|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Adele living when Ann sees her again?
2. What is the religious affiliation of the young man in #152?
3. In Chapter 14, Adele is waiting to marry ____________________.
4. Who does Carol marry?
5. What were the orders of the man in #155 during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship of the Pikes Peak rock in Benny's room to Carol's breast cancer?
2. What is the symbolism of the ants crawling on the carrot cake?
3. How does Adele try to sabotage Ann's relationship with Daniel Swan?
4. What is the episode of the red shoes regarding Adele and Ann?
5. What is Paul's mission during the war; why does he not complete the mission; and, what are his and Carol's plans for the future?
6. What has Adele really done with the money that Ann sent her?
7. How does Adele still try to manipulate Ann by spending the money inappropriately?
8. What is the symbolism of the sparkly red shoes and Ann's hair being cut by a hooligan?
9. How does Carol show depth of character in her life that Adele could not possibly understand?
10. How does the episode of the red shoes exhibit Adele's not being fit to parent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Lillian. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Lillian?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Ann's life. Will Adele still be such a powerful presence in her life? Or will she gravitate toward Carol for emotional support? Explain.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)