|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ann get a new job?
2. Where does Ann visit during her vacations from college?
3. Who is Adele's best friend in Chapter 10?
4. What does Ann do with the item in #132?
5. What does Carol tell her family about Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the ants crawling on the carrot cake?
2. What has Adele really done with the money that Ann sent her?
3. Why does Adele's relationship with Dr. Hawthorne signify her transition into a delusional state?
4. How does Adele try to sabotage Ann's relationship with Daniel Swan?
5. What is the symbolism of the sparkly red shoes and Ann's hair being cut by a hooligan?
6. How does Paul die and what decision does Carol make regarding her life going forward?
7. How does Carol and Jimmy's son, Benny, die?
8. When is Carol emotionally ready to sue the Brozeks over Benny's death?
9. When does Carol realize that Adele is using her and the family?
10. What was life like for Carol growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Ann's life. Will Adele still be such a powerful presence in her life? Or will she gravitate toward Carol for emotional support? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)