|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was missing from the court room when Darrow and Hays argued to dismiss?
2. Who did the mayor blame for racial violence?
3. The organization was found to be guilty of what?
4. What is the issue with hiring the high profile attorneys?
5. How was Sweet referred to in the media?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after the shootings on Garland Avenue?
2. List the date and names of all parties involved in opening day of the Sweet trial.
3. What happened during jury selection?
4. What was agreed upon by the court and the defense?
5. How was the legal team for the Sweets finally united?
6. Discuss the involvement of the media in the incident.
7. What was the assistant prosecutor's angle when presented the Sweet case to a judge in a pre-trial hearing?
8. Aside from notoriety, how did Darrow's presence help the Sweet case?
9. Why was White unhappy with the decision made by the court?
10. How did Sweet react to the interrogation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the family history of the Sweets, from slavery to professional success. Include as many historical facts as possible.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the actions of the police in Detroit during the riots. Compare and contrast those actions with those in other riotous situations such as riots that took place in Los Angeles, Watts, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., etc.
Essay Topic 3
Sweet wanted to study with Eiselberg and Curie, two of the most famous scientists of the time. Describe Sweet's experiences with the doctors, the things he learned, and how those experiences would benefit Sweet's medical practice in the U.S.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)