|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hotel chain do Ann and her mother stay at on their trip?
2. Where do Ann and her mother live at the beginning of the story?
3. What did Ann's grandmother do when she visited her aunts?
4. How did Carol and Jimmy hear about Hal's arrest for dealing drugs?
5. What type of vehicle did Adele purchase for the trip to California?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lillian feel about her husband's job and how is that feeling transmitted to her daughters?
2. Describe Ann's relationship with her mother.
3. How do Lillian and Art start out their married life?
4. How does Adele's mental health come into question regarding how she manages Christmas for Ann and the rest of her family?
5. Explain how Adele has delusions of grandeur, particularly regarding Lonnie Tishman.
6. How does the author show that Adele is self-centered and selfish?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ann's discomfort over sharing a bed with her mother?
8. What does Adele reveal about herself when she refuses to stay at the job in Watts?
9. What does Hisham's disappointing life symbolize and how does Ann feel about him?
10. How did Lillian's mother show inappropriate behavior toward Lillian's brother, Milton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in ANYWHERE BUT HERE. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most American families living during the 1990s?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)