|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thomasina believes she has made a discovery in ______________.
2. Septimus calls attention to ______________________.
(a) Brice's affair with Thomasina.
(b) Noakes' affair with Mrs. Chater.
(c) Noakes' affair with Lady Croom.
(d) Brice's affair with Mrs. Chater.
3. Why does Gus run out of the room at the end of the scene?
(a) He hates people shouting
(b) He is jealous of Chloe's affection for Bernard
(c) He feels Valentine is disrespectful of Byron
(d) He is bothered by the pistol shot
4. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard did not receive a reply to his letter from Lord Croom?
(a) It was illegible.
(b) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a manuscript.
(c) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom did not read those letters.
(d) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a bill.
5. Lady Croom has to ask her daughter for _____________.
(a) Her age.
(b) Her preference in her studies.
(c) Her cooperation.
(d) Her middle name.
6. Where are the game books kept?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In the commode.
(c) In the closet.
(d) In the pantry.
7. Where does Chater ask Septimus to join him?
(a) In the gun room.
(b) In the hermitage.
(c) In the sun room.
(d) In the garden.
8. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
(a) Because Cleopatra was consumed with love and sex.
(b) Because Cleopatra hated Queen Elizabeth.
(c) Because Cleopatra destroyed Rome.
(d) Because Cleopatra spoke Latin.
9. What does Chloe claim is true of her brother?
(a) She claims he has fought a duel.
(b) She claims he is in love with Hannah.
(c) She claims he has information about her book.
(d) She claims he is leaving Sidley Park for good.
10. Where does the play take place?
(a) Central Park, New York.
(b) Sydney Park, Australia.
(c) Sidley Park, Derbyshire.
(d) Rosings Park, Derbyshire.
11. What does Gus bring Hannah?
(a) A theodolite.
(b) A turtle.
(c) An apple.
(d) A book.
12. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
(a) Relativity and absolute truth.
(b) Ignorance and knowledge.
(c) Asthetic freedom versus asthetic limitations.
(d) Free will and determination.
13. Thomasina is also upset over _________________________.
(a) Septimus' lack of mathematical vision
(b) The advances of Captain Brice
(c) Augustus' endless teasing
(d) The lost plays of of the Athenians and Aristotle's library.
14. How does Thomasina's mathematical process differ from Valentine's?
(a) Thomasina is interested in art; Valentine is interested in science
(b) Thomasina's math is emotional; Valentine's math is analytical
(c) Thomasina uses calculus; Valentine uses algebra
(d) Thomasina begins with the equation; Valentine begins with data
15. What piece of gossip does Thomasina mention to Septimus?
(a) Mrs. Chater was asked to leave Sidley Park.
(b) Mrs. Chater was discovered in bed with Mr. Noakes.
(c) Mrs. Chater was discovered in bed with Lord Byron.
(d) Mrs. Chater was found in carnal embrace in the gazebo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
2. What does Hannah's letter prove?
3. Who is Mr. Noakes?
4. Thomasina describes the hermit in her drawing to _____________________.
5. What is the one word Valentine repeats in her first two entrances?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)