|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Creon's occupation?
(b) Court messenger.
(c) The king's treasurer.
(d) King of Thebes.
2. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
(a) Their pets' names.
(b) Their date of birth.
(c) Their current state of health.
(d) Their eventual fates.
3. After Haemon exits in Part 3, who comes in to talk to Antigone?
(d) Her mother's ghost.
4. What happens to Oedipus?
(a) He dies.
(b) He kills his sons in a rage.
(c) He attends a council meeting.
(d) He flees the city.
5. How is Haemon described in Part 1?
(a) Boorish and uncommonly ugly.
(b) Dour and sapid.
(c) Fun loving and sport loving.
(d) Adventurous and fickle.
6. Whom does Ismene say needs Antigone?
(c) All of the answers are correct.
(d) The dog.
7. In Part 2, Ismene tells Antigone that she is what?
(a) Careless and unhappy.
(b) Young and beautiful.
(c) Her hero.
(d) Bold and brave.
8. Ismene reminds Antigone that Polynices was more of a ___________ to them.
(a) None of the answers are true.
(c) Good friend.
9. What did Antigone do to try to find out if Haemon really wanted her in Part 3?
(a) Tried to seduce him.
(b) Wrote hm a love letter.
(c) Dressed in Ismenes clothes and makeup.
(d) Sent another woman in her place to see if Haemon would slip.
10. What does Ismene ask Antigone after Antigone says that she has considered all of the possible consequences of her proposed actions in Part 2?
(a) If Antigone will leave Ismene her treasured brooch.
(b) If Antigone really thinks her plan will work.
(c) If Antigone doesn't want to live.
(d) If Antigone wants to go to breakfast.
11. What is Antigone's response to Ismene's reply when Antigone tells Ismene about her plan?
(a) She leaves the room angrily.
(b) She agrees and offers Ismene another option.
(c) She disagrees and begins to pack.
(d) She refuses, saying that it is the way things are meant to be.
12. What is the final, tragic result of the agreement between Eteocles and Polynices in Part 1?
(a) A plague sweeps through the city, and they both die.
(b) They kill each other.
(c) They are both asassinated.
(d) Their father has them executed.
13. Who confronts Antigone in the beginning of Part 2?
14. In Part 3, Ismene urges Antigone not to what?
(a) Go to the castle without assistance.
(b) Attempt what's beyond her strength.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Delay the inevitable.
15. What is Antigone wishing in Part 1?
(a) That her beloved was rich.
(b) That her mother would let her go out by herself.
(c) That the rain would stop.
(d) That she didn't have to die soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, what does the person who confronts Antigone say in response to Antigone's reply about where she had been?
2. In Part 3, why did Antigone say that she was telling Haemon all the things she was telling him?
3. In Part 2, what does Antigone say that she is not?
4. What does Ismene say she can't do in Part 3?
5. Who is the youth alone on the other side of the stage?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)