|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jellaby arrives to ________________________.
(a) Deliver a letter to Septimus.
(b) Collect a letter from Septimus.
(c) Challenge Septimus to a duel.
(d) Deliver a letter to Thomasina.
2. What is the one word Valentine repeats in her first two entrances?
3. What sound interrupts Lady Croom's conversation?
(a) A scream.
(b) Piano music.
(c) A gun shot.
(d) The steam engine.
4. Brice accuses Septimus of ___________.
5. What sound recurs in this scene?
(b) A radio.
(c) Violin music.
(d) Gun shots.
6. How does Thomasina's mathematical process differ from Valentine's?
(a) Thomasina is interested in art; Valentine is interested in science
(b) Thomasina uses calculus; Valentine uses algebra
(c) Thomasina's math is emotional; Valentine's math is analytical
(d) Thomasina begins with the equation; Valentine begins with data
7. Chater accuses Septimus of __________________-.
(a) Betraying his wife.
(b) Misleading his wife.
(c) Stealing his wife.
(d) Insulting his wife.
8. Whose poem is Septimus reading?
(a) Ezra Chater's.
(b) Lord Byron's.
(c) Ezra Pound's.
9. How does Chloe describe her brother, Gus?
(a) As a sexist.
(b) As a savant.
(c) As a threat.
(d) As a genius.
10. Why does Septimus finally agree to duel with Chater?
(a) Chater demands Septimus duel or leave Sidley Park.
(b) Brice and Chater challenge him together.
(c) Chater insults Thomasina.
(d) Lady Croom insists upon it.
11. Where does Chater ask Septimus to join him?
(a) In the gun room.
(b) In the sun room.
(c) In the hermitage.
(d) In the garden.
12. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
(a) A second duel with Chater.
(b) A second affair with Mrs. Croom.
(c) Taking on another pupil.
(d) Marrying Mrs. Chater when she becomes a widow.
13. Where does the play take place?
(a) Sydney Park, Australia.
(b) Rosings Park, Derbyshire.
(c) Central Park, New York.
(d) Sidley Park, Derbyshire.
14. What is Hannah's gift to Bernard?
(a) A letter from Byron to Septimus.
(b) A letter from Lady Croom to her husband.
(c) The three letters from Septimus' book.
(d) A letter from Byron to Mrs. Chater.
15. What piece of gossip does Thomasina mention to Septimus?
(a) Mrs. Chater was found in carnal embrace in the gazebo.
(b) Mrs. Chater was discovered in bed with Mr. Noakes.
(c) Mrs. Chater was asked to leave Sidley Park.
(d) Mrs. Chater was discovered in bed with Lord Byron.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bernard think Byron engaged in a duel at Sidley Park?
2. Why is Hannah skeptical of Bernard's conclusion regarding Byron's duel with Chater?
3. Septimus tells Thomasina she must not be _________________________.
4. When he learns he might find information about Byron, Bernard makes arrangements to _______________.
5. Which character enters and exits without speaking?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)