|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(b) Restful because there is no hope.
(c) Mind numbing yet joyous.
(d) Sad and disingenuous.
2. What does the Chorus say the only thing left to do at the end of a tragedy is?
(a) Shout loudly about what death represents.
(b) Cry and wail in sorrow.
(c) Divide and conquer.
(d) Defend the righteous characters.
3. What instrument was used to throw earth on Polynices's body in Part 4?
(a) A rotted piece of wood.
(b) A small child's shovel.
(c) A piece of a broken green bowl.
(d) A large stick.
4. What does the Chorus remind Creon about Antigone in Part 6?
(a) Her sister needs her since the rest of the family is dead.
(b) She is loyal to her family.
(c) She has a point.
(d) She is just a child.
5. What are the guards assigned to do in Part 4?
(a) Keep interlopers out of the courtyard.
(b) Keep asassins out of the castle.
(c) Watch over the king's family.
(d) Watch over Polynices's body.
6. In Part 4, how deeply was Polynices's body buried?
(a) Just his feet and legs were buried.
(b) Just enough to keep the vultures away.
(c) Six feet deep.
(d) A dusting of earth was placed over him.
7. What does Jonas say in response to Creon's accusations in Part 4?
(a) He blames everything on the other guards.
(b) He tells Creon that he is not guilty of deserting his post.
(c) He reminds Creon of his good record.
(d) He cowers in terror, saying nothing.
8. In Part 5, what does Creon say about Polynices and Eteocles?
(a) They were not leaders fit for the crown.
(b) They were heroes, but Creon must find a way to make a point.
(c) They were good brothers to her.
(d) They killed their father to inherit the throne.
9. In Part 5, to what does Antigone say that Polynices is entitled?
(c) Equal treatment.
(d) A proper burial.
10. In Part 5, what does Creon do to Antigone after their discussion about how to kill her?
(a) Twists her arm and threatens to torture her.
(b) Takes her hand and tells her that he must do what he must do.
(c) Grabs her by her hair and threatens to turn her over to the guards for their version of punishment..
(d) Kisses her on the cheek.
11. In Part 5, why does Antigone ask Creon to kill her in a certain way?
(a) Because she doesn't want to be tortured.
(b) Because she can't be brave forever.
(c) Because she doesn't want to make a scene.
(d) Because she wants Thebes to know how their king treats honorable people.
12. After Haemon's conversation with Creon is over, what does Haemon do?
(a) Spits in his father's face and curses him.
(b) Tells his father that he will never see him again.
(c) Grabs his father's arm and begs one last time.
(d) Runs out screaming for Antigone.
13. In Part 4, what does Creon intend to do to the guards after the discovery that Polynices's body has been disturbed?
(a) Change their assignment.
(b) Fire them.
(c) Have them executed on the spot.
(d) Punish them.
14. When Antigone is brought in by the guards, what does she call herself in Part 4?
(a) A dictator.
(b) A seeker of truth.
(c) A seeker of justice.
(d) A daughter of Oedipus.
15. What is Jonas asking Antigone when the guards burst in?
(a) To which saint to pray.
(b) Why her sister wasn't there.
(c) Why she is making such a sacrifice.
(d) To whom to deliver the letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antigone try to convince the guards to let her go?
2. In Part 6, what does Creon say about his quarrel with Antigone over Polynices's body?
3. What does Creon say will happen if Antigone succeeds in burying Polynices?
4. In Part 6, Antigone begs Creon to do something about the problem in the palace so she can do what?
5. What is Haemon's response to his father's statement after their embrace in Part 6?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)