|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ann and Daniel do for school projects?
2. What age was Ann's grandmother's brother when he was molested?
3. Daniel's family lives in ______________________.
4. Who is Ann's father?
5. What hotel chain do Ann and her mother stay at on their trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adele reveal about herself when she refuses to stay at the job in Watts?
2. Who is Art and how does Lillian's relationship with him negatively impact her life?
3. What is the premise of ANYWHERE BUT HERE?
4. Describe the unfortunate events in Hal's life including his drug use.
5. How does Lillian feel about her husband's job and how is that feeling transmitted to her daughters?
6. How did Lillian's mother show inappropriate behavior toward Lillian's brother, Milton?
7. What does California symbolize to Adele?
8. Describe Adele's disappointing life with her first husband, Hisham.
9. Explain how Carol and Adele are dissatisfied with their lives and the men in their worlds.
10. What does Hisham's disappointing life symbolize and how does Ann feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mental cruelty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of psychological abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Ann's life because of her mother? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Lillian. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Lillian?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)