|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't the boy alone on the side of the stage laughing and talking with the other characters?
(a) He is shy.
(b) His father forbade him to speak to people above his station in life
(c) He is tasked with bringing news of Haemon's death.
(d) He is listening intently to the conversation.
2. In Part 2, what does Antigone say that she is not?
3. In Part 2, what does the person who confronts Antigone say in response to Antigone's reply about where she had been?
(a) That Antigone's mother would be disappointed if she were still alive.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) That Antigone was raised carefully.
(d) That Antigone is different from her sister.
4. In Part 3, when Haemon is about to respond to all of Antigone's comments, what does she force him to do?
(a) Kneel at her feet.
(b) Stop crying.
(d) Think about what he's going to say before he says it.
5. In Part 3, as Nurse is wondering what is wrong with Antigone, who enters the room?
6. Who does Antigone send to get coffee in Part 2?
7. What does Ismene try to do when Antigone wants to discuss her plan in Part 2?
(a) Talk Antigone into getting someone else to do it.
(b) Convince Antigone that running away will solve nothing.
(c) Talk Antigone out of it.
(d) Tell Antigone that she will help.
8. Who is Oedipus?
(a) A lonley old beggar.
(b) King of Thebes.
(c) A man with no destiny.
(d) Creon's father.
9. When Creon's wife is introduced, it is said that she will continue her task until what?
(a) She finds the socks.
(b) She hears her husband's call.
(c) It is her turn to kill herself.
(d) The bell tolls.
10. Ismene tells Antigone that she should __________ Polynices like Polynices ____________ them.
(a) Love; loved.
(b) Watch; watched.
(c) Forget; forgot.
(d) Bond with; bonded with.
11. What does Antigone ask of Nurse when Nurse enters the room?
(a) To treat her dog well.
(b) To close the door on her way out.
(c) To take care of Ismene.
(d) To bring her toast and jam.
12. What did Haemon do in Part 3 that caused the quarrel between him and Antigone?
(a) Told Antigone that he didn't love her.
(b) Laughed at Antigone.
(c) Asked Antigone to elope with him.
(d) Wouldn't let Antigone in his house.
13. What happens to Eteocles's body in Part 1?
(a) It is thrown in the river like a piece of trash.
(b) He is given an elaborate funeral.
(c) It is hung on a tree to warn all who come to challenge the king.
(d) It is never found.
14. In Part 2, Antigone tells the Nurse that she is too _____________ for what she must do.
15. What does Prologue explain after the characters are introduced in Part 1?
(a) The reason the introductions are so detailed.
(b) Some of the situations the characters will soon face.
(c) The author's intent in writing the play.
(d) Some of the play's background.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Part 1 say about the play's setting?
2. Who is the youth alone on the other side of the stage?
3. What does Antigone make Haemon promise in Part 3?
4. Who confronts Antigone in the beginning of Part 2?
5. How is the Nurse described in Part 1?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)