|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(a) Decidedly dolorous.
(b) Dirty and avoidable.
(c) Preening and dispicable.
(d) Clean and inevitable.
2. In Part 4, what does Creon intend to do to the guards after the discovery that Polynices's body has been disturbed?
(a) Have them executed on the spot.
(b) Change their assignment.
(c) Fire them.
(d) Punish them.
3. What do the guards wonder after they apprehend Antigone?
(a) If there will be a reward.
(b) If they will now escape punishment.
(c) What will happen to their wives.
(d) Why Antigone did what she did.
4. In Part 5, Creon explodes into a long speech and tells Antigone that she is just like who?
(a) Her brothers.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her mother.
5. In Part 5, how does Antigone ask Creon to kill her?
6. In Part 5, why does Antigone ask Creon to kill her in a certain way?
(a) Because she wants Thebes to know how their king treats honorable people.
(b) Because she doesn't want to be tortured.
(c) Because she doesn't want to make a scene.
(d) Because she can't be brave forever.
7. What does Jonas do when Creon tells him what he is going to do to the guards for their lack of awareness in Part 4?
(a) Pleads for his life, saying he has a family.
(b) Remarks on the cruelty of the king.
(c) Stands stoically and agrees.
(d) Runs away.
8. In Part 4, what does the heat of the sun do?
(a) Forces the guards to seek shelter.
(b) Makes the guards sweat and complain.
(c) Makes Jonas dizzy.
(d) Cause the body to smell and make Jonas dizzy.
9. In Part 5, how does Creon respond to Antigone's accusation after he explains the reason behind his actions?
(a) He throws Antigone to the ground.
(b) He asks her for forgiveness.
(c) He admits that it is the truth.
(d) He orders the guards to take her away.
10. How does Antigone respond to the first thing that Creon asks her in Part 5?
(a) She says that she has.
(b) She lies.
(c) She spits in Creon's face.
(d) She refuses to answer.
11. After Antigone asks Creon to kill her in a certain way, what does Creon say he wants to do?
(a) Make an example of her.
(b) Send her to the afterlife be with her father, mother and brothers.
(c) Save her.
(d) Keep her away from Haemon.
12. In Part 4, who is Jonas?
(a) One of the guards.
(b) One of Creon's sons.
(c) One of Creon's advisors.
(d) An significant member of the Chorus.
13. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
(a) Tells Haemon that he has no choice and must accept his fate.
(b) Tells Haemon to stand up straight and face the world head on.
(c) He walks away.
(d) He breaks down and weeps.
14. In Part 6, Haemon begs Creon to have the courage to be what?
(a) A strong, faithful man.
(b) The loving father he knew as a child.
(c) A fair king.
(d) The best king that Thebes could have.
15. What does Jonas chat with Antigone about in Part 6?
(a) His family.
(b) All the answers are true.
(c) Life in the barracks.
(d) Rivalries between the officers and guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Antigone's execution to take place?
2. What does Jonas say in response to Creon's accusations in Part 4?
3. When Haemon approaches his father in Part 6, what does Creon do?
4. Antigone tells Creon that she knew all along Creon would do what in Part 5?
5. Antigone asks how she will be executed. What is the answer?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)