|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Sweet's first name?
2. Sweet dreamed of studying where?
3. What was the name of the pharmacy where Sweet bargained for office space?
4. Who was President of the United States at this time?
5. On which date did the rally of the Waterworks Park Improvement Association take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do the Sweets move into their home? Why did Dr. Sweet choose that specific date and time?
2. Describe briefly the election debacle involving the KKK.
3. Describe Otis Sweet.
4. What was the real estate situation in Detroit at the time?
5. What were the conditions like in the black section of the city?
6. Describe some of the incidents that took place around the arrival of blacks in white neighborhoods.
7. What is causing the rapid expansion of Detroit?
8. Describe the actions of the Waterworks Park Improvement Association regarding real estate.
9. When Sweet was arrested, he carried with him a piece of evidence. What was it?
10. What did Sweet have in common with other Negroes of the same age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the AME Church? Describe the church, its founders, mission, purpose and actions. Where was the church based? How many affiliates were there? How was the church affiliated with the black community? How was the church tied into the Sweet case? Does the church still exist?
Essay Topic 2
The Sweets were held in jail without bail or the ability to have visitors. Examine if either of those things infringed on any of their civil rights. Also examine the purpose and use of Miranda rights during an arrest.
Essay Topic 3
Write how you think the Sweet trial would be handled in today's court system. How would the approach change? Would the case receive national media attention like the Sweet's case? Would the case require the intervention of the NAACP and high powered attorneys? State reasons for your opinions, using as many facts as possible.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)