|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, what does Creon do in response to the guards telling him what Antigone has done?
2. What instrument was used to throw earth on Polynices's body in Part 4?
3. In Part 5, why does Antigone ask Creon to kill her in a certain way?
4. In the beginning of Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she thinks he is above the law. What reasoning does he give for her impudence?
5. In Part 5, when Creon explains his reasoning behind his actions, of what does Antigone accuse him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is usually a vital part of plot development and is a commonly used literary device. True to form, symbolism is an important part of "Antigone." Describe what the following items represent and why:
A. The shovel Antigone uses to bury Polynices body.
B. Antigone's dog.
C. Antigone's letter.
Essay Topic 2
The Chorus is another element common to Greek tragedies, often representing the feelings of the spectators of the tragedy. When there is sorrow and the character appears stoic, the Chorus wails its anguish. Anger, confusion, practically any extreme emotion is carried out by the Chorus while the characters seem resigned to whatever event might be occurring. Recall a situation where the Chorus is employed in "Antigone." What is the Chorus's role in this situation? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Antigone appears to be a righteous character, giving up love and life to do what is right. Her entire life seems to revolve around other people. Even thought Polynices is her brother too, Ismene seems more interested in fun and living life for herself. Compare/contrast Antigone and Ismene in appearance, personality, and driving forces.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)