|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, what reason does Creon give for making the ruling he did?
2. In Part 5, why does Antigone ask Creon to kill her in a certain way?
3. In Part 4, what does Creon intend to do to the guards after the discovery that Polynices's body has been disturbed?
4. What does Antigone do in response to Creon's promise in Part 5?
5. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After hearing of Haemon's death, Creon's wife commits suicide in dramatic fashion--by slitting her own throat. However, despite the drama in her manner of death, her death itself is an anticlimax. Why? Does her death add anything to the story at all? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the Chorus revealed the characters' eventual fates at the very beginning of the play? Do you think it took away from the storyline? Why or why not? Was there a specific purpose, such as freeing the reader (or viewer if the play was acted out) from having to figure out what might happen in the end so he/she may focus on the lessons of the play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jonas seems to play a dual role. He is both accuser and confessor. He is torn between his terror of and loyalty to Creon and his sympathy for Antigone. What actions show his loyalty toward Creon? What actions show his sympathy for Antigone? What makes him ultimately choose to side with Creon? Why?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)