|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lillian name her new baby?
2. What color dress did Lillian get married in?
3. What is Ann's last name?
4. Where does Ann's father invite her and Adele to go?
5. Who is Carol's older son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Adele jealous of Ann's burgeoning sexuality?
2. How does Adele pay for the trip to California?
3. How did Lillian's mother show inappropriate behavior toward Lillian's brother, Milton?
4. How do Hal's problems help Carol to become closer to her own mother?
5. What does Adele reveal about herself when she refuses to stay at the job in Watts?
6. How is Hal a disappointment to Carol and Jimmy?
7. What do Adele and Ann do upon their arrival in Los Angeles?
8. What is significant about the last time that Adele abandons Ann by the side of the road?
9. What does California symbolize to Adele?
10. How do Lillian and Art start out their married life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Carol and Adele. Both women want influence over Lillian but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Carol and Adele. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Carol learn about the reality of Adele's life as opposed to the perceptions Adele has hoped to perpetuate?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)