|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
2. Thomasina is also upset over _________________________.
(a) The advances of Captain Brice
(b) Septimus' lack of mathematical vision
(c) Augustus' endless teasing
(d) The lost plays of of the Athenians and Aristotle's library.
3. What does Brice say of Septimus with regard to their duel?
(a) That Septimus will enlist Byron's help
(b) That Septimus is all bluster and bladder
(c) That Septimus is a formidable shot
(d) That Septimus will find a way to cheat.
4. What event is going to occur at Sidley Park?
(a) A dance for the district.
(b) A birthday party.
(c) A charity benefit.
(d) An auction.
5. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his name.
(b) He lies about his work on Byron.
(c) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
(d) He lies about his job.
6. Septimus calls attention to ______________________.
(a) Brice's affair with Thomasina.
(b) Noakes' affair with Lady Croom.
(c) Brice's affair with Mrs. Chater.
(d) Noakes' affair with Mrs. Chater.
7. According to Lady Croom, who has shot a pigeon?
(b) Septimus' school friend.
(c) Lord Croom.
(d) Mr. Noakes.
8. Where are the game books kept?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In the pantry.
(c) In the commode.
(d) In the closet.
9. Why does Bernard think Byron engaged in a duel at Sidley Park?
(a) He has discovered Septimus' letters in The Couch of Eros.
(b) He has discovered Byron's journal from the days he spent at Sidley Park.
(c) He has discovered that Byron left England in a hurry.
(d) He has discovered that Byron later married Mrs. Chater.
10. Brice accuses Septimus of ___________.
11. Lady Croom believes Thomasina has _______________________.
(a) Grown taller since the day before.
(b) Changed since the day before.
(c) Disguised herself.
(d) Grown more refined since the day befoe.
12. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard did not receive a reply to his letter from Lord Croom?
(a) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a manuscript.
(b) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom did not read those letters.
(c) It was illegible.
(d) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a bill.
13. Where does the play take place?
(a) Central Park, New York.
(b) Sydney Park, Australia.
(c) Rosings Park, Derbyshire.
(d) Sidley Park, Derbyshire.
14. How does Thomasina's mathematical process differ from Valentine's?
(a) Thomasina begins with the equation; Valentine begins with data
(b) Thomasina is interested in art; Valentine is interested in science
(c) Thomasina's math is emotional; Valentine's math is analytical
(d) Thomasina uses calculus; Valentine uses algebra
15. Why is Lady Croom vexed with her husband?
(a) He is determined to duel with Septimus.
(b) He has had an affair with Mrs. Chater.
(c) He is determined to duel with Lord Byron.
(d) He is determined to change the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brice claims that as a tutor, Septimus must __________________________.
2. Septimus claims he will not fight Chater because __________________________.
3. Who seems particularly offended by Septimus' dalliance with Mrs. Chater?
4. When Thomasina asks Septimus about sexual congress, he _________________________.
5. Where does Chater ask Septimus to join him?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)