|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, what does Creon intend to do to the guards after the discovery that Polynices's body has been disturbed?
(a) Fire them.
(b) Change their assignment.
(c) Punish them.
(d) Have them executed on the spot.
2. In Part 6, what does Antigone ask Jonas to do for her?
(a) Keep her sister away.
(b) Deliver a letter.
(c) Say a prayer for her.
(d) Remove her shackles.
3. What do the guards wonder after they apprehend Antigone?
(a) If there will be a reward.
(b) What will happen to their wives.
(c) If they will now escape punishment.
(d) Why Antigone did what she did.
4. In the beginning of Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she thinks he is above the law. What reasoning does he give for her impudence?
(a) She is stubborn.
(b) She is becoming proud.
(c) She is Oedipus's daughter and his son's fiancee.
(d) She is not thinking.
5. In Part 5, how does Antigone ask Creon to kill her?
6. What is Haemon's response to his father's statement after their embrace in Part 6?
(a) He runs from the palace.
(b) He agrees with Creon.
(c) He stands silently and stoically.
(d) He tries to talk Creon into changing his mind.
7. In Part 6, the Chorus tells Creon that Haemon has been what?
(a) Mortally wounded.
(b) Turned into an enemy.
(c) Betrayed by his father.
(d) Cut to the bone by his cruelty.
8. What does Antigone do in response to Creon's promise in Part 5?
(a) She tells him that it doesn't matter because she will just do it again.
(b) She tells him that she is not hungry.
(c) She begins to cry.
(d) She turns her back on him.
9. What is the reasoning that Creon gives for treating Polynices like he is?
(a) He's just an ordinary king doing his job.
(b) Polynices tried to keep him from being king.
(c) He thinks that Polynices is a murderer.
(d) Polynices tried to assassinate him.
10. In Part 5, when Creon explains his reasoning behind his actions, of what does Antigone accuse him?
(a) Being a dictator.
(b) Being a puppet to the people of Thebes.
(c) Being afraid to do his duty.
(d) Being heartless.
11. At the end of Part 6, Antigone confesses that she is what?
(a) Wishing her mother was with her.
(b) Happy to make a sacrifice.
(c) Afraid of dying.
(d) Sad for Haemon.
12. Why can't Antigone finish what she is doing with Jonas at the end of Part 6?
(a) Jonas stops her.
(b) She breaks down sobbing.
(c) The guards come to take her away.
(d) She becomes confused.
13. What are the guards assigned to do in Part 4?
(a) Watch over Polynices's body.
(b) Keep asassins out of the castle.
(c) Watch over the king's family.
(d) Keep interlopers out of the courtyard.
14. Antigone tells Creon that she knew all along Creon would do what in Part 5?
(a) Cause her and Haemon to break up.
(b) Make her angry.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Be a father figure toward her.
15. In Part 4, what does the heat of the sun do?
(a) Cause the body to smell and make Jonas dizzy.
(b) Makes the guards sweat and complain.
(c) Makes Jonas dizzy.
(d) Forces the guards to seek shelter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument was used to throw earth on Polynices's body in Part 4?
2. When Antigone is brought in by the guards, what does she call herself in Part 4?
3. What does Creon say will happen if Antigone succeeds in burying Polynices?
4. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
5. What does Antigone say when Creon confronts her about covering Polynices?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)