|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is distinctive about the item Antigone uses to bury Polynices?
(a) It was part of a bottle Polynices carried with him.
(b) It was part of the box Eteocles was buried in.
(c) He used to play with it as a child.
(d) It was under Polynices's body.
2. In Part 5, what reason does Creon give for making the ruling he did?
(a) He hated Polynices.
(b) Those standing in line for the crown are only waiting for his moment of weakness.
(c) His predecessors must tell the gods that he is strong.
(d) His authority had to be respected.
3. What does Antigone say when Creon confronts her about covering Polynices?
(a) She stays silent.
(b) She vehemently denies the accusation.
(c) She admits doing so.
(d) She blames it on the guards.
4. In Part 5, Creon explodes into a long speech and tells Antigone that she is just like who?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her brothers.
(d) Her mother.
5. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
(a) Tells Haemon that he has no choice and must accept his fate.
(b) Tells Haemon to stand up straight and face the world head on.
(c) He walks away.
(d) He breaks down and weeps.
6. In Part 5, what does Creon say about the ritual of burial?
(a) That it is meaningless.
(b) That it deters grave robbers.
(c) That it is something that all heroes deserve.
(d) That its various components are beyond comprehension.
7. What does the Chorus say the only thing left to do at the end of a tragedy is?
(a) Defend the righteous characters.
(b) Divide and conquer.
(c) Cry and wail in sorrow.
(d) Shout loudly about what death represents.
8. In Part 6, Creon tells Haemon that sooner or later, every man must accept what?
(a) That his future is cut in stone.
(b) That the woman he loves may be deceptive.
(c) That fate holds the key, and there is nothing he can do to change it.
(d) That his childhood is over.
9. What is Haemon's response to his father's statement after their embrace in Part 6?
(a) He runs from the palace.
(b) He stands silently and stoically.
(c) He agrees with Creon.
(d) He tries to talk Creon into changing his mind.
10. In Part 6, what does Creon say about his quarrel with Antigone over Polynices's body?
(a) It eventually convinced him to release the body.
(b) It was a way for him to learn Antigone's true nature.
(c) It simply proved that Antigone was impudent.
(d) It was just an excuse.
11. In Part 4, what does the heat of the sun do?
(a) Makes the guards sweat and complain.
(b) Makes Jonas dizzy.
(c) Cause the body to smell and make Jonas dizzy.
(d) Forces the guards to seek shelter.
12. In Part 6, what does the Chorus try to convince Creon to do?
(a) Put Antigone to death immediately
(b) Abdicate the crown.
(c) Let Antigone live.
(d) Let Antigone off with a warning.
13. What does Jonas say in response to Creon's accusations in Part 4?
(a) He tells Creon that he is not guilty of deserting his post.
(b) He cowers in terror, saying nothing.
(c) He reminds Creon of his good record.
(d) He blames everything on the other guards.
14. How does Antigone try to convince the guards to let her go?
(a) By screaming and crying.
(b) By begging.
(c) By using her rank as princess.
(d) By saying that the guards misunderstood her actions.
15. How does Antigone leave at the very end of Part 6?
(b) Crying and shaking.
(d) Fighting and screaming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jonas doing when he discovered Antigone covering Polynices's body?
2. What instrument was used to throw earth on Polynices's body in Part 4?
3. When Haemon approaches his father in Part 6, what does Creon do?
4. What is the reasoning that Creon gives for treating Polynices like he is?
5. After Antigone asks Creon to kill her in a certain way, what does Creon say he wants to do?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)