|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the cheese left during the last step of the process?
2. When does the bond between food and pleasure begin?
3. What is the purpose of the last section?
4. What else must the vegetable have to be a good aphrodisiac?
5. What is a cult that explores the possibilities of eroticism as a path to illumination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nouvelle cuisine is not liked or trusted by the author.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What types of foods does she prefer?
Part 3) Why does she include food she does not enjoy in this book? What is her purpose for this book?
Essay Topic 2
Herbs were commonly used in love philters.
Part 1) How were they first used?
Part 2) Why were they grown in monasteries and convents?
Part 3) Why was a list of herbs blacklisted? By whom?
Essay Topic 3
Taste is almost as difficult to define as the sense of smell.
Part 1) What are the kinds of tastes?
Part 2) How does Allende remember the details of eating a grape? What does she remember about the grape?
Part 3) To what does Allende liken the courses of a meal?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)