|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the purpose of tea in Europe, prior to becoming a popular drink?
(a) As an aphrodisiac.
(b) As a plant grown for aesthetic purposes.
(c) As a medicine.
(d) As an export.
2. What cannot be cultivated?
3. What does this chapter list?
(a) Vegetables that are considered aphrodisiac.
(b) Vegetables that are not considered aphrodisiac.
(c) Fruits that are aphrodisiac.
(d) Fruits that are not aphordisiac.
4. This last section is to be in tandem with what?
(a) The study of aphrodisiacs.
(b) The mixing of medicinal rubs.
(c) The reading of this book.
(d) The study of cooking.
5. Who developed the technique of distillation?
6. What is a lesser-known fruit she names?
(b) Star fruit.
7. What are the great motivators of history?
(a) Appetite and sex.
(b) Faith and love.
(c) Power and strength.
(d) Poverty and hunger.
8. Who pursues Colomba?
(a) Her roommate's boyfriend.
(b) Her neighbor.
(c) Her married college art professor.
(d) Her best friend.
9. How does Allende begin the chapter?
(a) With a list of recipes.
(b) With a list of her least favorite vegetables.
(c) With a list of her favorite vegetables.
(d) With an apology for any mistakes or omissions that might exist.
10. What do some birds and animal purposely do?
(a) Run into windows.
(b) Become drunk on fermented fruits.
(c) Drink wine.
(d) Make wine.
11. When is any alcohol perceived to be better?
(a) When it is chilled.
(b) When served during a meal.
(c) When it is consumed quickly.
(d) When it is served in good crystal.
12. Of what does Catherine the Great's breakfast consist?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) Vodka-laced tea and a caviar omelet.
(c) Waffles with strawberry jam.
(d) Bacon and sausage with pancakes.
13. Who convinces them to leave the pasture?
(a) An impatient bull.
(b) The insects that are biting.
(c) Colomba's conscience.
(d) The farmer who owns the pasture.
14. How many lines of information does she give about each fruit?
(a) Between eight and ten lines.
(b) Between two and eight lines.
(c) Between ten and twenty lines.
(d) Between one and two lines.
15. What are listed as fruits but are not traditionally classified as fruits in American culture?
(a) Olives and walnuts.
(b) Summer squash and almonds.
(c) Avocados and pistachios.
(d) Tomatoes and Zucchini.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the goal of this cult?
2. What type of food does Allende prefer?
3. What can love potions be created to treat?
4. For what was alcohol first used?
5. Why does the author include this section?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)