|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sweet's younger brother?
2. There was a large movement to destroy which entity?
3. In what month did the Sweets return to the U.S.?
4. Sweet dreamed of studying where?
5. What happened shortly before the Sweet's left on their journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the face of Detroit's population changing at that time?
2. Describe the social climate in Detroit in 1925.
3. In which area of Detroit did Sweet settle?
4. What kind of protection do the Sweets use to ward off any attackers?
5. Name the people with which Sweet formed a professional relationship.
6. Explain the Sweets' choice to send their son to Wilberforce University.
7. Aside from lack of racial violence, what was a main factor in the Negro migration to the north?
8. Briefly describe Sweet's family history.
9. How does Sweet's attitude change once he starts attending medical school?
10. What were the conditions like in the black section of the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of mob mentality. What is mob mentality? Is it positive or negative? How did mob mentality play a role in the story? Have you ever experienced mob mentality? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the racially aggressive groups in Detroit in the 1920s include the Ku Klux Klan, Regulators, and Whitecappers. Describe each group, its intents and purposes as well as its violent and non-violent activities.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the actions of the police in Detroit during the riots. Compare and contrast those actions with those in other riotous situations such as riots that took place in Los Angeles, Watts, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., etc.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)