|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard should hide his car?
(a) Lord Croom would not allow guests who drove foreign cars.
(b) Lord Croom would not allow guests with Japanese cars.
(c) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not drive carriages.
(d) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not ride bicycles.
2. What is Hannah reading at the beginning of the scene?
(a) The Couch of Eros
(b) The journal of Lord Byron
(c) The journal of Thomasina Coverly
(d) A letter from Septimus
3. Septimus admits to ______________________.
(a) Slandering Chater's wife.
(b) Ignoring Chater's wife.
(c) Making love to Chater's wife.
(d) Running away with Chater's wife.
4. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his job.
(b) He lies about his work on Byron.
(c) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
(d) He lies about his name.
5. Where does Chater ask Septimus to join him?
(a) In the hermitage.
(b) In the sun room.
(c) In the garden.
(d) In the gun room.
6. Thomasina's discussion of rice pudding proves, in her words, that _______________________.
(a) You cannot create chaos from order.
(b) You can't always get what you want.
(c) You cannot separate things permanently.
(d) You cannot stir things apart.
7. What does Gus bring Hannah?
(a) A turtle.
(b) An apple.
(c) A book.
(d) A theodolite.
8. What false last name does Chloe give Bernard?
9. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
(a) Because Noakes tried to lead Septimus into temptation.
(b) Because Noakes discovered Septimus' tryst and told others about it.
(c) Because Noakes discovered Mrs. Chater with Byron, but accused Septimus instead.
(d) Because Noakes is dishonest.
10. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
(a) Mr. Chater.
(b) Lady Croom.
(c) Mr. Noakes.
(d) Mrs. Chater.
11. Lady Croom believes Thomasina has _______________________.
(a) Grown more refined since the day befoe.
(b) Disguised herself.
(c) Grown taller since the day before.
(d) Changed since the day before.
12. Lady Croom wants Septimus to _______________________.
(a) Talk Thomasina out of leaving.
(b) Talk Chater out of leaving.
(c) Talk Brice out of leaving.
(d) Talk Byron out of leaving.
13. What book is Byron mentioned as the author of?
(a) Lyrical Ballads
(b) English Bards and Scottish reviewers
(c) Poetical Verses
(d) The Couch of Eros
14. Thomasina is also upset over _________________________.
(a) The lost plays of of the Athenians and Aristotle's library.
(b) Augustus' endless teasing
(c) The advances of Captain Brice
(d) Septimus' lack of mathematical vision
15. Septimus tells Thomasina she must not be _________________________.
(a) Impolite to her elders.
(b) Cleverer than her elders
(c) Wealthier than her elders.
(d) Disrespectful to her elders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomasina is ___________________.
2. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
3. What is Hannah's gift to Bernard?
4. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
5. How does Chloe describe her brother, Gus?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)