|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
2. In Part 6, what does Antigone ask Jonas to do for her?
3. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
4. In Part 4, what does Creon intend to do to the guards after the discovery that Polynices's body has been disturbed?
5. In Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she should go home and do what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Nurse represents Antigone's conscience. When Antigone sneaks back in after being out all night, the Nurse reminds Antigone of all she's done to raise her right. When Antigone jokes that she's been out with a secret lover, the Nurse tells Antigone that her mother would not be proud of her actions. Are there any other instances of the Nurse acting as Antigone's conscience? Why do you think the author chose to include this moment of childish teasing in an otherwise dark play? Why does the Nurse react so emotionally? What purpose does this scene serve in the overall plot of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does the Chorus serve? Is it a genuine character or more of a narrator? Do you think that his role is necessary or extraneous? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is usually a vital part of plot development and is a commonly used literary device. True to form, symbolism is an important part of "Antigone." Describe what the following items represent and why:
A. The shovel Antigone uses to bury Polynices body.
B. Antigone's dog.
C. Antigone's letter.
This section contains 1,619 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)