|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lady Croom claims her garden is currently arranged ______________________.
(a) According to her tastes.
(b) As her husband designed it.
(c) According to the latest fashion.
(d) As God intended it.
2. Why is Hannah at Sidley Park?
(a) She is writing a history of Noakes.
(b) She is writing a history of Byron's duels.
(c) She is writing a history of Lord Croom.
(d) She is writing a history of the garden.
3. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his name.
(b) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
(c) He lies about his work on Byron.
(d) He lies about his job.
4. Jellaby arrives to ________________________.
(a) Challenge Septimus to a duel.
(b) Deliver a letter to Thomasina.
(c) Deliver a letter to Septimus.
(d) Collect a letter from Septimus.
5. Thomasina believes she has made a discovery in ______________.
6. Why does Gus run out of the room at the end of the scene?
(a) He hates people shouting
(b) He is bothered by the pistol shot
(c) He is jealous of Chloe's affection for Bernard
(d) He feels Valentine is disrespectful of Byron
7. At what time has Septimus agreed to duel Chater?
(a) Five o'clock
8. Thomasina is ___________________.
(a) Translating Hebrew.
(b) Translating Greek.
(c) Translating Latin.
(d) Translating Italian.
9. Thomasina is supposed to be studying
(d) Romantic Poetry.
10. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
(a) Because Cleopatra hated Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Because Cleopatra destroyed Rome.
(c) Because Cleopatra was consumed with love and sex.
(d) Because Cleopatra spoke Latin.
11. Who suggests Lady Croom's translation of Et in Arcadia Ego is incorrect?
12. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
(a) Asthetic freedom versus asthetic limitations.
(b) Relativity and absolute truth.
(c) Ignorance and knowledge.
(d) Free will and determination.
13. Who arrives after Hannah exits?
(a) Chloe and Bernard.
(b) Chloe and Valentine.
(c) Valentine and Gus.
(d) Bernard and Gus.
14. What does Brice say of Septimus with regard to their duel?
(a) That Septimus is all bluster and bladder
(b) That Septimus is a formidable shot
(c) That Septimus will enlist Byron's help
(d) That Septimus will find a way to cheat.
15. Lady Croom believes Thomasina has _______________________.
(a) Grown more refined since the day befoe.
(b) Disguised herself.
(c) Changed since the day before.
(d) Grown taller since the day before.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
2. Where does Septimus place his letter after he has read it?
3. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
4. Septimus claims he will not fight Chater because __________________________.
5. Brice claims that as a tutor, Septimus must __________________________.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)