|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Antigone's execution to take place?
(a) At the gallows.
(b) In the town common.
(c) In an empty cave.
(d) In the palace courtyard.
2. Why can't Antigone finish what she is doing with Jonas at the end of Part 6?
(a) The guards come to take her away.
(b) She becomes confused.
(c) She breaks down sobbing.
(d) Jonas stops her.
3. What is Jonas asking Antigone when the guards burst in?
(a) Why her sister wasn't there.
(b) To which saint to pray.
(c) Why she is making such a sacrifice.
(d) To whom to deliver the letter.
4. In Part 6, what has happened to the palace?
(a) It has been redecorated in Creon's style.
(b) It has been siezed by a neighboring king.
(c) An earthquake has torn down the main tower.
(d) A mob of citizens has broken in.
5. What is distinctive about the item Antigone uses to bury Polynices?
(a) It was part of a bottle Polynices carried with him.
(b) It was under Polynices's body.
(c) It was part of the box Eteocles was buried in.
(d) He used to play with it as a child.
6. In Part 4, what does Creon do in response to the guards telling him what Antigone has done?
(a) He gapes in disbelief.
(b) He bribes the guards to keep their mouths shut.
(c) He sends the guards away.
(d) He grabs her arm angrily.
7. In Part 4, what does Creon say will happen to Jonas if he keeps quiet?
(a) He will be forgiven.
(b) He will keep his job.
(c) He will be reassigned, but his fellow guards will be executed.
(d) He will live.
8. In Part 5, Creon explodes into a long speech and tells Antigone that she is just like who?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her brothers.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her father.
9. In Part 5, what does Creon do to Antigone after their discussion about how to kill her?
(a) Kisses her on the cheek.
(b) Grabs her by her hair and threatens to turn her over to the guards for their version of punishment..
(c) Twists her arm and threatens to torture her.
(d) Takes her hand and tells her that he must do what he must do.
10. How do the guards and Jonas bring Antigone in?
(a) They shove her.
(b) They carry her.
(c) They drag her.
(d) They walk her.
11. In Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she should go home and do what?
(a) Pretend that she never had a brother.
(b) Get ready to mother Haemon's children.
(c) Pack and leave.
(d) Tell the Nurse that she will never do it again.
12. What is Haemon's response to his father's statement after their embrace in Part 6?
(a) He stands silently and stoically.
(b) He agrees with Creon.
(c) He runs from the palace.
(d) He tries to talk Creon into changing his mind.
13. In Part 5, to what does Antigone say that Polynices is entitled?
(a) Equal treatment.
(d) A proper burial.
14. In Part 6, the Chorus tells Creon that Haemon has been what?
(a) Betrayed by his father.
(b) Turned into an enemy.
(c) Mortally wounded.
(d) Cut to the bone by his cruelty.
15. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
(a) He walks away.
(b) Tells Haemon to stand up straight and face the world head on.
(c) He breaks down and weeps.
(d) Tells Haemon that he has no choice and must accept his fate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reasoning that Creon gives for treating Polynices like he is?
2. Why is Jonas reluctant to do what Antigone asks of him?
3. In Part 6, Antigone begs Creon to do something about the problem in the palace so she can do what?
4. What does Antigone say when Creon confronts her about covering Polynices?
5. How does Antigone respond to the first thing that Creon asks her in Part 5?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)