|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon tell the Chorus about Antigone in Part 6?
(a) She is an unrepentant fool.
(b) She is only fulfilling her ultimate destiny.
(c) She was born to die this way.
(d) She is a threat to his authority.
2. What does Creon tell Antigone to do upon her response to his first question in Part 5?
(a) Pretend she was ill.
(b) Sit down.
(c) Take some time to think.
(d) Think carefully before she answers his next question.
3. What does Creon say he will do if Antigone does what he tells her to do in Part 5?
(a) Execute her.
(b) Bring her something to eat.
(c) Keep the truth from Haemon.
(d) Ensure the guards' silence.
4. In Part 6, with whom is Antigone left alone?
(a) The Nurse.
5. In Part 5, what does Creon say about the ritual of burial?
(a) That it is meaningless.
(b) That it deters grave robbers.
(c) That its various components are beyond comprehension.
(d) That it is something that all heroes deserve.
6. In the beginning of Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she thinks he is above the law. What reasoning does he give for her impudence?
(a) She is Oedipus's daughter and his son's fiancee.
(b) She is not thinking.
(c) She is stubborn.
(d) She is becoming proud.
7. In Part 4, what does Creon say will happen to Jonas if he keeps quiet?
(a) He will keep his job.
(b) He will live.
(c) He will be reassigned, but his fellow guards will be executed.
(d) He will be forgiven.
8. What is Haemon's response to his father's statement after their embrace in Part 6?
(a) He stands silently and stoically.
(b) He runs from the palace.
(c) He agrees with Creon.
(d) He tries to talk Creon into changing his mind.
9. Antigone tells Creon that she knew all along Creon would do what in Part 5?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Cause her and Haemon to break up.
(c) Be a father figure toward her.
(d) Make her angry.
10. In Part 6, Creon tells Haemon that sooner or later, every man must accept what?
(a) That his future is cut in stone.
(b) That his childhood is over.
(c) That fate holds the key, and there is nothing he can do to change it.
(d) That the woman he loves may be deceptive.
11. What is Jonas asking Antigone when the guards burst in?
(a) To which saint to pray.
(b) Why she is making such a sacrifice.
(c) To whom to deliver the letter.
(d) Why her sister wasn't there.
12. In Part 4, what does Creon intend to do to the guards after the discovery that Polynices's body has been disturbed?
(a) Fire them.
(b) Have them executed on the spot.
(c) Punish them.
(d) Change their assignment.
13. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
(a) Tells Haemon to stand up straight and face the world head on.
(b) He breaks down and weeps.
(c) He walks away.
(d) Tells Haemon that he has no choice and must accept his fate.
14. What does Antigone do in response to Creon's promise in Part 5?
(a) She tells him that it doesn't matter because she will just do it again.
(b) She begins to cry.
(c) She tells him that she is not hungry.
(d) She turns her back on him.
15. What does the Chorus say the only thing left to do at the end of a tragedy is?
(a) Shout loudly about what death represents.
(b) Cry and wail in sorrow.
(c) Divide and conquer.
(d) Defend the righteous characters.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, how does Creon respond to Antigone's accusation after he explains the reason behind his actions?
2. In Part 6, the Chorus tells Creon that Haemon has been what?
3. What are the guards assigned to do in Part 4?
4. What is the reasoning that Creon gives for treating Polynices like he is?
5. In Part 5, what does Creon do to Antigone after their discussion about how to kill her?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)