|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Palestinians assume that their schools, jobs, villages, and refugee camps are filled with _____________.
2. "A __________ girl doesn't have to wait for an opportunity to move next door," said one Arab woman.
3. The Proclamation of Independence called for ________ inhabitants to preserve the peace and to build the new state as equals.
4. A teenage Bedouin girl asks for a ride back to the herd of ________ she tends.
5. Muslim females are not allowed to have _______________ even in their own faith.
(a) Premarital intimacy.
(c) Unarranged marriages.
6. A young Palestinian asks to be called Gamal as he fears additional _________ if he is found.
(c) Military retribution.
(d) Military service.
7. ___________ seems to grip the imaginations of Muslim students, according to Shipler.
8. Modern scholarship has debunked the myth that Jews and Arabs are _______________ related.
9. Where do the women on the radio program and her new partner meet during competing demonstrations?
(a) Student Workshops.
(b) Government Square.
(d) Hebrew University.
10. Neve Shalom was conceived in 1970 as an ___________ community.
11. Shipler describes the prison camp as a squalid _______, stinking of sewage and garbage.
12. ____________ by non-Israeli Arabs sharpened the government's security concerns.
13. According to Shipler, during this time, who ranked below the national average in petty crime?
(a) No one.
14. Shipler continues to find both groups of students hopefully ______________, trying to change their ways of thinking.
15. Ancient Greeks and modern Europeans both sought to assimilate the ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. A publication in 1950 said that so many Christians had converted to Islam over the years that ________ blood was an acceptable substitute.
2. Religious opposition to ___________ is fused with the Western theme of scheming to control international banking, politics, and news.
3. On the first day, the students are told to do nothing but pass each other and _________________.
4. The newborn state of __________ in 1948 pledged to uphold the full social and political equality of all its citizens.
5. Shipler points out that few Arabs know anything about ___________ as it is not covered well, if at all, in school.
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)