|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
(b) He lies about his job.
(c) He lies about his name.
(d) He lies about his work on Byron.
2. What is Hannah's gift to Bernard?
(a) The three letters from Septimus' book.
(b) A letter from Byron to Septimus.
(c) A letter from Lady Croom to her husband.
(d) A letter from Byron to Mrs. Chater.
3. Whose poem is Septimus reading?
(a) Lord Byron's.
(b) Ezra Pound's.
(d) Ezra Chater's.
4. What does Gus bring Hannah?
(a) An apple.
(b) A theodolite.
(c) A book.
(d) A turtle.
5. Thomasina is ___________________.
(a) Translating Hebrew.
(b) Translating Latin.
(c) Translating Greek.
(d) Translating Italian.
6. What does Hannah's letter prove?
(a) It proves that Chater was dead by 1810.
(b) It proves that Brice wanted to kill Byron.
(c) It proves that Byron was dead by 1810.
(d) It proves that Byron duelled with Chater in 1809.
7. What has Valentine's mother loaned Bernard?
(a) Her notes on gardening
(b) Her bicycle
(c) Her first edition of The Couch of Eros
(d) Her car
8. When he learns he might find information about Byron, Bernard makes arrangements to _______________.
(a) Hide his car from Lord Croom.
(b) Stay at Sidley Park.
(c) Begin writing a book.
(d) Stay in town.
9. Where does Chater ask Septimus to join him?
(a) In the sun room.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In the hermitage.
(d) In the gun room.
10. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
(a) Throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
(b) Throwing one's arms around an animal.
(c) Throwing one's arms around a cow.
(d) Throwing one's arms around a lover.
11. Septimus admits to ______________________.
(a) Making love to Chater's wife.
(b) Slandering Chater's wife.
(c) Running away with Chater's wife.
(d) Ignoring Chater's wife.
12. What sound effect is heard constantly throughout this scene?
(a) Mr. Noakes' engine
(b) Rifle fire
(c) Clicking of a pen
(d) Piano music in the next room
13. What false last name does Chloe give Bernard?
14. Brice claims that as a tutor, Septimus must __________________________.
(a) Inform Thomasina thoroughly in every matter.
(b) Keep Thomasina in ignorance of certain matters.
(c) Guard Thomasina from gossip.
(d) Ignore Thomasina's requests for information.
15. What does Brice say of Septimus with regard to their duel?
(a) That Septimus will find a way to cheat.
(b) That Septimus will enlist Byron's help
(c) That Septimus is a formidable shot
(d) That Septimus is all bluster and bladder
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives after Hannah exits?
2. Chater realizes that Byron intends ____________________.
3. Thomasina is also upset over _________________________.
4. Jellaby arrives to ________________________.
5. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)