|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann do when her mother refuses to buy her the item in #92?
2. What does Adele do with the item in #132?
3. What type of surgery does Jimmy have?
4. Neither of Carol's parents told Carol about ____________________.
5. With whom does Carol fall in love while in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adele still try to manipulate Ann by spending the money inappropriately?
2. What is the episode of the red shoes regarding Adele and Ann?
3. Describe the graciousness of Carol and Jimmy toward Jay Brozek after Benny's death.
4. What is Paul's mission during the war; why does he not complete the mission; and, what are his and Carol's plans for the future?
5. Describe how Carol's life is much more dramatic in reality than Adele's theatrics.
6. What is the symbolism of the ants crawling on the carrot cake?
7. What does Ann begin to realize about her mother and how she compares herself to her family?
8. What was life like for Carol growing up?
9. How does the episode of the red shoes exhibit Adele's not being fit to parent?
10. How does Adele try to sabotage Ann's relationship with Daniel Swan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss is an important theme in ANYWHERE BUT HERE. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Lillian. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Lillian?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)