Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Valentine studying using his mathematical process?
(c) Apple leaves
2. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
(a) Shapes in nature.
(b) Manufactured images.
3. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
(a) The Origin of Species.
(b) The Raven.
(c) The Hound of the Baskervilles.
(d) The Couch of Eros.
4. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
(a) Lady Croom.
(b) Mr. Chater.
(c) Mrs. Chater.
(d) Mr. Noakes.
5. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
(a) Thomasina believes Septimus is in love with her mother.
(b) The servants tried to cover up for Septimus.
(c) The servants discovered her listening and stopped talking.
(d) Thomasina believes Septimus loves only her.
6. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
(a) Ignorance and knowledge.
(b) Relativity and absolute truth.
(c) Free will and determination.
(d) Asthetic freedom versus asthetic limitations.
7. Why is Hannah at Sidley Park?
(a) She is writing a history of Lord Croom.
(b) She is writing a history of Noakes.
(c) She is writing a history of the garden.
(d) She is writing a history of Byron's duels.
8. Brice accuses Septimus of ___________.
9. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
(a) Because Cleopatra hated Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Because Cleopatra was consumed with love and sex.
(c) Because Cleopatra spoke Latin.
(d) Because Cleopatra destroyed Rome.
10. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
(a) Lady Croom.
11. Thomasina is ___________________.
(a) Translating Greek.
(b) Translating Italian.
(c) Translating Hebrew.
(d) Translating Latin.
12. Whose poem is Septimus reading?
(a) Lord Byron's.
(b) Ezra Chater's.
(c) Ezra Pound's.
13. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his work on Byron.
(b) He lies about his name.
(c) He lies about his job.
(d) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
14. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
(a) Cello music.
(b) Guitar music.
(c) Violin music.
(d) Piano music.
15. What mathematical advantage does Valentine have over Thomasina?
(a) He can use a computer to compute his equations
(b) He is more skilled at mathematics
(c) His equations are accurate
(d) He is measuring something phyisical rather than emotional
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound effect is heard constantly throughout this scene?
2. In what year does the play begin?
3. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
4. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard did not receive a reply to his letter from Lord Croom?
5. Who is Lady Croom in love with, according to Thomasina?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)