|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(a) It is tenuous and unrelenting.
(b) It is uncomfortable.
(c) It is depressing and convoluted.
(d) It is simple and straightforward.
2. What instrument was used to throw earth on Polynices's body in Part 4?
(a) A small child's shovel.
(b) A large stick.
(c) A rotted piece of wood.
(d) A piece of a broken green bowl.
3. In Part 4, what does Creon say will happen to Jonas if he keeps quiet?
(a) He will keep his job.
(b) He will be reassigned, but his fellow guards will be executed.
(c) He will live.
(d) He will be forgiven.
4. How does Antigone respond to the first thing that Creon asks her in Part 5?
(a) She lies.
(b) She spits in Creon's face.
(c) She refuses to answer.
(d) She says that she has.
5. When Creon tells Antigone to leave, why does Creon stop her in Part 5?
(a) He thinks that she is going to commit suicide.
(b) He wants to extract a written promise from her.
(c) He can see that she is not going to her room.
(d) He wants to tell her that she needs to leave Haemon.
6. What does Antigone do in response to Creon's promise in Part 5?
(a) She turns her back on him.
(b) She tells him that she is not hungry.
(c) She begins to cry.
(d) She tells him that it doesn't matter because she will just do it again.
7. In Part 6, after Haemon begs Creon to be courageous, how does Creon respond?
(a) Tells Haemon to stand up straight and face the world head on.
(b) He breaks down and weeps.
(c) Tells Haemon that he has no choice and must accept his fate.
(d) He walks away.
8. How does Antigone leave at the very end of Part 6?
(a) Crying and shaking.
(c) Fighting and screaming.
9. In Part 4, the Chorus says there are four aspects of a tragedy. What is one of those aspects?
(a) Restful because there is no hope.
(b) Mind numbing yet joyous.
(c) Sad and disingenuous.
10. In Part 5, what is the first thing that Creon asks Antigone?
(a) If she is crazy.
(b) Why she did what she did.
(c) If she was willing to apologize for what she did.
(d) If anyone else knew what she was doing.
11. At the end of Part 6, Antigone confesses that she is what?
(a) Afraid of dying.
(b) Wishing her mother was with her.
(c) Happy to make a sacrifice.
(d) Sad for Haemon.
12. In Part 6, Antigone begs Creon to do something about the problem in the palace so she can do what?
(a) Talk to Haemon.
(b) Talk to Ismene.
(c) Escape while he is preoccupied.
(d) Die in peace.
13. In Part 5, how does Antigone ask Creon to kill her?
14. After Antigone asks Creon to kill her in a certain way, what does Creon say he wants to do?
(a) Send her to the afterlife be with her father, mother and brothers.
(b) Save her.
(c) Keep her away from Haemon.
(d) Make an example of her.
15. How do the guards and Jonas bring Antigone in?
(a) They shove her.
(b) They drag her.
(c) They carry her.
(d) They walk her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antigone try to convince the guards to let her go?
2. In Part 4, how deeply was Polynices's body buried?
3. What does Jonas do when Creon tells him what he is going to do to the guards for their lack of awareness in Part 4?
4. What is distinctive about the item Antigone uses to bury Polynices?
5. Where is Antigone's execution to take place?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)