|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, what does Creon say will happen to Jonas if he keeps quiet?
(a) He will live.
(b) He will keep his job.
(c) He will be forgiven.
(d) He will be reassigned, but his fellow guards will be executed.
2. How does Antigone try to convince the guards to let her go?
(a) By screaming and crying.
(b) By begging.
(c) By saying that the guards misunderstood her actions.
(d) By using her rank as princess.
3. In Part 4, how deeply was Polynices's body buried?
(a) A dusting of earth was placed over him.
(b) Six feet deep.
(c) Just his feet and legs were buried.
(d) Just enough to keep the vultures away.
4. In Part 5, what does Creon say about the ritual of burial?
(a) That it is something that all heroes deserve.
(b) That its various components are beyond comprehension.
(c) That it deters grave robbers.
(d) That it is meaningless.
5. In Part 6, what does Creon say about his quarrel with Antigone over Polynices's body?
(a) It was a way for him to learn Antigone's true nature.
(b) It was just an excuse.
(c) It simply proved that Antigone was impudent.
(d) It eventually convinced him to release the body.
6. What does the Chorus say the only thing left to do at the end of a tragedy is?
(a) Defend the righteous characters.
(b) Cry and wail in sorrow.
(c) Divide and conquer.
(d) Shout loudly about what death represents.
7. Antigone tells Creon that she knew all along Creon would do what in Part 5?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Be a father figure toward her.
(c) Make her angry.
(d) Cause her and Haemon to break up.
8. In Part 4, what does the heat of the sun do?
(a) Makes the guards sweat and complain.
(b) Cause the body to smell and make Jonas dizzy.
(c) Makes Jonas dizzy.
(d) Forces the guards to seek shelter.
9. When Antigone is brought in by the guards, what does she call herself in Part 4?
(a) A daughter of Oedipus.
(b) A dictator.
(c) A seeker of justice.
(d) A seeker of truth.
10. After Antigone asks Creon to kill her in a certain way, what does Creon say he wants to do?
(a) Keep her away from Haemon.
(b) Save her.
(c) Send her to the afterlife be with her father, mother and brothers.
(d) Make an example of her.
11. In Part 5, why does Antigone ask Creon to kill her in a certain way?
(a) Because she doesn't want to make a scene.
(b) Because she wants Thebes to know how their king treats honorable people.
(c) Because she can't be brave forever.
(d) Because she doesn't want to be tortured.
12. In Part 5, what does Creon say about Polynices and Eteocles?
(a) They killed their father to inherit the throne.
(b) They were good brothers to her.
(c) They were heroes, but Creon must find a way to make a point.
(d) They were not leaders fit for the crown.
13. When Creon tells Antigone to leave, why does Creon stop her in Part 5?
(a) He wants to tell her that she needs to leave Haemon.
(b) He wants to extract a written promise from her.
(c) He can see that she is not going to her room.
(d) He thinks that she is going to commit suicide.
14. While the guards are discussing Antigone's capture, what does she ask of them?
(a) If she can sit down.
(b) If she will suffer.
(c) If they will let her go.
(d) If she can speak with Ismene.
15. What is the reasoning that Creon gives for treating Polynices like he is?
(a) Polynices tried to keep him from being king.
(b) He's just an ordinary king doing his job.
(c) He thinks that Polynices is a murderer.
(d) Polynices tried to assassinate him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, to what does Antigone say that Polynices is entitled?
2. What does Jonas chat with Antigone about in Part 6?
3. At the end of Part 6, Antigone confesses that she is what?
4. In Part 5, what does Creon do to Antigone after their discussion about how to kill her?
5. What does Creon tell the Chorus about Antigone in Part 6?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)