|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hannah's gift to Bernard?
(a) The three letters from Septimus' book.
(b) A letter from Lady Croom to her husband.
(c) A letter from Byron to Septimus.
(d) A letter from Byron to Mrs. Chater.
2. Lady Croom wants Septimus to _______________________.
(a) Talk Thomasina out of leaving.
(b) Talk Byron out of leaving.
(c) Talk Chater out of leaving.
(d) Talk Brice out of leaving.
3. Septimus tells Thomasina she must not be _________________________.
(a) Wealthier than her elders.
(b) Disrespectful to her elders.
(c) Cleverer than her elders
(d) Impolite to her elders.
4. What has Valentine's mother loaned Bernard?
(a) Her car
(b) Her bicycle
(c) Her first edition of The Couch of Eros
(d) Her notes on gardening
5. Hannah reveals that ___________________________-.
(a) Septimus and Byron duelled at Sidley Park.
(b) Septimus and Byron were lovers.
(c) Septimus and Byron did not get along.
(d) Septimus and Byron were school mates.
6. What sounds end the scene?
(a) Violin music and crows crying.
(b) Piano music and the steam engine.
(c) A gun shot and crows crying.
(d) A gun shot and piano music.
7. What mathematical advantage does Valentine have over Thomasina?
(a) His equations are accurate
(b) He can use a computer to compute his equations
(c) He is measuring something phyisical rather than emotional
(d) He is more skilled at mathematics
8. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
(b) He lies about his job.
(c) He lies about his work on Byron.
(d) He lies about his name.
9. According to Lady Croom, who has shot a pigeon?
(b) Mr. Noakes.
(c) Septimus' school friend.
(d) Lord Croom.
10. Septimus admits to ______________________.
(a) Making love to Chater's wife.
(b) Slandering Chater's wife.
(c) Ignoring Chater's wife.
(d) Running away with Chater's wife.
11. What does Bernard say Hannah is lacking?
(a) Gut instinct.
(d) Killer instinct.
12. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard did not receive a reply to his letter from Lord Croom?
(a) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a manuscript.
(b) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a bill.
(c) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom did not read those letters.
(d) It was illegible.
13. Septimus claims he will not fight Chater because __________________________.
(a) He will not shoot a man whose wife has cuckolded him.
(b) He will not shoot a first rank poet.
(c) He will not shoot a religious man.
(d) He will not shoot a guest of Lady Croom's.
14. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
(a) A second duel with Chater.
(b) Taking on another pupil.
(c) A second affair with Mrs. Croom.
(d) Marrying Mrs. Chater when she becomes a widow.
15. Lady Croom has to ask her daughter for _____________.
(a) Her cooperation.
(b) Her middle name.
(c) Her preference in her studies.
(d) Her age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Noakes?
2. Why does Thomasina hate Cleopatra?
3. Thomasina describes the hermit in her drawing to _____________________.
4. Why is Hannah skeptical of Bernard's conclusion regarding Byron's duel with Chater?
5. What sound interrupts Lady Croom's conversation?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)