|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character enters and exits without speaking?
2. Why does Brice want Septimus to accept Chater's challenge?
(a) He is upset over Septimus' affair with Mrs. Brice.
(b) He is upset over Septimus' affair with Lady Croom.
(c) He is in love with Thomasina and wants Septimus dead.
(d) He is in love with Mrs. Chater himself.
3. What is Valentine studying using his mathematical process?
(a) Apple leaves
4. What does Hannah demand of Bernard that prompts him to call her a silly bitch?
(a) Another piece of research in exchange for hers.
(b) Proof for his theory of chaos.
(c) Proof for his theories on Byron.
(d) Another review of her book.
5. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
(a) Taking on another pupil.
(b) A second affair with Mrs. Croom.
(c) Marrying Mrs. Chater when she becomes a widow.
(d) A second duel with Chater.
6. What sound recurs in this scene?
(a) A radio.
(b) Violin music.
(c) Gun shots.
7. In what year does the play begin?
(d) The present.
8. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard should hide his car?
(a) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not drive carriages.
(b) Lord Croom would not allow guests with Japanese cars.
(c) Lord Croom would not allow guests who drove foreign cars.
(d) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not ride bicycles.
9. Who suggests Lady Croom's translation of Et in Arcadia Ego is incorrect?
10. Septimus tells Thomasina she must not be _________________________.
(a) Disrespectful to her elders.
(b) Cleverer than her elders
(c) Wealthier than her elders.
(d) Impolite to her elders.
11. Thomasina is also upset over _________________________.
(a) The advances of Captain Brice
(b) Septimus' lack of mathematical vision
(c) The lost plays of of the Athenians and Aristotle's library.
(d) Augustus' endless teasing
12. What does Gus bring Hannah?
(a) A theodolite.
(b) A book.
(c) A turtle.
(d) An apple.
13. Why is Hannah at Sidley Park?
(a) She is writing a history of the garden.
(b) She is writing a history of Lord Croom.
(c) She is writing a history of Byron's duels.
(d) She is writing a history of Noakes.
14. Who seems particularly offended by Septimus' dalliance with Mrs. Chater?
(c) Lord Croom.
15. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
(a) Throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
(b) Throwing one's arms around an animal.
(c) Throwing one's arms around a cow.
(d) Throwing one's arms around a lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Croom claims her garden is currently arranged ______________________.
2. When Thomasina asks Septimus about sexual congress, he _________________________.
3. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
4. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
5. Where are the game books kept?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)