|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, after Antigone explains everything to Haemon, what does she tell him is the only thing he can do to show her that he loves her?
(a) Commit suicide.
(c) Marry her right away.
(d) Give her the money she needs.
2. How is Antigone described in Part 1?
(a) A bright, blond woman.
(b) An uncommonly beautiful creature.
(c) A dark, thin girl.
(d) An angel.
3. What happens to Eteocles's body in Part 1?
(a) He is given an elaborate funeral.
(b) It is thrown in the river like a piece of trash.
(c) It is hung on a tree to warn all who come to challenge the king.
(d) It is never found.
4. How is Antigone's sister described in Part 1?
(a) A quiet, shy girl.
(b) A dark, thin girl.
(c) A voluptuous, ambitious girl.
(d) A happy, laughing girl.
5. In Part 2, what does Antigone tell Ismene that she should not forgo?
(a) Her prayers.
(b) Her beauty sleep.
(c) Her chores.
(d) Her breakfast.
6. What did Haemon do in Part 3 that caused the quarrel between him and Antigone?
(a) Laughed at Antigone.
(b) Wouldn't let Antigone in his house.
(c) Told Antigone that he didn't love her.
(d) Asked Antigone to elope with him.
7. What is Antigone's nickname for the Nurse?
(a) Her "dearest, darling Nurse."
(b) Her "sweet red apple."
(c) Her "second mother."
(d) She doesn't have one.
8. When Haemon enters, what does the Nurse do?
(a) Gives him a lecture about Antigone's purity.
(b) Demands that he take off his shoes.
(d) Stares at him angrily.
9. Antigone says the Nurse is stronger than what in Part 2?
(a) All of the answers are correct.
10. Why isn't the boy alone on the side of the stage laughing and talking with the other characters?
(a) He is tasked with bringing news of Haemon's death.
(b) His father forbade him to speak to people above his station in life
(c) He is shy.
(d) He is listening intently to the conversation.
11. What is the Nurse doing when she is introduced?
(a) Winding wool.
(b) Dancing merrily.
(c) Scrubbing the nursery.
(d) Preparing the medicine tray.
12. What does Antigone ask of Nurse when Nurse enters the room?
(a) To bring her toast and jam.
(b) To close the door on her way out.
(c) To treat her dog well.
(d) To take care of Ismene.
13. What is Creon's wife doing when she is introduced?
(a) Practicing her lines.
(b) Looking for her husband's socks.
(c) Brushing her daughter's hair.
14. Polynices is Ismene's ______________.
15. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
(a) Their eventual fates.
(b) Their current state of health.
(c) Their pets' names.
(d) Their date of birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Creon's occupation?
2. What is the final, tragic result of the agreement between Eteocles and Polynices in Part 1?
3. When Creon's wife is introduced, it is said that she will continue her task until what?
4. What does Ismene try to do when Antigone wants to discuss her plan in Part 2?
5. In Part 2, what does the person who confronts Antigone say in response to Antigone's reply about where she had been?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)