|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
(a) Lyrical Ballads
(b) English Bards and Scottish reviewers
(c) Poetical Verses
(d) The Couch of Eros
2. Who suggests Lady Croom's translation of Et in Arcadia Ego is incorrect?
3. Chater accuses Septimus of __________________-.
(a) Stealing his wife.
(b) Betraying his wife.
(c) Insulting his wife.
(d) Misleading his wife.
4. Septimus admits to ______________________.
(a) Ignoring Chater's wife.
(b) Slandering Chater's wife.
(c) Running away with Chater's wife.
(d) Making love to Chater's wife.
5. Whose poem is Septimus reading?
(b) Lord Byron's.
(c) Ezra Pound's.
(d) Ezra Chater's.
6. Where does Chater ask Septimus to join him?
(a) In the sun room.
(b) In the gun room.
(c) In the hermitage.
(d) In the garden.
7. Lady Croom claims her garden is currently arranged ______________________.
(a) As God intended it.
(b) According to her tastes.
(c) According to the latest fashion.
(d) As her husband designed it.
8. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
(a) A second duel with Chater.
(b) Marrying Mrs. Chater when she becomes a widow.
(c) A second affair with Mrs. Croom.
(d) Taking on another pupil.
9. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard did not receive a reply to his letter from Lord Croom?
(a) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom did not read those letters.
(b) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a bill.
(c) It was illegible.
(d) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a manuscript.
10. What is the one word Valentine repeats in her first two entrances?
11. What has Valentine's mother loaned Bernard?
(a) Her first edition of The Couch of Eros
(b) Her car
(c) Her bicycle
(d) Her notes on gardening
12. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
(a) The servants discovered her listening and stopped talking.
(b) Thomasina believes Septimus is in love with her mother.
(c) Thomasina believes Septimus loves only her.
(d) The servants tried to cover up for Septimus.
13. Chloe asks Hannah ___________________________.
(a) If she is romantically interested in Gus.
(b) If she is married.
(c) If she is romantically interested in Bernard.
(d) If she is done with her book.
14. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
(b) Lady Croom.
15. Septimus' reply to the letter is _____________________________.
(a) That he is unable to meet with Chater that day.
(b) That he will not dignify Chater with a response.
(c) That he will meet Chater after he is done teaching.
(d) That he needs time to consider Chater's challenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Croom believes Thomasina has _______________________.
2. What does Gus bring Hannah?
3. Thomasina is supposed to be studying
4. Which character enters and exits without speaking?
5. When Thomasina asks Septimus about sexual congress, he _________________________.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)