|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reasoning that Creon gives for treating Polynices like he is?
(a) Polynices tried to assassinate him.
(b) He's just an ordinary king doing his job.
(c) Polynices tried to keep him from being king.
(d) He thinks that Polynices is a murderer.
2. In Part 6, the Chorus tells Creon that Haemon has been what?
(a) Turned into an enemy.
(b) Cut to the bone by his cruelty.
(c) Betrayed by his father.
(d) Mortally wounded.
3. Why can't Antigone finish what she is doing with Jonas at the end of Part 6?
(a) She breaks down sobbing.
(b) Jonas stops her.
(c) She becomes confused.
(d) The guards come to take her away.
4. Antigone asks how she will be executed. What is the answer?
(b) Buried alive.
(c) Drawn and quartered.
5. What does Antigone do in response to Creon's promise in Part 5?
(a) She tells him that she is not hungry.
(b) She begins to cry.
(c) She turns her back on him.
(d) She tells him that it doesn't matter because she will just do it again.
6. In Part 4, what does Creon intend to do to the guards after the discovery that Polynices's body has been disturbed?
(a) Have them executed on the spot.
(b) Change their assignment.
(c) Punish them.
(d) Fire them.
7. What is distinctive about the item Antigone uses to bury Polynices?
(a) It was part of the box Eteocles was buried in.
(b) It was under Polynices's body.
(c) He used to play with it as a child.
(d) It was part of a bottle Polynices carried with him.
8. What does Jonas chat with Antigone about in Part 6?
(a) Life in the barracks.
(b) All the answers are true.
(c) His family.
(d) Rivalries between the officers and guards.
9. In Part 6, with whom is Antigone left alone?
(c) The Nurse.
10. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
(a) Tells Haemon that he has no choice and must accept his fate.
(b) Tells Haemon to stand up straight and face the world head on.
(c) He breaks down and weeps.
(d) He walks away.
11. What does the Chorus remind Creon about Antigone in Part 6?
(a) She is just a child.
(b) Her sister needs her since the rest of the family is dead.
(c) She is loyal to her family.
(d) She has a point.
12. What does Antigone say when Creon confronts her about covering Polynices?
(a) She admits doing so.
(b) She blames it on the guards.
(c) She vehemently denies the accusation.
(d) She stays silent.
13. While the guards are discussing Antigone's capture, what does she ask of them?
(a) If she will suffer.
(b) If she can sit down.
(c) If she can speak with Ismene.
(d) If they will let her go.
14. What instrument was used to throw earth on Polynices's body in Part 4?
(a) A small child's shovel.
(b) A rotted piece of wood.
(c) A piece of a broken green bowl.
(d) A large stick.
15. What does the Chorus say the only thing left to do at the end of a tragedy is?
(a) Defend the righteous characters.
(b) Cry and wail in sorrow.
(c) Divide and conquer.
(d) Shout loudly about what death represents.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, when Creon explains his reasoning behind his actions, of what does Antigone accuse him?
2. In Part 5, why does Antigone ask Creon to kill her in a certain way?
3. In Part 5, how does Antigone ask Creon to kill her?
4. What does Creon tell Antigone to do upon her response to his first question in Part 5?
5. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)