|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Haemon and Creon related?
(a) Creon is Haemon's brother.
(b) Creaon is Haemon's instructor.
(c) Creon is Haemon's father.
(d) Creon is Haemon's uncle.
2. In Part 3, why did Antigone say that she was telling Haemon all the things she was telling him?
(a) Because she wants him to know the truth.
(b) Because she wants to get married right away.
(c) Because she can't marry him.
(d) Because she wants him to know everything.
3. What happens to Eteocles's body in Part 1?
(a) He is given an elaborate funeral.
(b) It is thrown in the river like a piece of trash.
(c) It is hung on a tree to warn all who come to challenge the king.
(d) It is never found.
4. What is Creon's wife doing when she is introduced?
(a) Practicing her lines.
(c) Brushing her daughter's hair.
(d) Looking for her husband's socks.
5. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
(a) Their date of birth.
(b) Their current state of health.
(c) Their pets' names.
(d) Their eventual fates.
6. How is Antigone described in Part 1?
(a) A dark, thin girl.
(b) A bright, blond woman.
(c) An uncommonly beautiful creature.
(d) An angel.
7. Who are Eteocles and Polynices?
(a) Sons of King Oedipus.
(b) Men named as rulers of Thebes.
(c) Antigone's brothers.
(d) All answers are correct.
8. What did Antigone do to try to find out if Haemon really wanted her in Part 3?
(a) Tried to seduce him.
(b) Wrote hm a love letter.
(c) Dressed in Ismenes clothes and makeup.
(d) Sent another woman in her place to see if Haemon would slip.
9. In Part 2, who does Ismene say dies for ideas?
(b) The brave.
(c) The foolhardy.
(d) The cowards.
10. In Part 2, what does the person who confronts Antigone say in response to Antigone's reply about where she had been?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) That Antigone's mother would be disappointed if she were still alive.
(c) That Antigone is different from her sister.
(d) That Antigone was raised carefully.
11. What is Antigone's nickname for the Nurse?
(a) Her "sweet red apple."
(b) She doesn't have one.
(c) Her "dearest, darling Nurse."
(d) Her "second mother."
12. What does Antigone do when she is confronted in Part 2?
(a) Openly admits where she was.
(b) Falls to the floor weeping.
(c) Hints that the person who confonted her is correct.
(d) Denies all accusations.
13. What does Antigone make Haemon promise in Part 3?
(a) That when she's finished saying what she has to say, he will walk away withough looking back.
(b) To never marry another woman.
(c) To love her as long as she is alive.
(d) To take her with him when he goes away to war.
14. In Part 3, Ismene urges Antigone not to what?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Delay the inevitable.
(c) Attempt what's beyond her strength.
(d) Go to the castle without assistance.
15. What does Prologue explain after the characters are introduced in Part 1?
(a) Some of the situations the characters will soon face.
(b) The author's intent in writing the play.
(c) The reason the introductions are so detailed.
(d) Some of the play's background.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Antigone's response to Ismene's reply when Antigone tells Ismene about her plan?
2. What does the person who confronts Antigone in Part 2 think Antigone was doing?
3. What does Ismene try to do when Antigone wants to discuss her plan in Part 2?
4. What is the agreement between Eteocles and Polynices?
5. In Part 3, for what does Antigone apologize to Haemon?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)