|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the guards assigned to do in Part 4?
(a) Keep interlopers out of the courtyard.
(b) Keep asassins out of the castle.
(c) Watch over Polynices's body.
(d) Watch over the king's family.
2. What is Haemon's response to his father's statement after their embrace in Part 6?
(a) He agrees with Creon.
(b) He runs from the palace.
(c) He stands silently and stoically.
(d) He tries to talk Creon into changing his mind.
3. In Part 5, Creon explodes into a long speech and tells Antigone that she is just like who?
(a) Her brothers.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her father.
4. In Part 4, who is Jonas?
(a) One of Creon's sons.
(b) One of Creon's advisors.
(c) An significant member of the Chorus.
(d) One of the guards.
5. What instrument was used to throw earth on Polynices's body in Part 4?
(a) A large stick.
(b) A piece of a broken green bowl.
(c) A rotted piece of wood.
(d) A small child's shovel.
6. Why can't Antigone finish what she is doing with Jonas at the end of Part 6?
(a) Jonas stops her.
(b) The guards come to take her away.
(c) She breaks down sobbing.
(d) She becomes confused.
7. How does Antigone try to convince the guards to let her go?
(a) By using her rank as princess.
(b) By saying that the guards misunderstood her actions.
(c) By begging.
(d) By screaming and crying.
8. What was Jonas doing when he discovered Antigone covering Polynices's body?
(b) Talking to the other guards.
(c) Getting tobacco.
9. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(a) Sad and disingenuous.
(c) Mind numbing yet joyous.
(d) Restful because there is no hope.
10. When Creon tells Antigone to leave, why does Creon stop her in Part 5?
(a) He thinks that she is going to commit suicide.
(b) He can see that she is not going to her room.
(c) He wants to extract a written promise from her.
(d) He wants to tell her that she needs to leave Haemon.
11. In Part 6, Haemon begs Creon to have the courage to be what?
(a) A strong, faithful man.
(b) The best king that Thebes could have.
(c) A fair king.
(d) The loving father he knew as a child.
12. In Part 6, the Chorus tells Creon that Haemon has been what?
(a) Mortally wounded.
(b) Betrayed by his father.
(c) Turned into an enemy.
(d) Cut to the bone by his cruelty.
13. In Part 5, how does Creon respond to Antigone's accusation after he explains the reason behind his actions?
(a) He admits that it is the truth.
(b) He asks her for forgiveness.
(c) He orders the guards to take her away.
(d) He throws Antigone to the ground.
14. What does Creon tell Antigone to do upon her response to his first question in Part 5?
(a) Think carefully before she answers his next question.
(b) Pretend she was ill.
(c) Take some time to think.
(d) Sit down.
15. In Part 4, what does Creon do in response to the guards telling him what Antigone has done?
(a) He bribes the guards to keep their mouths shut.
(b) He sends the guards away.
(c) He gapes in disbelief.
(d) He grabs her arm angrily.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, to what does Antigone say that Polynices is entitled?
2. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
3. While the guards are discussing Antigone's capture, what does she ask of them?
4. What do the guards wonder after they apprehend Antigone?
5. Why is Jonas reluctant to do what Antigone asks of him?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)