|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lady Croom vexed with her husband?
(a) He is determined to duel with Septimus.
(b) He is determined to change the garden.
(c) He has had an affair with Mrs. Chater.
(d) He is determined to duel with Lord Byron.
2. Septimus calls attention to ______________________.
(a) Noakes' affair with Lady Croom.
(b) Brice's affair with Thomasina.
(c) Brice's affair with Mrs. Chater.
(d) Noakes' affair with Mrs. Chater.
3. Who suggests Lady Croom's translation of Et in Arcadia Ego is incorrect?
4. What does Brice say of Septimus with regard to their duel?
(a) That Septimus will find a way to cheat.
(b) That Septimus will enlist Byron's help
(c) That Septimus is all bluster and bladder
(d) That Septimus is a formidable shot
5. Where is the proof that Byron was at Sidley Park in 1809?
(a) The proof is in a game book that records him shooting a hare.
(b) the prrof is in Lady Croom's journal.
(c) The proof is in Bernard's book on Byron.
(d) The proof is in the letter Hannah finds.
6. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
(a) Lyrical Ballads
(b) Poetical Verses
(c) The Couch of Eros
(d) English Bards and Scottish reviewers
7. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
(a) Piano music.
(b) Cello music.
(c) Violin music.
(d) Guitar music.
8. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
(a) Man's inherent evil nature.
(b) Manifest destiny.
(c) The theory of relativity.
(d) Man's free will or self-determination.
9. Which character enters and exits without speaking?
10. Lady Croom has to ask her daughter for _____________.
(a) Her middle name.
(b) Her preference in her studies.
(c) Her age.
(d) Her cooperation.
11. Why does Thomasina turn to Septimus for answers about sex?
(a) Septimus is her brother.
(b) Septimus is her tutor.
(c) Septimus never tries to deceive anyone.
(d) Septimus is honorable and chaste.
12. How does Chloe describe her brother, Gus?
(a) As a threat.
(b) As a sexist.
(c) As a savant.
(d) As a genius.
13. Chloe asks Hannah ___________________________.
(a) If she is romantically interested in Bernard.
(b) If she is married.
(c) If she is romantically interested in Gus.
(d) If she is done with her book.
14. Lady Croom believes Thomasina has _______________________.
(a) Grown more refined since the day befoe.
(b) Changed since the day before.
(c) Grown taller since the day before.
(d) Disguised herself.
15. What sound interrupts Lady Croom's conversation?
(a) A scream.
(b) Piano music.
(c) A gun shot.
(d) The steam engine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chloe claim is true of her brother?
2. What is remarkable about Thomasina's math equations?
3. Why does Brice want Septimus to accept Chater's challenge?
4. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
5. What event is going to occur at Sidley Park?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)