|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Septimus place his letter after he has read it?
(a) In his pocket.
(b) Underneath the table.
(c) In the pages of his copy of The Couch of Eros.
(d) In Thomasina's trainer.
2. Why does Bernard think Byron engaged in a duel at Sidley Park?
(a) He has discovered Byron's journal from the days he spent at Sidley Park.
(b) He has discovered Septimus' letters in The Couch of Eros.
(c) He has discovered that Byron later married Mrs. Chater.
(d) He has discovered that Byron left England in a hurry.
3. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
4. Septimus claims he will not fight Chater because __________________________.
(a) He will not shoot a religious man.
(b) He will not shoot a guest of Lady Croom's.
(c) He will not shoot a man whose wife has cuckolded him.
(d) He will not shoot a first rank poet.
5. Septimus admits to ______________________.
(a) Slandering Chater's wife.
(b) Running away with Chater's wife.
(c) Making love to Chater's wife.
(d) Ignoring Chater's wife.
6. What is Hannah's gift to Bernard?
(a) A letter from Lady Croom to her husband.
(b) A letter from Byron to Septimus.
(c) A letter from Byron to Mrs. Chater.
(d) The three letters from Septimus' book.
7. Whose poem is Septimus reading?
(a) Lord Byron's.
(b) Ezra Pound's.
(c) Ezra Chater's.
8. Why is Hannah at Sidley Park?
(a) She is writing a history of the garden.
(b) She is writing a history of Byron's duels.
(c) She is writing a history of Lord Croom.
(d) She is writing a history of Noakes.
9. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard should hide his car?
(a) Lord Croom would not allow guests who drove foreign cars.
(b) Lord Croom would not allow guests with Japanese cars.
(c) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not ride bicycles.
(d) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not drive carriages.
10. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
(a) Man's free will or self-determination.
(b) Manifest destiny.
(c) The theory of relativity.
(d) Man's inherent evil nature.
11. What does Brice say of Septimus with regard to their duel?
(a) That Septimus is a formidable shot
(b) That Septimus is all bluster and bladder
(c) That Septimus will find a way to cheat.
(d) That Septimus will enlist Byron's help
12. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
(a) Throwing one's arms around a cow.
(b) Throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
(c) Throwing one's arms around a lover.
(d) Throwing one's arms around an animal.
13. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
(c) Lady Croom.
14. What mathematical advantage does Valentine have over Thomasina?
(a) His equations are accurate
(b) He can use a computer to compute his equations
(c) He is more skilled at mathematics
(d) He is measuring something phyisical rather than emotional
15. What sound accompanies the dialogue in parts of the scene?
(a) Violin music.
(b) Piano music.
(c) Cello music.
(d) Guitar music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Croom claims her garden is currently arranged ______________________.
2. Jellaby arrives to ________________________.
3. What false last name does Chloe give Bernard?
4. What sound recurs in this scene?
5. Thomasina is also upset over _________________________.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)