|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antigone asks how she will be executed. What is the answer?
2. In Part 5, what does Creon say about Polynices and Eteocles?
3. What does Creon say he is going to do in Part 4 in response to Polynices's body being covered?
4. What does Creon say he will do if Antigone does what he tells her to do in Part 5?
5. What was Jonas doing when he discovered Antigone covering Polynices's body?
Essay Topic 1
The author chose to employ irony in the relationship between Haemon and Antigone. Antigone repeatedly expresses doubts that Haemon truly loves her, despite his insistence that he does. The ironic part of their relationship is in their deaths. Haemon gives his life for Antigone, in a manner, declaring his love for her by dying for her. However, Antigone is already dead and cannot gain any peace from his sacrifice. What purpose, if any, does his futile death serve for the reader? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Creon's choice of execution method appears cruel and extreme. What purpose would such an execution serve? What message do you think Creon was trying to send by walling her up in a cave? Why do you think Creon would choose this instead of possibly more humane methods of execution? What message do you think he was trying to send to Haemon by sentencing his fiancee to such a death?
Essay Topic 3
The climax is the penultimate moment of emotion in a story. Identify the climax of "Antigone" and discuss why you believe that is the climax. Do you think any other moment in the play qualifies? If so, what is it and why do you believe so? If not, explain what about this particular passage makes it the only climax of the story,
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)