|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Antigone's nickname for the Nurse?
(a) She doesn't have one.
(b) Her "second mother."
(c) Her "sweet red apple."
(d) Her "dearest, darling Nurse."
2. What is the punishment for not following the king's orders about Polynices's body?
(b) Hard labor.
(d) A heavy fine and incarceration.
3. In Part 3, what did Antigone borrow from Ismene?
(a) Ismene's dress.
(b) Ismene's makeup and perfume.
(c) Ismene's jewelry.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
4. What is Antigone wishing in Part 1?
(a) That her beloved was rich.
(b) That her mother would let her go out by herself.
(c) That the rain would stop.
(d) That she didn't have to die soon.
5. How is Haemon described in Part 1?
(a) Fun loving and sport loving.
(b) Adventurous and fickle.
(c) Boorish and uncommonly ugly.
(d) Dour and sapid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antigone tell Nurse to do if her dog keeps waiting by the door?
2. In Part 3, why did Antigone say that she was telling Haemon all the things she was telling him?
3. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
4. What did Antigone fling at Ismene when they were children?
5. In Part 3, when Haemon is about to respond to all of Antigone's comments, what does she force him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once again, Antigone has a chance to escape death in Part 5, yet she seems to fight for the right to die rather than fight for the right to live. How does Antigone once again put herself directly in harm's way?
2. What does Antigone ask the Nurse to do with her dog? Why is Antigone asking this of the Nurse?
3. When the Chorus tells Creon that Haemon has been "mortally wounded" by Creon's indifference, Creon's response is that they all have. What does he mean by this statement?
4. How does Creon react to Haemon's plea for Antigone's life in Part 6?
5. After learning that everyone is dead, Creon leaves to make a council meeting. What is ironic about this?
6. Why do you think that Antigone lies to Creon when he asks if anyone else knows what she is doing in Part 5?
7. Do you think Antigone's single-minded efforts to bury her brother are more about her attempts to get attention or gaining respect for her brother?
8. What role does Ismene play in Part 5?
9. How does Antigone react to what the Nurse says about Antigone's mother in Part 2?
10. Why does the author expose the character's fates in the beginning?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)