|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Oedipus?
(a) Creon's father.
(b) King of Thebes.
(c) A lonley old beggar.
(d) A man with no destiny.
2. What is Creon's occupation?
(a) King of Thebes.
(b) The king's treasurer.
(d) Court messenger.
3. In Part 3, when Haemon is about to respond to all of Antigone's comments, what does she force him to do?
(a) Kneel at her feet.
(c) Think about what he's going to say before he says it.
(d) Stop crying.
4. What did Antigone do to try to find out if Haemon really wanted her in Part 3?
(a) Dressed in Ismenes clothes and makeup.
(b) Tried to seduce him.
(c) Sent another woman in her place to see if Haemon would slip.
(d) Wrote hm a love letter.
5. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
(a) Their pets' names.
(b) Their eventual fates.
(c) Their date of birth.
(d) Their current state of health.
6. What does Nurse bring at the beginning of Part 3?
(a) A gallant friend.
(b) Her knitting.
(c) Coffee and toast.
7. What was Creon's former occupation?
(b) Servant to the king's advisor.
(c) Chief advisor to the king.
(d) King of Thebes.
8. What does Part 1 say about the play's setting?
(a) It is in the south of France on the shore of the Cote d'Azur.
(b) It is in a gloomy wood.
(c) There is no mention of the play's setting.
(d) It has no geographical or historical implications.
9. What is Antigone wishing in Part 1?
(a) That she didn't have to die soon.
(b) That the rain would stop.
(c) That her mother would let her go out by herself.
(d) That her beloved was rich.
10. What does Antigone do when she is confronted in Part 2?
(a) Falls to the floor weeping.
(b) Denies all accusations.
(c) Openly admits where she was.
(d) Hints that the person who confonted her is correct.
11. In Part 3, Antigone tells Ismene that it is too ___________.
(c) Much work.
12. In Part 3, as Nurse is wondering what is wrong with Antigone, who enters the room?
13. What does Ismene say she can't do in Part 3?
(a) Believe that Haemon wants to marry Antigone.
(b) Find the brooch Antigone was asking for.
(c) All of the answers are correct.
14. What happens to Oedipus?
(a) He dies.
(b) He attends a council meeting.
(c) He kills his sons in a rage.
(d) He flees the city.
15. In Part 2, for what does the Nurse chastise Antigone and Ismene?
(a) For rising so early.
(b) For not respecting her.
(c) For not having any common sense.
(d) For making too much noise.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Ismene tells Antigone that she is what?
2. Ismene reminds Antigone that Polynices was more of a ___________ to them.
3. Who is the youth alone on the other side of the stage?
4. What does the person who confronts Antigone in Part 2 think Antigone was doing?
5. What happens to Eteocles's body in Part 1?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)