Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antigone asks how she will be executed. What is the answer?
2. In Part 5, what does Creon say about Polynices and Eteocles?
3. What does Creon say he is going to do in Part 4 in response to Polynices's body being covered?
4. What does Creon say he will do if Antigone does what he tells her to do in Part 5?
5. What was Jonas doing when he discovered Antigone covering Polynices's body?
Essay Topic 1
Creon's role in the play represents destiny or fate. He alone holds Antigone's future in his hands, though one might argue that Antigone is a factor in her own destiny. However, Antigone seems to have surrendered herself to whatever may come. Describe situations in the play where Creon's power over Antigone's life or death is played out. What is Creon's rationale for sending Antigone to her death? Why does he feel he has no other option, even though Antigone is engaged to his son? What purpose will her death serve in what he considers his ultimate destiny?
Essay Topic 2
After hearing of Haemon's death, Creon's wife commits suicide in dramatic fashion--by slitting her own throat. However, despite the drama in her manner of death, her death itself is an anticlimax. Why? Does her death add anything to the story at all? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does the Chorus serve? Is it a genuine character or more of a narrator? Do you think that his role is necessary or extraneous? Why?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)