|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Canidius say he will follow now that the battle of Actium is over?
(b) No one.
2. What does Cleopatra imagine Antony calls her at the end of the first act?
(a) "A blot on my conscience."
(b) "My gem of Egypt."
(c) "The deadly basilisk."
(d) "My serpent of 'old Nile'."
3. In Act 3, Scene 5, who delivers news to Enobarbus?
4. What does Antony say was tied to Cleopatra's rudder "by the strings"?
(a) His ship.
(b) His soul.
(d) His heart.
5. Antony says he will make who (or what) love him the next time he fights in Act 3, Scene 13?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the status of the man Antony sends as an ambassador to Caesar after Actium?
2. To where does Antony decide he must go in the beginning of the play?
3. What is the name of the man who accompanies Caesar in Act 3, Scene 8?
4. What is the name of the lieutenant of Caesar, who leads his land army?
5. What does Cleopatra insist Charmian give her to drink at the last scene of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it suggested by Agrippa that Mark Antony be married to Octavia?
2. For what reason does Mecaenas imply that striking Antony while the beleaguered triumvir is in his rage is strategically sound
3. For what reasons are tensions brewing between Antony and Caesar in Act 3, Scene 4?
4. For what reason does Antony spurn the news that has come from Rome at the play's beginning?
5. How does Menas propose to make Pompey the ruler of the world?
6. For what reason does the Soothsayer tell Antony he must go back to Egypt?
7. What is the meaning and significance of "a Lethe'd dulness" as Pompey uses the phrase in line 27 of Act 2, Scene 1?
8. What characterizes the reports that the messenger gives to Cleopatra of Octavia?
9. What characterizes the responses by Antony's subordinates to his announcement that he will fight Caesar by sea at Actium?
10. What is the result of Antony's fleeing from Actium?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)