|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Creon's occupation?
2. What did Antigone fling at Ismene when they were children?
3. What did Antigone do to try to find out if Haemon really wanted her in Part 3?
4. Polynices is Ismene's ______________.
5. What does Ismene try to do when Antigone wants to discuss her plan in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Many of Antigone's actions can be defined as either selfish or unselfish. Some may blur the lines. In Part 3, do you think Antigone's treatment of Haemon is selfish or unselfish, or can an argument be made for a bit of both?
2. What is the purpose of Antigone's letter to Haemon in Part 6?
3. What remains for Creon to do after the deaths of his wife, his son and his niece?
4. What does Creon do that gives him a more human quality than he has previously shown?
5. Elaborate on the purpose of the play's vague setting.
6. How is Antigone to be put to death, and how does she feel about it?
7. In Part 7, what is the symbolism of the guards coming in and sitting down to play cards?
8. Discuss Creon and Antigone's divergent thoughts on the importance of the rite of burial in Part 5.
9. After learning that everyone is dead, Creon leaves to make a council meeting. What is ironic about this?
10. Antigone, the princess, has been reduced to the level of a beggar, filthy and ragged. In Part 4, the guards discuss Antigone and her value to Creon with Antigone well within earshot. Describe the guards' discussion and Antigone's.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Creon is stunned when he learns that Antigone is his betrayer. He simply cannot comprehend that his son's fiancee would defy him so flagrantly. Even more disconcerting to him, Antigone admits her guilt and, when offered a way out, simply states that a cover-up would do no good since she would just defy his order again. Up to this point, Creon has appeared impersonal and stoic. Does his obvious discomfort at Antigone's confession make him appear more or less human? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Antigone appears to be a righteous character, giving up love and life to do what is right. Her entire life seems to revolve around other people. Even thought Polynices is her brother too, Ismene seems more interested in fun and living life for herself. Compare/contrast Antigone and Ismene in appearance, personality, and driving forces.
Essay Topic 3
Creon's choice of execution method appears cruel and extreme. What purpose would such an execution serve? What message do you think Creon was trying to send by walling her up in a cave? Why do you think Creon would choose this instead of possibly more humane methods of execution? What message do you think he was trying to send to Haemon by sentencing his fiancee to such a death?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)