Short Answer Key
Act 1, Scene 1, Part 1
1. In what year does the play begin?
2. Where does the play take place?
Sidley Park, Derbyshire.
3. Whose poem is Septimus reading?
4. Who is Mr. Noakes?
The landscape architect.
5. What piece of gossip does Thomasina mention to Septimus?
Mrs. Chater was found in carnal embrace in the gazebo.
6. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
The Couch of Eros.
7. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
Throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
8. Thomasina is supposed to be studying
9. Why does Thomasina turn to Septimus for answers about sex?
Septimus is her tutor.
10. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
Because Noakes discovered Septimus' tryst and told others about it.
11. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding...
This section contains 2,387 words|
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)