|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adele has spent the royalty check money on a lavish car and __________________.
2. Who interrupts Ann and the boy in #141?
3. Which of the following did Jimmy NOT do to their retirement home?
4. Who is Adele's best friend in Chapter 10?
5. With which boy does Ann begin a sexual relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adele still try to manipulate Ann by spending the money inappropriately?
2. What is the symbolism of the sparkly red shoes and Ann's hair being cut by a hooligan?
3. Describe how Carol's life is much more dramatic in reality than Adele's theatrics.
4. How does Carol show depth of character in her life that Adele could not possibly understand?
5. What has Adele really done with the money that Ann sent her?
6. When is Carol emotionally ready to sue the Brozeks over Benny's death?
7. What is the symbolism of the ants crawling on the carrot cake?
8. Who is Paul Morgenstern and what role does he play in Carol's life?
9. What is the relationship of the Pikes Peak rock in Benny's room to Carol's breast cancer?
10. How does Adele try to sabotage Ann's relationship with Daniel Swan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in ANYWHERE BUT HERE. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most American families living during the 1990s?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Ann. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Ann?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Lillian. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Lillian?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)