|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Haemon described in Part 1?
(a) Dour and sapid.
(b) Fun loving and sport loving.
(c) Adventurous and fickle.
(d) Boorish and uncommonly ugly.
2. How is the Nurse described in Part 1?
(a) A young, fresh faced maiden.
(b) A special family member.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A middle-aged courtier.
3. In Part 2, what does the person who confronts Antigone say in response to Antigone's reply about where she had been?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) That Antigone is different from her sister.
(c) That Antigone's mother would be disappointed if she were still alive.
(d) That Antigone was raised carefully.
4. In Part 2, who does Ismene say dies for ideas?
(a) The brave.
(b) The cowards.
(d) The foolhardy.
5. What does the person who confronts Antigone do when expressing her frustration?
(a) Stalks out of the room.
(c) Screams in anger.
6. Ismene tells Antigone that she should __________ Polynices like Polynices ____________ them.
(a) Bond with; bonded with.
(b) Love; loved.
(c) Forget; forgot.
(d) Watch; watched.
7. What is the final, tragic result of the agreement between Eteocles and Polynices in Part 1?
(a) They are both asassinated.
(b) A plague sweeps through the city, and they both die.
(c) They kill each other.
(d) Their father has them executed.
8. What is the initial result when Eteocles refuses to honor the agreement with Polynices?
(a) A war breaks out.
(b) A new agreement is drawn up.
(c) A marriage is arranged.
(d) The throne is ceded to a relative.
9. What does Antigone say wards off evil in Part 2?
(a) Her mother's cross.
(b) The Nurse's hands.
(c) Her lucky charm.
(d) Her sister's love.
10. In Part 3, what did Antigone borrow from Ismene?
(a) Ismene's dress.
(b) Ismene's jewelry.
(c) Ismene's makeup and perfume.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
11. Who is the youth alone on the other side of the stage?
(a) The Page Boy.
(b) The Messenger.
(c) The Fiance.
(d) The Ignominious One.
12. Why isn't the boy alone on the side of the stage laughing and talking with the other characters?
(a) He is tasked with bringing news of Haemon's death.
(b) He is listening intently to the conversation.
(c) He is shy.
(d) His father forbade him to speak to people above his station in life
13. How does Antigone enter in the beginning of Part 2?
(a) She bangs the door open and runs in.
(b) She strides in angrily.
(c) She slips in through the window.
(d) She creeps in.
14. When Haemon enters, what does the Nurse do?
(a) Gives him a lecture about Antigone's purity.
(b) Stares at him angrily.
(d) Demands that he take off his shoes.
15. What does Antigone feel like when the person who confronts her gets frustrated in Part 2?
(b) A naughty brat.
(c) A cruel sister.
(d) A little girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polynices is Ismene's ______________.
2. What happens to Eteocles's body in Part 1?
3. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
4. What does Part 1 say about the play's setting?
5. In Part 2, Ismene says that Antigone behaves too __________.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)