|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shipler describes the prison camp as a squalid _______, stinking of sewage and garbage.
2. Shipler points out that few Arabs know anything about ___________ as it is not covered well, if at all, in school.
(a) Jewish struggles.
(b) The wars.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) The history of their people.
3. Shipler describes the similarity between a __________ ceremony with the Bedouin and a Jewish passover.
(b) Hand washing.
4. ___________ seems to grip the imaginations of Muslim students, according to Shipler.
5. ___________ guards at the camp range from brutal to humane, depending on the individual.
6. All teachers and government workers are required to receive clearance from the ____________, though mostly Arabs are regularly investigated.
(c) Prime Minister.
(d) Shin Beth.
7. ____________ by non-Israeli Arabs sharpened the government's security concerns.
8. Camel caravans used to take 18 days to reach Cairo, so they would only occur __________ times a year.
9. "A __________ girl doesn't have to wait for an opportunity to move next door," said one Arab woman.
10. When one of two partners in the marriage converts, the ceremony is said to have taken place between two ____________.
11. The program allows teens to break down ___________ and confront stereotypes.
12. Palestinians assume that their schools, jobs, villages, and refugee camps are filled with _____________.
13. Neve Shalom was conceived in 1970 as an ___________ community.
14. The newborn state of __________ in 1948 pledged to uphold the full social and political equality of all its citizens.
(d) Saudi Arabia.
15. A reporter Shipler brought with him to the prison camp was a survivor of ______________.
(d) Heart disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. A young Palestinian asks to be called Gamal as he fears additional _________ if he is found.
2. What is the name of the Palestinian girl who found connections with a group of Jewish girls, only to disconnect from them after the sieges of Ramallah?
3. It's interesting to note that both Arabs and Jews are actually ____________.
4. What do Jewish children respond happened at school on days when soldiers burst into their classroom?
5. The Proclamation of Independence called for ________ inhabitants to preserve the peace and to build the new state as equals.
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)