|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he learns he might find information about Byron, Bernard makes arrangements to _______________.
(a) Begin writing a book.
(b) Stay at Sidley Park.
(c) Hide his car from Lord Croom.
(d) Stay in town.
2. Brice claims that as a tutor, Septimus must __________________________.
(a) Ignore Thomasina's requests for information.
(b) Keep Thomasina in ignorance of certain matters.
(c) Inform Thomasina thoroughly in every matter.
(d) Guard Thomasina from gossip.
3. Septimus admits to ______________________.
(a) Making love to Chater's wife.
(b) Running away with Chater's wife.
(c) Slandering Chater's wife.
(d) Ignoring Chater's wife.
4. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his work on Byron.
(b) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
(c) He lies about his job.
(d) He lies about his name.
5. Where is the proof that Byron was at Sidley Park in 1809?
(a) the prrof is in Lady Croom's journal.
(b) The proof is in Bernard's book on Byron.
(c) The proof is in the letter Hannah finds.
(d) The proof is in a game book that records him shooting a hare.
6. What does Bernard say Hannah is lacking?
(c) Gut instinct.
(d) Killer instinct.
7. What is Hannah reading at the beginning of the scene?
(a) A letter from Septimus
(b) The journal of Thomasina Coverly
(c) The Couch of Eros
(d) The journal of Lord Byron
8. Septimus calls attention to ______________________.
(a) Brice's affair with Thomasina.
(b) Brice's affair with Mrs. Chater.
(c) Noakes' affair with Lady Croom.
(d) Noakes' affair with Mrs. Chater.
9. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
(a) Manifest destiny.
(b) The theory of relativity.
(c) Man's inherent evil nature.
(d) Man's free will or self-determination.
10. Thomasina describes the hermit in her drawing to _____________________.
(a) The man in the moon.
(b) The Baptist in the wilderness.
(c) The babe in the woods.
(d) The ghost in the machine.
11. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
(a) Because Noakes discovered Mrs. Chater with Byron, but accused Septimus instead.
(b) Because Noakes discovered Septimus' tryst and told others about it.
(c) Because Noakes is dishonest.
(d) Because Noakes tried to lead Septimus into temptation.
12. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
13. When Thomasina asks Septimus about sexual congress, he _________________________.
(a) Attempts to offer a detailed explanation.
(b) Attempts to seduce her.
(c) Attempts to leave the room.
(d) Attempts to change the subject.
14. Chloe asks Hannah ___________________________.
(a) If she is romantically interested in Gus.
(b) If she is married.
(c) If she is romantically interested in Bernard.
(d) If she is done with her book.
15. What does Chloe claim is true of her brother?
(a) She claims he has information about her book.
(b) She claims he is leaving Sidley Park for good.
(c) She claims he has fought a duel.
(d) She claims he is in love with Hannah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brice say of Septimus with regard to their duel?
2. What has Valentine's mother loaned Bernard?
3. What does Gus bring Hannah?
4. Where are the game books kept?
5. Who arrives after Hannah exits?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)