|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were herbs and spices grown in convent and monastery gardens used for?
2. What ocean creature does not belong in the same category as fish?
3. With what are doves originally associated?
4. Why does Tabra travel with Mahmoud?
5. What triggers a woman's sexual impulses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Allende question the aphrodisiac qualities of coffee?
2. What is a fugu?
3. What are unclassifiables?
4. What are the best aphrodisiac vegetables?
5. Describe Allende's friend's blind date.
6. What types of recipes can be found?
7. What does the mistress do to kill her lover?
8. When does Allende first see cheese being made?
9. What is the origin of forks, knives, and spoons?
10. What does the modern-day Western world not know about flowers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coffee, tea, and honey are in the same category as "non-food" items.
Part 1) Why does coffee have mixed reviews as an aphrodisiac?
Part 2) What is the history of tea?
Part 3) How is honey a significant aphrodisiac?
Essay Topic 2
Catherine the Great ruled her country for half a century.
Part 1) How does become the ruler of her country?
Part 2) Why is she included in this book?
Part 3) What is the significance of Catherine the Great's daily breakfast of a caviar omelet?
Essay Topic 3
The author discusses etiquette.
Part 1) How do most cultures eat meals?
Part 2) Why do Europeans begin using forks, knives, and spoons?
Part 3) What is the relationship between restrictions and desire?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)