|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, what does Creon say will happen to Jonas if he keeps quiet?
2. What is distinctive about the item Antigone uses to bury Polynices?
3. In Part 5, what does Creon do to Antigone after their discussion about how to kill her?
4. In Part 6, what does the Chorus try to convince Creon to do?
5. How do the guards and Jonas bring Antigone in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After hearing of Haemon's death, Creon's wife commits suicide in dramatic fashion--by slitting her own throat. However, despite the drama in her manner of death, her death itself is an anticlimax. Why? Does her death add anything to the story at all? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is usually a vital part of plot development and is a commonly used literary device. True to form, symbolism is an important part of "Antigone." Describe what the following items represent and why:
A. The shovel Antigone uses to bury Polynices body.
B. Antigone's dog.
C. Antigone's letter.
Essay Topic 3
Creon's choice of execution method appears cruel and extreme. What purpose would such an execution serve? What message do you think Creon was trying to send by walling her up in a cave? Why do you think Creon would choose this instead of possibly more humane methods of execution? What message do you think he was trying to send to Haemon by sentencing his fiancee to such a death?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)