|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ocean creature does not belong in the same category as fish?
2. What were herbs and spices grown in convent and monastery gardens used for?
3. How many women are found in a Turkish harem in 1909?
4. What is the cause for the modern day obsession with variety?
5. What animal is rich in vitamins, minerals, and protein, low in fate, and has delicious flavor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what does this chapter consist?
2. What makes sex truly fulfilling?
3. What are the best aphrodisiac vegetables?
4. To what does Allende compare a freshly-prepared omelet?
5. What does Allende suggest should be in the home?
6. Describe Spanish Fly.
7. Describe this list.
8. How does Robert Shekter become the book's illustrator?
9. Why do domestic birds not have aphrodisiac qualities?
10. What is the greatest aphrodisiac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Certain birds have aphrodisiac qualities.
Part 1) What type of birds have aphrodisiac qualities?
Part 2) Why do some birds not have aphrodisiac qualities? What type of birds are these?
Part 3) What does Allende note about doves?
Essay Topic 2
Allende's family has certain values.
Part 1) What was valued when she was a child?
Part 2) What was not acceptable?
Part 3) When did these values change?
Essay Topic 3
Accepted gender roles are challenged.
Part 1) What is an example of an accepted gender role mentioned in this book?
Part 2) How is this gender role challenged?
Part 3) What is Allende's opinion on this gender role?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)