|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Septimus describes carnal embrace as _______________________.
(a) Throwing one's arms around an animal.
(b) Throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
(c) Throwing one's arms around a lover.
(d) Throwing one's arms around a cow.
2. Chater accuses Septimus of __________________-.
(a) Misleading his wife.
(b) Insulting his wife.
(c) Betraying his wife.
(d) Stealing his wife.
3. Whose poem is Septimus reading?
(b) Ezra Chater's.
(c) Ezra Pound's.
(d) Lord Byron's.
4. Septimus claims he will not fight Chater because __________________________.
(a) He will not shoot a religious man.
(b) He will not shoot a man whose wife has cuckolded him.
(c) He will not shoot a first rank poet.
(d) He will not shoot a guest of Lady Croom's.
5. Why does Bernard think Byron engaged in a duel at Sidley Park?
(a) He has discovered Septimus' letters in The Couch of Eros.
(b) He has discovered Byron's journal from the days he spent at Sidley Park.
(c) He has discovered that Byron left England in a hurry.
(d) He has discovered that Byron later married Mrs. Chater.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosophical concepts do Septimus and Thomasina discuss in the scene?
2. What is the title of the poem Septimus is reading?
3. What does Septimus agree to at the end of the scene?
4. Who seems particularly offended by Septimus' dalliance with Mrs. Chater?
5. Thomasina is ___________________.
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)