|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the play take place?
(a) Rosings Park, Derbyshire.
(b) Central Park, New York.
(c) Sydney Park, Australia.
(d) Sidley Park, Derbyshire.
2. Why does Brice want Septimus to accept Chater's challenge?
(a) He is upset over Septimus' affair with Mrs. Brice.
(b) He is in love with Thomasina and wants Septimus dead.
(c) He is in love with Mrs. Chater himself.
(d) He is upset over Septimus' affair with Lady Croom.
3. What does Septimus receive at the beginning of the scene?
(a) An apple.
(b) Another letter.
(c) Another turtle.
(d) A book.
4. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
(a) The Couch of Eros
(b) Lyrical Ballads
(c) English Bards and Scottish reviewers
(d) Poetical Verses
5. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
(a) Free will and determination.
(b) Asthetic freedom versus asthetic limitations.
(c) Relativity and absolute truth.
(d) Ignorance and knowledge.
6. What does Bernard say Hannah is lacking?
(a) Killer instinct.
(b) Gut instinct.
7. Where does Septimus place his letter after he has read it?
(a) In the pages of his copy of The Couch of Eros.
(b) Underneath the table.
(c) In Thomasina's trainer.
(d) In his pocket.
8. What has Valentine's mother loaned Bernard?
(a) Her bicycle
(b) Her car
(c) Her first edition of The Couch of Eros
(d) Her notes on gardening
9. What piece of gossip does Thomasina mention to Septimus?
(a) Mrs. Chater was discovered in bed with Mr. Noakes.
(b) Mrs. Chater was found in carnal embrace in the gazebo.
(c) Mrs. Chater was asked to leave Sidley Park.
(d) Mrs. Chater was discovered in bed with Lord Byron.
10. Lady Croom has to ask her daughter for _____________.
(a) Her cooperation.
(b) Her preference in her studies.
(c) Her age.
(d) Her middle name.
11. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his work on Byron.
(b) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
(c) He lies about his job.
(d) He lies about his name.
12. At what time has Septimus agreed to duel Chater?
(d) Five o'clock
13. What false last name does Chloe give Bernard?
14. Septimus' reply to the letter is _____________________________.
(a) That he will not dignify Chater with a response.
(b) That he will meet Chater after he is done teaching.
(c) That he needs time to consider Chater's challenge.
(d) That he is unable to meet with Chater that day.
15. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
(a) Taking on another pupil.
(b) Marrying Mrs. Chater when she becomes a widow.
(c) A second affair with Mrs. Croom.
(d) A second duel with Chater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
2. Chloe asks Hannah ___________________________.
3. Thomasina describes the hermit in her drawing to _____________________.
4. For what reason has Hannah enlisted Valentine in this scene?
5. What does Hannah demand of Bernard that prompts him to call her a silly bitch?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)