|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was important about the year?
2. How many children were in Sweet's family?
3. What was the name of the slave owner?
4. How often was the payment due on the mortgage?
5. The neighborhood is located between Detroit and what other city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the incidents that took place around the arrival of blacks in white neighborhoods.
2. Explain the Sweets' choice to send their son to Wilberforce University.
3. What kind of protection do the Sweets use to ward off any attackers?
4. What did Sweet have in common with other Negroes of the same age?
5. How did Sweet spend his first months in Detroit?
6. What new way was promoted by the Democrats?
7. What was the reaction of the slaves when they learned about Lee's surrender and the arrival of Union troops?
8. Why was the position of the slaves in Leon County different than those residing in other counties?
9. Aside from lack of racial violence, what was a main factor in the Negro migration to the north?
10. Explain the Sweets' choice to send their son to Wilberforce University.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail the processes executed by Darrow and Hays in the days prior to the trial. Include court documents, trial motions, jury selection, and preparation for presenting the case to a judge and jury.
Essay Topic 2
Give examples of specific acts of racial violence in white neighborhoods. Focus on various ethnicities, not just blacks. Also use immigrants as targets for racial and ethnic violence.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the career and professional skills of Clarence Darrow. Detail Darrow's educational history, evolution as an attorney, involvement in the Sweet case, and other famous cases in which he participated.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)