|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard did not receive a reply to his letter from Lord Croom?
(a) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a bill.
(b) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom did not read those letters.
(c) It was illegible.
(d) It was typewritten, and Lord Croom thought it was a manuscript.
2. Where are the game books kept?
(a) In the commode.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the closet.
(d) In the pantry.
3. Why does Valentine suggest Bernard should hide his car?
(a) Lord Croom would not allow guests with Japanese cars.
(b) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not ride bicycles.
(c) Lord Croom would not allow guests who drove foreign cars.
(d) Lord Croom would not allow guests who did not drive carriages.
4. What does Bernard say Hannah is lacking?
(c) Killer instinct.
(d) Gut instinct.
5. What mathematical advantage does Valentine have over Thomasina?
(a) He can use a computer to compute his equations
(b) His equations are accurate
(c) He is measuring something phyisical rather than emotional
(d) He is more skilled at mathematics
6. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
(a) Asthetic freedom versus asthetic limitations.
(b) Relativity and absolute truth.
(c) Free will and determination.
(d) Ignorance and knowledge.
7. When he learns he might find information about Byron, Bernard makes arrangements to _______________.
(a) Begin writing a book.
(b) Stay in town.
(c) Hide his car from Lord Croom.
(d) Stay at Sidley Park.
8. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
(a) Because Noakes is dishonest.
(b) Because Noakes tried to lead Septimus into temptation.
(c) Because Noakes discovered Septimus' tryst and told others about it.
(d) Because Noakes discovered Mrs. Chater with Byron, but accused Septimus instead.
9. Hannah reveals that ___________________________-.
(a) Septimus and Byron duelled at Sidley Park.
(b) Septimus and Byron did not get along.
(c) Septimus and Byron were lovers.
(d) Septimus and Byron were school mates.
10. Who is onstage when the scene begins?
(d) Lady Croom.
11. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
(a) The servants discovered her listening and stopped talking.
(b) Thomasina believes Septimus is in love with her mother.
(c) Thomasina believes Septimus loves only her.
(d) The servants tried to cover up for Septimus.
12. Thomasina delivers a letter from ________________.
(a) Mr. Noakes.
(b) Mr. Chater.
(c) Lady Croom.
(d) Mrs. Chater.
13. What false last name does Chloe give Bernard?
14. What sound effect is heard constantly throughout this scene?
(a) Clicking of a pen
(b) Piano music in the next room
(c) Rifle fire
(d) Mr. Noakes' engine
15. What does Gus bring Hannah?
(a) An apple.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A theodolite.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Croom wants Septimus to _______________________.
2. When Septimus mentions death in Arcadia, Thomasina responds ____________________.
3. Septimus admits to ______________________.
4. How does Thomasina's mathematical process differ from Valentine's?
5. Where is the proof that Byron was at Sidley Park in 1809?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)