|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann do when her mother refuses to buy her the item in #92?
2. To what state do Carol and Jimmy retire?
3. Where does Paul die?
4. Who was Ben's girlfriend?
5. What does Adele want to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the episode of the red shoes regarding Adele and Ann?
2. When is Carol emotionally ready to sue the Brozeks over Benny's death?
3. What is the relationship of the Pikes Peak rock in Benny's room to Carol's breast cancer?
4. What is Paul's mission during the war; why does he not complete the mission; and, what are his and Carol's plans for the future?
5. Describe the graciousness of Carol and Jimmy toward Jay Brozek after Benny's death.
6. What is the symbolism of the sparkly red shoes and Ann's hair being cut by a hooligan?
7. How does Carol's perspective of her relationship with Adele underscore Adele's dysfunctional behavior?
8. What does Ann begin to realize about her mother and how she compares herself to her family?
9. How does Carol and Jimmy's son, Benny, die?
10. Describe how Carol's life is much more dramatic in reality than Adele's theatrics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Carol and Adele. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Carol learn about the reality of Adele's life as opposed to the perceptions Adele has hoped to perpetuate?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Loss is an important theme in ANYWHERE BUT HERE. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)