|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Chorus say the only thing left to do at the end of a tragedy is?
(a) Shout loudly about what death represents.
(b) Cry and wail in sorrow.
(c) Divide and conquer.
(d) Defend the righteous characters.
2. In Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she should go home and do what?
(a) Get ready to mother Haemon's children.
(b) Pack and leave.
(c) Tell the Nurse that she will never do it again.
(d) Pretend that she never had a brother.
3. In Part 6, what does Creon say about his quarrel with Antigone over Polynices's body?
(a) It simply proved that Antigone was impudent.
(b) It eventually convinced him to release the body.
(c) It was just an excuse.
(d) It was a way for him to learn Antigone's true nature.
4. What does Creon tell Antigone to do upon her response to his first question in Part 5?
(a) Take some time to think.
(b) Think carefully before she answers his next question.
(c) Sit down.
(d) Pretend she was ill.
5. What do the guards wonder after they apprehend Antigone?
(a) Why Antigone did what she did.
(b) What will happen to their wives.
(c) If there will be a reward.
(d) If they will now escape punishment.
6. When Creon tells Antigone to leave, why does Creon stop her in Part 5?
(a) He thinks that she is going to commit suicide.
(b) He wants to extract a written promise from her.
(c) He can see that she is not going to her room.
(d) He wants to tell her that she needs to leave Haemon.
7. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(a) Sad and disingenuous.
(b) Mind numbing yet joyous.
(d) Restful because there is no hope.
8. After Antigone asks Creon to kill her in a certain way, what does Creon say he wants to do?
(a) Keep her away from Haemon.
(b) Save her.
(c) Send her to the afterlife be with her father, mother and brothers.
(d) Make an example of her.
9. In Part 5, Creon explodes into a long speech and tells Antigone that she is just like who?
(a) Her brothers.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her mother.
10. Why is Jonas reluctant to do what Antigone asks of him?
(a) He is faithful to Creon.
(b) He will get in trouble.
(c) He will be executed.
(d) He is in love with Antigone.
11. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
(a) He walks away.
(b) Tells Haemon that he has no choice and must accept his fate.
(c) He breaks down and weeps.
(d) Tells Haemon to stand up straight and face the world head on.
12. How does Antigone try to convince the guards to let her go?
(a) By using her rank as princess.
(b) By screaming and crying.
(c) By begging.
(d) By saying that the guards misunderstood her actions.
13. In Part 5, why does Antigone ask Creon to kill her in a certain way?
(a) Because she wants Thebes to know how their king treats honorable people.
(b) Because she doesn't want to make a scene.
(c) Because she doesn't want to be tortured.
(d) Because she can't be brave forever.
14. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(a) Clean and inevitable.
(b) Decidedly dolorous.
(c) Dirty and avoidable.
(d) Preening and dispicable.
15. What does Creon say he will do if Antigone does what he tells her to do in Part 5?
(a) Keep the truth from Haemon.
(b) Execute her.
(c) Ensure the guards' silence.
(d) Bring her something to eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part 6, Antigone confesses that she is what?
2. What is distinctive about the item Antigone uses to bury Polynices?
3. In Part 4, how deeply was Polynices's body buried?
4. In the beginning of Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she thinks he is above the law. What reasoning does he give for her impudence?
5. In Part 4, what does Creon do in response to the guards telling him what Antigone has done?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)