|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the guards wonder after they apprehend Antigone?
(a) What will happen to their wives.
(b) If they will now escape punishment.
(c) If there will be a reward.
(d) Why Antigone did what she did.
2. What is Jonas asking Antigone when the guards burst in?
(a) To whom to deliver the letter.
(b) To which saint to pray.
(c) Why her sister wasn't there.
(d) Why she is making such a sacrifice.
3. In Part 6, Creon tells Haemon that sooner or later, every man must accept what?
(a) That his future is cut in stone.
(b) That the woman he loves may be deceptive.
(c) That fate holds the key, and there is nothing he can do to change it.
(d) That his childhood is over.
4. Where is Antigone's execution to take place?
(a) In the town common.
(b) At the gallows.
(c) In an empty cave.
(d) In the palace courtyard.
5. In Part 6, Haemon begs Creon to have the courage to be what?
(a) A strong, faithful man.
(b) A fair king.
(c) The loving father he knew as a child.
(d) The best king that Thebes could have.
6. How does Antigone leave at the very end of Part 6?
(c) Fighting and screaming.
(d) Crying and shaking.
7. In Part 6, the Chorus tells Creon that Haemon has been what?
(a) Betrayed by his father.
(b) Turned into an enemy.
(c) Mortally wounded.
(d) Cut to the bone by his cruelty.
8. In Part 4, what does the heat of the sun do?
(a) Cause the body to smell and make Jonas dizzy.
(b) Makes Jonas dizzy.
(c) Makes the guards sweat and complain.
(d) Forces the guards to seek shelter.
9. In Part 6, what does Creon say about his quarrel with Antigone over Polynices's body?
(a) It simply proved that Antigone was impudent.
(b) It was a way for him to learn Antigone's true nature.
(c) It eventually convinced him to release the body.
(d) It was just an excuse.
10. In the beginning of Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she thinks he is above the law. What reasoning does he give for her impudence?
(a) She is stubborn.
(b) She is becoming proud.
(c) She is Oedipus's daughter and his son's fiancee.
(d) She is not thinking.
11. In Part 4, who is Jonas?
(a) One of Creon's advisors.
(b) One of the guards.
(c) One of Creon's sons.
(d) An significant member of the Chorus.
12. In Part 6, what has happened to the palace?
(a) It has been siezed by a neighboring king.
(b) A mob of citizens has broken in.
(c) It has been redecorated in Creon's style.
(d) An earthquake has torn down the main tower.
13. What are the guards assigned to do in Part 4?
(a) Watch over Polynices's body.
(b) Keep asassins out of the castle.
(c) Watch over the king's family.
(d) Keep interlopers out of the courtyard.
14. While the guards are discussing Antigone's capture, what does she ask of them?
(a) If she can sit down.
(b) If she will suffer.
(c) If she can speak with Ismene.
(d) If they will let her go.
15. What does the Chorus remind Creon about Antigone in Part 6?
(a) Her sister needs her since the rest of the family is dead.
(b) She is just a child.
(c) She has a point.
(d) She is loyal to her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon say will happen if Antigone succeeds in burying Polynices?
2. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
3. In Part 4, what does Creon say will happen to Jonas if he keeps quiet?
4. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
5. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)