|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antigone asks how she will be executed. What is the answer?
2. In Part 5, what does Creon say about Polynices and Eteocles?
3. What does Creon say he is going to do in Part 4 in response to Polynices's body being covered?
4. What does Creon say he will do if Antigone does what he tells her to do in Part 5?
5. What was Jonas doing when he discovered Antigone covering Polynices's body?
Essay Topic 1
The climax is the penultimate moment of emotion in a story. Identify the climax of "Antigone" and discuss why you believe that is the climax. Do you think any other moment in the play qualifies? If so, what is it and why do you believe so? If not, explain what about this particular passage makes it the only climax of the story,
Essay Topic 2
Antigone appears to be a righteous character, giving up love and life to do what is right. Her entire life seems to revolve around other people. Even thought Polynices is her brother too, Ismene seems more interested in fun and living life for herself. Compare/contrast Antigone and Ismene in appearance, personality, and driving forces.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Creon's rise to King of Thebes. What was his previous governmental role? Why do you think he was chosen as ruler? Since his bloodline isn't the same as Oedipus's, what must he do to prove that he is worthy of the throne? Did his diverse treatment of Eteocles's and Polynices's bodies have anything to do with feeling that he must prove his strength and worthiness? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)