|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(a) There is no comic relief to be found.
(b) The characters must surrender to the will of fate.
(c) The characters must all die at the end.
(d) Broken relationships will inevitably follow.
2. In the beginning of Part 5, Creon tells Antigone that she thinks he is above the law. What reasoning does he give for her impudence?
(a) She is Oedipus's daughter and his son's fiancee.
(b) She is becoming proud.
(c) She is not thinking.
(d) She is stubborn.
3. In Part 6, what does Antigone ask Jonas to do for her?
(a) Remove her shackles.
(b) Keep her sister away.
(c) Deliver a letter.
(d) Say a prayer for her.
4. In Part 6, what does the Chorus try to convince Creon to do?
(a) Let Antigone live.
(b) Put Antigone to death immediately
(c) Abdicate the crown.
(d) Let Antigone off with a warning.
5. In Part 4, what does Creon do in response to the guards telling him what Antigone has done?
(a) He grabs her arm angrily.
(b) He gapes in disbelief.
(c) He sends the guards away.
(d) He bribes the guards to keep their mouths shut.
6. In Part 6, Haemon begs Creon to have the courage to be what?
(a) The loving father he knew as a child.
(b) A fair king.
(c) A strong, faithful man.
(d) The best king that Thebes could have.
7. What is Haemon's response to his father's statement after their embrace in Part 6?
(a) He agrees with Creon.
(b) He tries to talk Creon into changing his mind.
(c) He stands silently and stoically.
(d) He runs from the palace.
8. Antigone asks Jonas to do something for her in Part 6. She tells Jonas that she would like this done when?
(a) After Ismene gets to the palace.
(b) When they take her to be executed.
(c) After she is dead.
9. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(a) Mind numbing yet joyous.
(c) Sad and disingenuous.
(d) Restful because there is no hope.
10. What does Creon say he is going to do in Part 4 in response to Polynices's body being covered?
(a) Double the guard detail.
(b) Leave the body out in the open while the guards hide to see who the perpetrator is.
(c) Have the guards shoot to kill.
(d) Change nothing.
11. What does Antigone say when Creon confronts her about covering Polynices?
(a) She blames it on the guards.
(b) She stays silent.
(c) She admits doing so.
(d) She vehemently denies the accusation.
12. Antigone tells Creon that she knew all along Creon would do what in Part 5?
(a) Make her angry.
(b) Be a father figure toward her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Cause her and Haemon to break up.
13. After Haemon's conversation with Creon is over, what does Haemon do?
(a) Runs out screaming for Antigone.
(b) Spits in his father's face and curses him.
(c) Grabs his father's arm and begs one last time.
(d) Tells his father that he will never see him again.
14. What instrument was used to throw earth on Polynices's body in Part 4?
(a) A large stick.
(b) A piece of a broken green bowl.
(c) A rotted piece of wood.
(d) A small child's shovel.
15. How does Antigone respond to the first thing that Creon asks her in Part 5?
(a) She spits in Creon's face.
(b) She says that she has.
(c) She refuses to answer.
(d) She lies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is distinctive about the item Antigone uses to bury Polynices?
2. In Part 5, why does Antigone ask Creon to kill her in a certain way?
3. When Antigone is brought in by the guards, what does she call herself in Part 4?
4. What does the Chorus remind Creon about Antigone in Part 6?
5. What are the guards assigned to do in Part 4?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)