|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antigone respond to the first thing that Creon asks her in Part 5?
2. When Haemon approaches his father in Part 6, what does Creon do?
3. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
4. What does Creon say he will do if Antigone does what he tells her to do in Part 5?
5. When Creon asks where Antigone is going in Part 5, what does she say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greek tragedies also tend to use foreshadowing for dramatic effect. Choose an instance of foreshadowing from the play and describe it and the event it foreshadows. Go into detail about both the event and the instance of foreshadowing, explaining what you think ties them together and why.
Essay Topic 2
The climax is the penultimate moment of emotion in a story. Identify the climax of "Antigone" and discuss why you believe that is the climax. Do you think any other moment in the play qualifies? If so, what is it and why do you believe so? If not, explain what about this particular passage makes it the only climax of the story,
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the Chorus revealed the characters' eventual fates at the very beginning of the play? Do you think it took away from the storyline? Why or why not? Was there a specific purpose, such as freeing the reader (or viewer if the play was acted out) from having to figure out what might happen in the end so he/she may focus on the lessons of the play? Why or why not?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)