|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chater realizes that Byron intends ____________________.
(a) To give him a bad review.
(b) To challenge him to a duel.
(c) To leave with Mrs. Chater.
(d) To give him a positive review.
2. At what time has Septimus agreed to duel Chater?
(d) Five o'clock
3. What false last name does Chloe give Bernard?
4. For what reason has Hannah enlisted Valentine in this scene?
(a) To help disprove Bernard's Byron theory
(b) To explain Thomasina's math equations
(c) To access a Croom family heirloom
(d) To translate a particularly difficult passage of Latin
5. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
(a) Mr. Noakes.
(b) Lady Croom.
(c) Mrs. Chater.
(d) Mr. Chater.
6. What has Valentine's mother loaned Bernard?
(a) Her car
(b) Her first edition of The Couch of Eros
(c) Her bicycle
(d) Her notes on gardening
7. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard should hide his car?
(a) Lord Croom would not allow guests who drove foreign cars.
(b) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not drive carriages.
(c) Lord Croom would not allow guests with Japanese cars.
(d) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not ride bicycles.
8. Why is Lady Croom vexed with her husband?
(a) He is determined to duel with Lord Byron.
(b) He is determined to change the garden.
(c) He is determined to duel with Septimus.
(d) He has had an affair with Mrs. Chater.
9. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
(a) Because Cleopatra hated Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Because Cleopatra destroyed Rome.
(c) Because Cleopatra was consumed with love and sex.
(d) Because Cleopatra spoke Latin.
10. What does Septimus receive at the beginning of the scene?
(a) A book.
(b) An apple.
(c) Another turtle.
(d) Another letter.
11. Thomasina is ___________________.
(a) Translating Greek.
(b) Translating Italian.
(c) Translating Latin.
(d) Translating Hebrew.
12. How does Thomasina's mathematical process differ from Valentine's?
(a) Thomasina's math is emotional; Valentine's math is analytical
(b) Thomasina is interested in art; Valentine is interested in science
(c) Thomasina uses calculus; Valentine uses algebra
(d) Thomasina begins with the equation; Valentine begins with data
13. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his work on Byron.
(b) He lies about his name.
(c) He lies about his job.
(d) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
14. What is remarkable about Thomasina's math equations?
(a) The solutions disprove Newton's theories
(b) The equations are riddled with errors
(c) The technique she uses is only about 20-years-old
(d) The data is pulled from piano music
15. What piece of gossip does Thomasina mention to Septimus?
(a) Mrs. Chater was discovered in bed with Mr. Noakes.
(b) Mrs. Chater was asked to leave Sidley Park.
(c) Mrs. Chater was found in carnal embrace in the gazebo.
(d) Mrs. Chater was discovered in bed with Lord Byron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hannah reading at the beginning of the scene?
2. When Septimus mentions death in Arcadia, Thomasina responds ____________________.
3. Why does Gus run out of the room at the end of the scene?
4. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
5. Septimus claims he will not fight Chater because __________________________.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)