|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 6, what does Antigone ask Jonas to do for her?
(a) Deliver a letter.
(b) Say a prayer for her.
(c) Keep her sister away.
(d) Remove her shackles.
2. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(a) Sad and disingenuous.
(c) Restful because there is no hope.
(d) Mind numbing yet joyous.
3. In Part 5, what does Creon do to Antigone after their discussion about how to kill her?
(a) Grabs her by her hair and threatens to turn her over to the guards for their version of punishment..
(b) Kisses her on the cheek.
(c) Takes her hand and tells her that he must do what he must do.
(d) Twists her arm and threatens to torture her.
4. What does Creon tell Antigone to do upon her response to his first question in Part 5?
(a) Sit down.
(b) Pretend she was ill.
(c) Think carefully before she answers his next question.
(d) Take some time to think.
5. In Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she should go home and do what?
(a) Tell the Nurse that she will never do it again.
(b) Get ready to mother Haemon's children.
(c) Pretend that she never had a brother.
(d) Pack and leave.
6. Antigone asks how she will be executed. What is the answer?
(b) Buried alive.
(d) Drawn and quartered.
7. What does Jonas say in response to Creon's accusations in Part 4?
(a) He cowers in terror, saying nothing.
(b) He reminds Creon of his good record.
(c) He tells Creon that he is not guilty of deserting his post.
(d) He blames everything on the other guards.
8. What was Jonas doing when he discovered Antigone covering Polynices's body?
(a) Talking to the other guards.
(c) Getting tobacco.
9. What is distinctive about the item Antigone uses to bury Polynices?
(a) It was part of a bottle Polynices carried with him.
(b) It was part of the box Eteocles was buried in.
(c) It was under Polynices's body.
(d) He used to play with it as a child.
10. In the beginning of Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she thinks he is above the law. What reasoning does he give for her impudence?
(a) She is stubborn.
(b) She is Oedipus's daughter and his son's fiancee.
(c) She is not thinking.
(d) She is becoming proud.
11. Antigone tells Creon that she knew all along Creon would do what in Part 5?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Make her angry.
(c) Cause her and Haemon to break up.
(d) Be a father figure toward her.
12. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(a) Decidedly dolorous.
(b) Dirty and avoidable.
(c) Preening and dispicable.
(d) Clean and inevitable.
13. In Part 5, how does Creon respond to Antigone's accusation after he explains the reason behind his actions?
(a) He throws Antigone to the ground.
(b) He admits that it is the truth.
(c) He orders the guards to take her away.
(d) He asks her for forgiveness.
14. Where is Antigone's execution to take place?
(a) At the gallows.
(b) In the town common.
(c) In the palace courtyard.
(d) In an empty cave.
15. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
(a) Tells Haemon that he has no choice and must accept his fate.
(b) He walks away.
(c) He breaks down and weeps.
(d) Tells Haemon to stand up straight and face the world head on.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, what reason does Creon give for making the ruling he did?
2. In Part 5, why does Antigone ask Creon to kill her in a certain way?
3. What does Creon tell the Chorus about Antigone in Part 6?
4. In Part 6, what does the Chorus try to convince Creon to do?
5. When Creon asks where Antigone is going in Part 5, what does she say?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)