Part One: Ann
• As the novel opens, twelve-year-old Ann August is traveling from Bay City, Wisconsin, to Los Angeles, California, with her mother, Adele.
• Adele hopes that Ann will become a child star, so they pack up everything they own in a white Lincoln Continental and head out, leaving Adele's husband, Ted, behind.
• Adele makes a detour in Scottsdale, Arizona, where she pretends to be a wealthy woman, to have a realtor show her a mansion on the pretense of buying.
• Adele sparks an argument with Ann, and in a scene that is repeated all the way across the country, Adele simply stops the car, opens the door and forces Ann to get out.
• Adele then drives away, leaving Ann crying until she returns.
• In Nevada, Adele again forces Ann out of the car, but this time Ann walks to a gas station to phone her grandmother just...
This section contains 2,435 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)