because Cleopatra hated Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Because Cleopatra destroyed Rome.
(c) Because Cleopatra was consumed with love and sex.
(d) Because Cleopatra spoke Latin.
8. Why does Thomasina turn to Septimus for answers about sex?
(a) Septimus never tries to deceive anyone.
(b) Septimus is honorable and chaste.
(c) Septimus is her tutor.
(d) Septimus is her brother.
9. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
10. What is Hannah reading at the beginning of the scene?
(a) A letter from Septimus
(b) The journal of Lord Byron
(c) The Couch of Eros
(d) The journal of Thomasina Coverly
11. Thomasina is supposed to be studying
(d) Romantic Poetry.
12. When Thomasina asks Septimus about sexual congress, he _________________________.
(a) Attempts to leave the room.
(b) Attempts to offer a detailed explanation.
(c) Attempts to change the subject.
(d) Attempts to seduce her.
13. Why does Bernard think Byron engaged in a duel at Sidley Park?
(a) He has discovered Byron's journal from the days he spent at Sidley Park.
(b) He has discovered that Byron left England in a hurry.
(c) He has discovered Septimus' letters in The Couch of Eros.
(d) He has discovered that Byron later married Mrs. Chater.
14. Chloe asks Hannah ___________________________.
(a) If she is married.
(b) If she is done with her book.
(c) If she is romantically interested in Bernard.
(d) If she is romantically interested in Gus.
15. What mathematical advantage does Valentine have over Thomasina?
(a) He is more skilled at mathematics
(b) He can use a computer to compute his equations
(c) His equations are accurate
(d) He is measuring something phyisical rather than emotional
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of gossip does Thomasina mention to Septimus?
2. Thomasina describes the hermit in her drawing to _____________________.
3. Why is Lady Croom vexed with her husband?
4. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard did not receive a reply to his letter from Lord Croom?
5. Who arrives after Hannah exits?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)