|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
(b) He lies about his work on Byron.
(c) He lies about his job.
(d) He lies about his name.
2. Who suggests Lady Croom's translation of Et in Arcadia Ego is incorrect?
3. Why does Septimus finally agree to duel with Chater?
(a) Lady Croom insists upon it.
(b) Brice and Chater challenge him together.
(c) Chater insults Thomasina.
(d) Chater demands Septimus duel or leave Sidley Park.
4. How does Chloe describe her brother, Gus?
(a) As a savant.
(b) As a sexist.
(c) As a threat.
(d) As a genius.
5. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard did not receive a reply to his letter from Lord Croom?
(a) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a manuscript.
(b) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a bill.
(c) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom did not read those letters.
(d) It was illegible.
6. What mathematical advantage does Valentine have over Thomasina?
(a) His equations are accurate
(b) He can use a computer to compute his equations
(c) He is measuring something phyisical rather than emotional
(d) He is more skilled at mathematics
7. Septimus' reply to the letter is _____________________________.
(a) That he needs time to consider Chater's challenge.
(b) That he will meet Chater after he is done teaching.
(c) That he is unable to meet with Chater that day.
(d) That he will not dignify Chater with a response.
8. Why is Hannah at Sidley Park?
(a) She is writing a history of Lord Croom.
(b) She is writing a history of the garden.
(c) She is writing a history of Noakes.
(d) She is writing a history of Byron's duels.
9. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
(a) Because Noakes discovered Mrs. Chater with Byron, but accused Septimus instead.
(b) Because Noakes is dishonest.
(c) Because Noakes discovered Septimus' tryst and told others about it.
(d) Because Noakes tried to lead Septimus into temptation.
10. According to Lady Croom, who has shot a pigeon?
(a) Mr. Noakes.
(b) Septimus' school friend.
(d) Lord Croom.
11. Who arrives after Hannah exits?
(a) Chloe and Valentine.
(b) Bernard and Gus.
(c) Valentine and Gus.
(d) Chloe and Bernard.
12. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
(a) You can't always get what you want.
(b) You cannot separate things permanently.
(c) You cannot create chaos from order.
(d) You cannot stir things apart.
13. What does Hannah's letter prove?
(a) It proves that Chater was dead by 1810.
(b) It proves that Brice wanted to kill Byron.
(c) It proves that Byron was dead by 1810.
(d) It proves that Byron duelled with Chater in 1809.
14. Jellaby arrives to ________________________.
(a) Challenge Septimus to a duel.
(b) Deliver a letter to Thomasina.
(c) Deliver a letter to Septimus.
(d) Collect a letter from Septimus.
15. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
(b) Shapes in nature.
(c) Manufactured images.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Septimus receive at the beginning of the scene?
2. What does Brice say of Septimus with regard to their duel?
3. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
4. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
5. At what time has Septimus agreed to duel Chater?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)