|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Allende's stepson make adjustments on the bread machine?
(a) So the bread will be lighter and fluffier.
(b) To make marijuana brownies to be sold at school.
(c) To make it toast bread.
(d) To make it grow marijuana.
2. What does the author Isabel Allende discuss in the introduction?
(a) The connections between people, sensory perception, and memory.
(b) The powers of nature.
(c) Her various trips around the world.
(d) That men are from Mars and women are from Venus.
3. What spices are on this list?
(a) Unique and hard to find spices.
(b) Poisonous spices.
(c) Many of the more common spices.
(d) Unusual spices.
4. What does the spiritual guru at the conference Allende attends challenge the attendees to do?
(a) Get to know someone else at the conference in one minute.
(b) Eat no less than twenty grapes in one minute.
(c) Try a new aphrodisiac.
(d) Eat a grape in no less than twenty minutes.
5. What includes drinking the animal's blood first with some strong, sweet liquor?
(a) The preparation of venison stew.
(b) The preparation of turtle soup.
(c) Asian cooking traditions.
(d) Native American rituals.
6. What is the purpose of an aphrodisiac?
(a) To incite passion.
(b) To populate the world.
(c) To promote love.
(d) To make people kind to one another.
7. What ocean creature does not belong in the same category as fish?
8. There is nothing better than what reading to fire up sexual desire?
(a) The priests' confessional list of questions.
(b) Romance novels.
(c) Pornographic magazines.
(d) The kama sutra.
9. Why can a family friend not eat chicken for ten years?
(a) He found out that many chickens have horrible lives before they are killed.
(b) He became a Buddhist for ten years.
(c) He does not like the taste of chicken.
(d) He killed a chicken so unsuccessfully that he was traumatized.
10. What is the cause for the modern day obsession with variety?
(a) Loss of creativity, due to the rigid education systems.
(b) Busy schedules.
(c) People having lost the gift of savoring simple things in life.
11. Who does Catherine the Great marry?
(a) An old scholar.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) An ugly, gluttonous man.
(d) A handsome prince.
12. What does Allende say alligator tastes like?
(b) Reconstituted codfish.
13. With what does this chapter deal?
(a) The few things not eaten by humans.
(b) The more interesting things eaten by humans.
(c) The stranger things eaten by humans.
(d) The more exotic things eaten by humans.
14. What do Japanese male prostitutes do in order to have a variety of sexual positions from which to choose?
(a) They take erotic classes.
(b) They have a DVD to remind them.
(c) They have a list to give to clients from which to choose.
(d) They memorize large portions of erotic manuals.
15. How long have there been kept men in various cultures?
(a) Since the Middle Ages.
(b) Only a few centuries.
(c) Before the birth of Christianity.
(d) As far back as recorded history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nin say makes sex truly fulfilling?
2. Who are the gigolo's best clients?
3. What was initially used to preserve food in hot countries?
4. What triggers a woman's sexual impulses?
5. What happens after the woman in the story is stolen by pirates?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)