|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, what does Creon do in response to the guards telling him what Antigone has done?
(a) He sends the guards away.
(b) He bribes the guards to keep their mouths shut.
(c) He grabs her arm angrily.
(d) He gapes in disbelief.
2. In Part 5, to what does Antigone say that Polynices is entitled?
(b) Equal treatment.
(c) A proper burial.
3. In Part 5, what reason does Creon give for making the ruling he did?
(a) His predecessors must tell the gods that he is strong.
(b) His authority had to be respected.
(c) Those standing in line for the crown are only waiting for his moment of weakness.
(d) He hated Polynices.
4. In Part 6, what does Antigone ask Jonas to do for her?
(a) Deliver a letter.
(b) Say a prayer for her.
(c) Remove her shackles.
(d) Keep her sister away.
5. In Part 4, what does the heat of the sun do?
(a) Cause the body to smell and make Jonas dizzy.
(b) Makes the guards sweat and complain.
(c) Makes Jonas dizzy.
(d) Forces the guards to seek shelter.
6. In Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she should go home and do what?
(a) Pack and leave.
(b) Tell the Nurse that she will never do it again.
(c) Get ready to mother Haemon's children.
(d) Pretend that she never had a brother.
7. Antigone asks how she will be executed. What is the answer?
(c) Buried alive.
(d) Drawn and quartered.
8. Antigone asks Jonas to do something for her in Part 6. She tells Jonas that she would like this done when?
(a) After Ismene gets to the palace.
(c) When they take her to be executed.
(d) After she is dead.
9. In Part 6, with whom is Antigone left alone?
(b) The Nurse.
10. In Part 6, Creon tells Haemon that sooner or later, every man must accept what?
(a) That fate holds the key, and there is nothing he can do to change it.
(b) That his childhood is over.
(c) That his future is cut in stone.
(d) That the woman he loves may be deceptive.
11. What do the guards wonder after they apprehend Antigone?
(a) If they will now escape punishment.
(b) What will happen to their wives.
(c) Why Antigone did what she did.
(d) If there will be a reward.
12. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(b) Mind numbing yet joyous.
(c) Sad and disingenuous.
(d) Restful because there is no hope.
13. What does the Chorus say the only thing left to do at the end of a tragedy is?
(a) Shout loudly about what death represents.
(b) Divide and conquer.
(c) Cry and wail in sorrow.
(d) Defend the righteous characters.
14. What are the guards assigned to do in Part 4?
(a) Keep asassins out of the castle.
(b) Watch over the king's family.
(c) Watch over Polynices's body.
(d) Keep interlopers out of the courtyard.
15. In Part 6, what does Creon say about his quarrel with Antigone over Polynices's body?
(a) It was a way for him to learn Antigone's true nature.
(b) It was just an excuse.
(c) It simply proved that Antigone was impudent.
(d) It eventually convinced him to release the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonas chat with Antigone about in Part 6?
2. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
3. In Part 6, what has happened to the palace?
4. In Part 5, why does Antigone ask Creon to kill her in a certain way?
5. In Part 4, what does Creon say will happen to Jonas if he keeps quiet?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)