|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Septimus describe Noakes as the serpent in the garden?
(a) Because Noakes discovered Septimus' tryst and told others about it.
(b) Because Noakes discovered Mrs. Chater with Byron, but accused Septimus instead.
(c) Because Noakes is dishonest.
(d) Because Noakes tried to lead Septimus into temptation.
2. Septimus claims he will not fight Chater because __________________________.
(a) He will not shoot a guest of Lady Croom's.
(b) He will not shoot a first rank poet.
(c) He will not shoot a man whose wife has cuckolded him.
(d) He will not shoot a religious man.
3. What false last name does Chloe give Bernard?
4. Septimus' reply to the letter is _____________________________.
(a) That he is unable to meet with Chater that day.
(b) That he needs time to consider Chater's challenge.
(c) That he will not dignify Chater with a response.
(d) That he will meet Chater after he is done teaching.
5. Where does Chater ask Septimus to join him?
(a) In the garden.
(b) In the hermitage.
(c) In the sun room.
(d) In the gun room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests Lady Croom's translation of Et in Arcadia Ego is incorrect?
2. Thomasina describes the hermit in her drawing to _____________________.
3. Where does the play take place?
4. In what year does the play begin?
5. Lady Croom has to ask her daughter for _____________.
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)