|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ismene tells Antigone that she should __________ Polynices like Polynices ____________ them.
(a) Watch; watched.
(b) Love; loved.
(c) Forget; forgot.
(d) Bond with; bonded with.
2. In Part 3, for what does Antigone apologize to Haemon?
(a) Leaving before lunch.
(b) Their quarrel the previous night.
(c) Breaking his watch.
(d) Calling him a weakling.
3. How does Antigone enter in the beginning of Part 2?
(a) She creeps in.
(b) She bangs the door open and runs in.
(c) She slips in through the window.
(d) She strides in angrily.
4. Who confronts Antigone in the beginning of Part 2?
5. What does Ismene try to do when Antigone wants to discuss her plan in Part 2?
(a) Tell Antigone that she will help.
(b) Talk Antigone into getting someone else to do it.
(c) Talk Antigone out of it.
(d) Convince Antigone that running away will solve nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prologue explain after the characters are introduced in Part 1?
2. What does the person who confronts Antigone do when expressing her frustration?
3. What does Antigone ask Haemon after her apology in Part 3?
4. Antigone says the Nurse is stronger than what in Part 2?
5. What is Creon's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antigone ask the Nurse to do with her dog? Why is Antigone asking this of the Nurse?
2. What is the moment of crisis as described in "Antigone"?
3. What role does Ismene play in Part 5?
4. Discuss Creon and Antigone's divergent thoughts on the importance of the rite of burial in Part 5.
5. What is the function of the Guardsmen? Consider their dialogue, their interaction with the "major" players, the Chorus' comments on them, and so on.
6. What might Creon's failed attempts to cover up Antigone's betrayal represent to the author?
7. Tragedy is often seen as a spectacle, something to gawk at and comment upon. In Part 4, how does tragedy as a spectacle become pertinent to the storyline?
8. What is represented by Antigone and Haemon's burial?
9. What methods does Creon use to try to convince Antigone that she is on the wrong path in Part 5?
10. What is the purpose of Antigone's letter to Haemon in Part 6?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)