|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. White was upset about the cost of what?
2. In which book of the Bible does the story of the Prodigal Son appear?
3. In Michigan, how many armed people make up a mob?
4. What organization could not stand up to cross examination?
5. What was the verdict in the Henry Sweet trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from notoriety, how did Darrow's presence help the Sweet case?
2. How did White approach the Sweets' lawyers? What was the outcome of the meeting?
3. Discuss the replacement of Hays on the defense team.
4. Name at least one of the obstacles involved in Darrow and Hays joining the legal team on the Sweet case.
5. What was one topic on which many of the people at the scene could not agree?
6. What was the resolution between Rowlette and the NAACP?
7. What was agreed upon by the court and the defense?
8. What happened during jury selection?
9. How was the legal team for the Sweets finally united?
10. How did Darrow's involvement change the tone of national press coverage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ossian Sweet was dedicated to obtaining impressive credentials and prestige in the black community. Examine Sweet's need for prestige and the actions he took to get the necessary accomplishments and credentials. What did it mean to have prestige in 1925 in Detroit? Did Sweet accomplish his goals?
Essay Topic 2
In Detroit in the 1920s, Detroit was a growing city. Amongst the things that existed in Detroit at that time were speakeasies, gangsters, prohibition, and political corruption. Explain in detail the culture and lifestyle in Detroit and how the characters in the story were affected by each.
Essay Topic 3
The NAACP had a great deal of involvement in the Sweet case. Explain how the NAACP got involved, who supported the Detroit faction, and who was against the NAACP. Write a detailed opinion on your views regarding the NAACP's involvement. Was it a hindrance or a help? Examine the actions and motives of the organization.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)