|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, what is one of the things Antigone says her family told her not to do?
2. What is Antigone carrying in the beginning of Part 2?
3. In Part 3, under what conditions does Ismene think Antigone will perform the task Ismene fears she will?
4. Polynices is Ismene's ______________.
5. What does the person who confronts Antigone do when expressing her frustration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might Creon's failed attempts to cover up Antigone's betrayal represent to the author?
2. What does Creon represent in Part 4?
3. Discuss Creon and Antigone's divergent thoughts on the importance of the rite of burial in Part 5.
4. What is the function of the Guardsmen? Consider their dialogue, their interaction with the "major" players, the Chorus' comments on them, and so on.
5. Why do you think the author chose to introduce Antigone and her sister, Ismene, as such contrasting characters? What purpose might this serve to the storyline?
6. The tragedy of lost lives for the sake of a political statement is one that permeates even into modern times. What message do you think Anouilh was trying to convey through his play, "Antigone"?
7. How does Creon react to Haemon's plea for Antigone's life in Part 6?
8. Antigone's unfinished letter is a symbol of what?
9. Why does the author expose the character's fates in the beginning?
10. Explain the convoluted path to the throne from Oedipus to Creon. Detail the characters and the way they became king.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antigone appears to be a righteous character, giving up love and life to do what is right. Her entire life seems to revolve around other people. Even thought Polynices is her brother too, Ismene seems more interested in fun and living life for herself. Compare/contrast Antigone and Ismene in appearance, personality, and driving forces.
Essay Topic 2
Jonas seems to play a dual role. He is both accuser and confessor. He is torn between his terror of and loyalty to Creon and his sympathy for Antigone. What actions show his loyalty toward Creon? What actions show his sympathy for Antigone? What makes him ultimately choose to side with Creon? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The climax is the penultimate moment of emotion in a story. Identify the climax of "Antigone" and discuss why you believe that is the climax. Do you think any other moment in the play qualifies? If so, what is it and why do you believe so? If not, explain what about this particular passage makes it the only climax of the story,
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)