|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence did Kennedy find at the Sweet home?
2. Who presented the defendants with a document that awaited their signatures?
3. Who was slated to go on trial first?
4. What did Sweet do while awaiting a new trial?
5. Where is Johnson's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Weldon Johnson?
2. How did the author describe Darrow's approach to the witnesses?
3. How did the NAACP help the Sweets and their associates in jail?
4. Why was White unhappy with the decision made by the court?
5. Name at least one of the obstacles involved in Darrow and Hays joining the legal team on the Sweet case.
6. What was agreed upon by the court and the defense?
7. How did the men explain their presence at the Sweets' house?
8. Aside from notoriety, how did Darrow's presence help the Sweet case?
9. How did Darrow's involvement change the tone of national press coverage?
10. What was one topic on which many of the people at the scene could not agree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Detroit in 1925. Include the social, political, economical and criminal atmospheres. Also discuss the city's culture at that time, including music and other entertainment.
Essay Topic 2
In Detroit in the 1920s, Detroit was a growing city. Amongst the things that existed in Detroit at that time were speakeasies, gangsters, prohibition, and political corruption. Explain in detail the culture and lifestyle in Detroit and how the characters in the story were affected by each.
Essay Topic 3
What is the AME Church? Describe the church, its founders, mission, purpose and actions. Where was the church based? How many affiliates were there? How was the church affiliated with the black community? How was the church tied into the Sweet case? Does the church still exist?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)