|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Valentine's turtle?
2. Chloe asks Hannah ___________________________.
(a) If she is done with her book.
(b) If she is romantically interested in Gus.
(c) If she is married.
(d) If she is romantically interested in Bernard.
3. Chater realizes that Byron intends ____________________.
(a) To give him a bad review.
(b) To leave with Mrs. Chater.
(c) To give him a positive review.
(d) To challenge him to a duel.
4. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
(a) Lady Croom.
(b) Mrs. Chater.
(c) Mr. Noakes.
(d) Mr. Chater.
5. What does Chloe claim is true of her brother?
(a) She claims he has fought a duel.
(b) She claims he has information about her book.
(c) She claims he is leaving Sidley Park for good.
(d) She claims he is in love with Hannah.
6. What sound interrupts Lady Croom's conversation?
(a) Piano music.
(b) The steam engine.
(c) A gun shot.
(d) A scream.
7. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
(a) Thomasina believes Septimus loves only her.
(b) The servants discovered her listening and stopped talking.
(c) Thomasina believes Septimus is in love with her mother.
(d) The servants tried to cover up for Septimus.
8. Why does Brice want Septimus to accept Chater's challenge?
(a) He is upset over Septimus' affair with Lady Croom.
(b) He is in love with Mrs. Chater himself.
(c) He is in love with Thomasina and wants Septimus dead.
(d) He is upset over Septimus' affair with Mrs. Brice.
9. Why is Hannah skeptical of Bernard's conclusion regarding Byron's duel with Chater?
(a) Byron was lame and could not shoot
(b) Bernard has only proved that a duel was fought.
(c) Chater died from a monkey bite
(d) He has not established that Byron was even there
10. Where does the play take place?
(a) Sydney Park, Australia.
(b) Sidley Park, Derbyshire.
(c) Central Park, New York.
(d) Rosings Park, Derbyshire.
11. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
(a) Relativity and absolute truth.
(b) Ignorance and knowledge.
(c) Asthetic freedom versus asthetic limitations.
(d) Free will and determination.
12. Thomasina believes she has made a discovery in ______________.
13. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
(a) Manifest destiny.
(b) Man's free will or self-determination.
(c) The theory of relativity.
(d) Man's inherent evil nature.
14. Septimus' reply to the letter is _____________________________.
(a) That he needs time to consider Chater's challenge.
(b) That he will not dignify Chater with a response.
(c) That he is unable to meet with Chater that day.
(d) That he will meet Chater after he is done teaching.
15. Where does Septimus place his letter after he has read it?
(a) In Thomasina's trainer.
(b) In the pages of his copy of The Couch of Eros.
(c) In his pocket.
(d) Underneath the table.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the game books kept?
2. What is Hannah reading at the beginning of the scene?
3. Hannah reveals that ___________________________-.
4. Septimus admits to ______________________.
5. Why does Bernard think Byron engaged in a duel at Sidley Park?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)