|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was important about the year?
2. On what night was the meeting held?
3. Where did Sweet go to medical school?
4. What is Mrs. Sweet's first name?
5. What would it have meant if Sweet had backed out of the house deal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the position of the slaves in Leon County different than those residing in other counties?
2. Describe briefly the election debacle involving the KKK.
3. What new way was promoted by the Democrats?
4. How did Sweet spend his first months in Detroit?
5. Briefly describe Sweet's family history.
6. In which area of Detroit did Sweet settle?
7. How does Sweet's attitude change once he starts attending medical school?
8. Describe the social climate in Detroit in 1925.
9. What was the real estate situation in Detroit at the time?
10. Name two movements that came into being in full force at the end of World War I.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write how you think the Sweet trial would be handled in today's court system. How would the approach change? Would the case receive national media attention like the Sweet's case? Would the case require the intervention of the NAACP and high powered attorneys? State reasons for your opinions, using as many facts as possible.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Detroit in 1925. Include the social, political, economical and criminal atmospheres. Also discuss the city's culture at that time, including music and other entertainment.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the actions of the police in Detroit during the riots. Compare and contrast those actions with those in other riotous situations such as riots that took place in Los Angeles, Watts, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., etc.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)