|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Septimus mentions death in Arcadia, Thomasina responds ____________________.
(a) Phooey to Death!
(b) Death be damned!
(c) Death is inevitable.
(d) Death cannot stop true love!
2. Who arrives after Hannah exits?
(a) Valentine and Gus.
(b) Bernard and Gus.
(c) Chloe and Bernard.
(d) Chloe and Valentine.
3. Septimus calls attention to ______________________.
(a) Brice's affair with Thomasina.
(b) Noakes' affair with Lady Croom.
(c) Noakes' affair with Mrs. Chater.
(d) Brice's affair with Mrs. Chater.
4. Why does Gus run out of the room at the end of the scene?
(a) He hates people shouting
(b) He is jealous of Chloe's affection for Bernard
(c) He is bothered by the pistol shot
(d) He feels Valentine is disrespectful of Byron
5. What mathematical advantage does Valentine have over Thomasina?
(a) He is measuring something phyisical rather than emotional
(b) His equations are accurate
(c) He can use a computer to compute his equations
(d) He is more skilled at mathematics
6. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
(a) Because Cleopatra hated Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Because Cleopatra spoke Latin.
(c) Because Cleopatra was consumed with love and sex.
(d) Because Cleopatra destroyed Rome.
7. Where does the play take place?
(a) Sydney Park, Australia.
(b) Rosings Park, Derbyshire.
(c) Sidley Park, Derbyshire.
(d) Central Park, New York.
8. In what year does the play begin?
(d) The present.
9. Why does Bernard think Byron engaged in a duel at Sidley Park?
(a) He has discovered Septimus' letters in The Couch of Eros.
(b) He has discovered that Byron later married Mrs. Chater.
(c) He has discovered that Byron left England in a hurry.
(d) He has discovered Byron's journal from the days he spent at Sidley Park.
10. At what time has Septimus agreed to duel Chater?
(b) Five o'clock
11. What sound interrupts Lady Croom's conversation?
(a) A scream.
(b) Piano music.
(c) A gun shot.
(d) The steam engine.
12. Thomasina is ___________________.
(a) Translating Hebrew.
(b) Translating Latin.
(c) Translating Italian.
(d) Translating Greek.
13. Thomasina believes she has made a discovery in ______________.
14. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
15. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
(a) Throwing one's arms around an animal.
(b) Throwing one's arms around a lover.
(c) Throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
(d) Throwing one's arms around a cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
2. Brice accuses Septimus of ___________.
3. Who seems particularly offended by Septimus' dalliance with Mrs. Chater?
4. What does Septimus receive at the beginning of the scene?
5. Lady Croom believes Thomasina has _______________________.
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)