|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gus run out of the room at the end of the scene?
(a) He is bothered by the pistol shot
(b) He feels Valentine is disrespectful of Byron
(c) He is jealous of Chloe's affection for Bernard
(d) He hates people shouting
2. How does Thomasina's mathematical process differ from Valentine's?
(a) Thomasina is interested in art; Valentine is interested in science
(b) Thomasina's math is emotional; Valentine's math is analytical
(c) Thomasina uses calculus; Valentine uses algebra
(d) Thomasina begins with the equation; Valentine begins with data
3. How does Bernard first mislead Hannah?
(a) He lies about his job.
(b) He lies about his name.
(c) He lies about his work on Byron.
(d) He lies about his relationship with Chloe.
4. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
(a) Throwing one's arms around a cow.
(b) Throwing one's arms around a lover.
(c) Throwing one's arms around an animal.
(d) Throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
5. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
(a) Relativity and absolute truth.
(b) Asthetic freedom versus asthetic limitations.
(c) Ignorance and knowledge.
(d) Free will and determination.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Thomasina turn to Septimus for answers about sex?
2. Thomasina does not discover that Septimus was found with Mrs. Chater because_____________________________.
3. Septimus compares Thomasina's rice pudding analogy to _____________________________.
4. What is the one word Valentine repeats in her first two entrances?
5. Brice accuses Septimus of ___________.
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)