|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seems particularly offended by Septimus' dalliance with Mrs. Chater?
(b) Lord Croom.
2. Thomasina believes she has made a discovery in ______________.
3. Septimus tells Thomasina she must not be _________________________.
(a) Cleverer than her elders
(b) Impolite to her elders.
(c) Wealthier than her elders.
(d) Disrespectful to her elders.
4. Where does Chater ask Septimus to join him?
(a) In the garden.
(b) In the sun room.
(c) In the gun room.
(d) In the hermitage.
5. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his job.
(b) He lies about his name.
(c) He lies about his work on Byron.
(d) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
6. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
(a) Because Noakes tried to lead Septimus into temptation.
(b) Because Noakes is dishonest.
(c) Because Noakes discovered Septimus' tryst and told others about it.
(d) Because Noakes discovered Mrs. Chater with Byron, but accused Septimus instead.
7. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard should hide his car?
(a) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not ride bicycles.
(b) Lord Croom would not allow guests with Japanese cars.
(c) Lord Croom would not allow guests who drove foreign cars.
(d) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not drive carriages.
8. Who arrives after Hannah exits?
(a) Valentine and Gus.
(b) Bernard and Gus.
(c) Chloe and Bernard.
(d) Chloe and Valentine.
9. For what reason has Hannah enlisted Valentine in this scene?
(a) To help disprove Bernard's Byron theory
(b) To explain Thomasina's math equations
(c) To translate a particularly difficult passage of Latin
(d) To access a Croom family heirloom
10. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
(a) Guitar music.
(b) Violin music.
(c) Cello music.
(d) Piano music.
11. According to Lady Croom, who has shot a pigeon?
(b) Septimus' school friend.
(c) Lord Croom.
(d) Mr. Noakes.
12. Thomasina describes the hermit in her drawing to _____________________.
(a) The ghost in the machine.
(b) The babe in the woods.
(c) The Baptist in the wilderness.
(d) The man in the moon.
13. What sounds end the scene?
(a) Violin music and crows crying.
(b) Piano music and the steam engine.
(c) A gun shot and piano music.
(d) A gun shot and crows crying.
14. What is Hannah reading at the beginning of the scene?
(a) The journal of Lord Byron
(b) A letter from Septimus
(c) The journal of Thomasina Coverly
(d) The Couch of Eros
15. What does Gus bring Hannah?
(a) A theodolite.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A book.
(d) An apple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
2. What is remarkable about Thomasina's math equations?
3. Why is Hannah skeptical of Bernard's conclusion regarding Byron's duel with Chater?
4. What sound effect is heard constantly throughout this scene?
5. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)