|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who confronts Antigone in the beginning of Part 2?
2. What is Antigone's response to Ismene's reply when Antigone tells Ismene about her plan?
(a) She disagrees and begins to pack.
(b) She agrees and offers Ismene another option.
(c) She leaves the room angrily.
(d) She refuses, saying that it is the way things are meant to be.
3. In Part 2, who does Ismene say dies for ideas?
(b) The brave.
(c) The foolhardy.
(d) The cowards.
4. What does Ismene ask Antigone after Antigone says that she has considered all of the possible consequences of her proposed actions in Part 2?
(a) If Antigone really thinks her plan will work.
(b) If Antigone wants to go to breakfast.
(c) If Antigone doesn't want to live.
(d) If Antigone will leave Ismene her treasured brooch.
5. In Part 3, Ismene urges Antigone not to what?
(a) Go to the castle without assistance.
(b) Delay the inevitable.
(c) Attempt what's beyond her strength.
(d) All answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the youth alone on the other side of the stage?
2. In Part 2, what does Antigone tell Ismene that she should not forgo?
3. How is Haemon described in Part 1?
4. In Part 2, Antigone tells the Nurse that she is too _____________ for what she must do.
5. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outline the descriptions of the following characters: Antigone, Ismene, Creon, Haemon.
2. How does Antigone react to what the Nurse says about Antigone's mother in Part 2?
3. How does Creon react to Haemon's plea for Antigone's life in Part 6?
4. What does Creon do that gives him a more human quality than he has previously shown?
5. Discuss Creon and Antigone's divergent thoughts on the importance of the rite of burial in Part 5.
6. What is represented by Antigone and Haemon's burial?
7. How do Ismene and Antigone each react to Creon's edict?
8. What do you think is the symbolism of the child's shovel left beside Polynices's body in Part 4?
9. The relationship between Antigone and Haemon is complicated. Despite his vows of love, Antigone cannot bring herself to believe that Haemon would choose her over Ismene. In Part 3, what does Antigone do to test Haemon?
10. Do you think Antigone is to blame for what happens to her?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)