|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, to what does Antigone say that Polynices is entitled?
2. What does the Chorus remind Creon about Antigone in Part 6?
3. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
4. What is the reasoning that Creon gives for treating Polynices like he is?
5. After Antigone asks Creon to kill her in a certain way, what does Creon say he wants to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Up until the end, Antigone appears unsure of Haemon's true feelings for her. She wavers between thinking he desires Ismene to believing he loves her and her alone. Recalling passages from the play, what do you think Haemon's character represents? Do you think he represents true love? Perhaps he represents stability or honor or faithfulness. Explain what you think Haemon represents and why.
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does the Chorus serve? Is it a genuine character or more of a narrator? Do you think that his role is necessary or extraneous? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The lack of specific setting allows the reader to imagine Antigone's personal struggle occurring in any place and time. Why do you think the author employed this method? Do you think he had other motives for not developing a setting? What might they be? Does the absence of setting enhance or detract from your enjoyment of the story? Why?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)