|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jellaby arrives to ________________________.
(a) Deliver a letter to Thomasina.
(b) Challenge Septimus to a duel.
(c) Deliver a letter to Septimus.
(d) Collect a letter from Septimus.
2. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
(a) You cannot create chaos from order.
(b) You cannot separate things permanently.
(c) You cannot stir things apart.
(d) You can't always get what you want.
3. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
(a) Lyrical Ballads
(b) Poetical Verses
(c) English Bards and Scottish reviewers
(d) The Couch of Eros
4. What does Bernard say Hannah is lacking?
(b) Gut instinct.
(d) Killer instinct.
5. Why does Thomasina turn to Septimus for answers about sex?
(a) Septimus never tries to deceive anyone.
(b) Septimus is her tutor.
(c) Septimus is her brother.
(d) Septimus is honorable and chaste.
6. What mathematical advantage does Valentine have over Thomasina?
(a) He can use a computer to compute his equations
(b) His equations are accurate
(c) He is more skilled at mathematics
(d) He is measuring something phyisical rather than emotional
7. Who enters the scene uninvited?
8. Where are the game books kept?
(a) In the commode.
(b) In the pantry.
(c) In the closet.
(d) In the attic.
9. According to Lady Croom, who has shot a pigeon?
(a) Mr. Noakes.
(b) Septimus' school friend.
(c) Lord Croom.
10. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
(a) The Raven.
(b) The Hound of the Baskervilles.
(c) The Couch of Eros.
(d) The Origin of Species.
11. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
(c) Lady Croom.
12. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
(a) Manifest destiny.
(b) Man's free will or self-determination.
(c) The theory of relativity.
(d) Man's inherent evil nature.
13. What does Thomasina believe she can plot with mathematical formulas?
(a) Shapes in nature.
(c) Manufactured images.
14. What does Gus bring Hannah?
(a) A book.
(b) An apple.
(c) A theodolite.
(d) A turtle.
15. Lady Croom wants Septimus to _______________________.
(a) Talk Byron out of leaving.
(b) Talk Brice out of leaving.
(c) Talk Chater out of leaving.
(d) Talk Thomasina out of leaving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hannah reveals that ___________________________-.
2. Where does Septimus place his letter after he has read it?
3. Brice claims that as a tutor, Septimus must __________________________.
4. Why is Lady Croom vexed with her husband?
5. When he learns he might find information about Byron, Bernard makes arrangements to _______________.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)