|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what state do Carol and Jimmy retire?
2. What did Adele really do with the money Ann sent her?
3. What does Carol do for four hours every day after Benny dies?
4. What is covered with ants in Adele's kitchen?
5. The young man in #152 is a member of ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ann do to allow her mother to live in a little cottage?
2. Describe the graciousness of Carol and Jimmy toward Jay Brozek after Benny's death.
3. How does Paul die and what decision does Carol make regarding her life going forward?
4. What is the relationship of the Pikes Peak rock in Benny's room to Carol's breast cancer?
5. How does the episode of the red shoes exhibit Adele's not being fit to parent?
6. What is Paul's mission during the war; why does he not complete the mission; and, what are his and Carol's plans for the future?
7. How does Ann's sexual relationship with Peter mirror her inappropriate behavior with young children?
8. Who is Paul Morgenstern and what role does he play in Carol's life?
9. How does Adele try to sabotage Ann's relationship with Daniel Swan?
10. When is Carol emotionally ready to sue the Brozeks over Benny's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Simpson is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Adele. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Adele?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)