|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
(a) You cannot stir things apart.
(b) You can't always get what you want.
(c) You cannot separate things permanently.
(d) You cannot create chaos from order.
2. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
(a) Manifest destiny.
(b) The theory of relativity.
(c) Man's free will or self-determination.
(d) Man's inherent evil nature.
3. Where does Septimus place his letter after he has read it?
(a) In his pocket.
(b) In Thomasina's trainer.
(c) In the pages of his copy of The Couch of Eros.
(d) Underneath the table.
4. Brice claims that as a tutor, Septimus must __________________________.
(a) Keep Thomasina in ignorance of certain matters.
(b) Guard Thomasina from gossip.
(c) Inform Thomasina thoroughly in every matter.
(d) Ignore Thomasina's requests for information.
5. What does Brice say of Septimus with regard to their duel?
(a) That Septimus is all bluster and bladder
(b) That Septimus will find a way to cheat.
(c) That Septimus will enlist Byron's help
(d) That Septimus is a formidable shot
6. What does Gus bring Hannah?
(a) A book.
(b) An apple.
(c) A theodolite.
(d) A turtle.
7. What piece of gossip does Thomasina mention to Septimus?
(a) Mrs. Chater was found in carnal embrace in the gazebo.
(b) Mrs. Chater was asked to leave Sidley Park.
(c) Mrs. Chater was discovered in bed with Lord Byron.
(d) Mrs. Chater was discovered in bed with Mr. Noakes.
8. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
(a) Marrying Mrs. Chater when she becomes a widow.
(b) A second affair with Mrs. Croom.
(c) A second duel with Chater.
(d) Taking on another pupil.
9. Who suggests Lady Croom's translation of Et in Arcadia Ego is incorrect?
10. Lady Croom has to ask her daughter for _____________.
(a) Her cooperation.
(b) Her preference in her studies.
(c) Her middle name.
(d) Her age.
11. Where are the game books kept?
(a) In the pantry.
(b) In the commode.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In the closet.
12. Chater accuses Septimus of __________________-.
(a) Stealing his wife.
(b) Misleading his wife.
(c) Betraying his wife.
(d) Insulting his wife.
13. Who seems particularly offended by Septimus' dalliance with Mrs. Chater?
(a) Lord Croom.
14. What is Hannah's gift to Bernard?
(a) A letter from Byron to Mrs. Chater.
(b) The three letters from Septimus' book.
(c) A letter from Byron to Septimus.
(d) A letter from Lady Croom to her husband.
15. Septimus admits to ______________________.
(a) Ignoring Chater's wife.
(b) Making love to Chater's wife.
(c) Slandering Chater's wife.
(d) Running away with Chater's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
2. Brice accuses Septimus of ___________.
3. What does Septimus receive at the beginning of the scene?
4. Where is the proof that Byron was at Sidley Park in 1809?
5. When he learns he might find information about Byron, Bernard makes arrangements to _______________.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)