|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
(a) The theory of relativity.
(b) Man's free will or self-determination.
(c) Man's inherent evil nature.
(d) Manifest destiny.
2. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard should hide his car?
(a) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not ride bicycles.
(b) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not drive carriages.
(c) Lord Croom would not allow guests with Japanese cars.
(d) Lord Croom would not allow guests who drove foreign cars.
3. Who seems particularly offended by Septimus' dalliance with Mrs. Chater?
(b) Lord Croom.
4. Hannah reveals that ___________________________-.
(a) Septimus and Byron were lovers.
(b) Septimus and Byron did not get along.
(c) Septimus and Byron duelled at Sidley Park.
(d) Septimus and Byron were school mates.
5. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
(a) Lady Croom.
(b) Mrs. Chater.
(c) Mr. Noakes.
(d) Mr. Chater.
6. Lady Croom believes Thomasina has _______________________.
(a) Grown taller since the day before.
(b) Disguised herself.
(c) Grown more refined since the day befoe.
(d) Changed since the day before.
7. In what year does the play begin?
(c) The present.
8. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
9. What sounds end the scene?
(a) Piano music and the steam engine.
(b) Violin music and crows crying.
(c) A gun shot and crows crying.
(d) A gun shot and piano music.
10. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
(c) Lady Croom.
11. How does Chloe describe her brother, Gus?
(a) As a sexist.
(b) As a genius.
(c) As a savant.
(d) As a threat.
12. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
(a) Throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
(b) Throwing one's arms around a lover.
(c) Throwing one's arms around a cow.
(d) Throwing one's arms around an animal.
13. Why does Gus run out of the room at the end of the scene?
(a) He is bothered by the pistol shot
(b) He is jealous of Chloe's affection for Bernard
(c) He feels Valentine is disrespectful of Byron
(d) He hates people shouting
14. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
(a) English Bards and Scottish reviewers
(b) The Couch of Eros
(c) Lyrical Ballads
(d) Poetical Verses
15. Chater accuses Septimus of __________________-.
(a) Stealing his wife.
(b) Betraying his wife.
(c) Insulting his wife.
(d) Misleading his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time has Septimus agreed to duel Chater?
2. Chloe asks Hannah ___________________________.
3. What does Hannah's letter prove?
4. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
5. Which character enters and exits without speaking?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)