|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Oedipus?
(a) He dies.
(b) He attends a council meeting.
(c) He flees the city.
(d) He kills his sons in a rage.
2. What does Part 1 say about the play's setting?
(a) It is in a gloomy wood.
(b) It is in the south of France on the shore of the Cote d'Azur.
(c) There is no mention of the play's setting.
(d) It has no geographical or historical implications.
3. What is Creon's occupation?
(a) King of Thebes.
(b) The king's treasurer.
(c) Court messenger.
4. What does Antigone tell Nurse to do if her dog keeps waiting by the door?
(a) To give the dog away.
(b) To ignore the dog.
(c) To put the dog down.
(d) To take the dog home with her.
5. What is the character's name who introduces the other characters?
(c) The Chorus.
6. What is the initial result when Eteocles refuses to honor the agreement with Polynices?
(a) A new agreement is drawn up.
(b) A marriage is arranged.
(c) A war breaks out.
(d) The throne is ceded to a relative.
7. How are Haemon and Creon related?
(a) Creon is Haemon's brother.
(b) Creaon is Haemon's instructor.
(c) Creon is Haemon's father.
(d) Creon is Haemon's uncle.
8. What does Ismene say Creon has that will drag them to the scaffold?
(a) A mob of thousands of arms and eyes.
(b) An army of hundreds.
(c) A wooden cart full of straw.
(d) A strong, black stallion.
9. What does Ismene try to do when Antigone wants to discuss her plan in Part 2?
(a) Talk Antigone out of it.
(b) Talk Antigone into getting someone else to do it.
(c) Tell Antigone that she will help.
(d) Convince Antigone that running away will solve nothing.
10. Whom does Ismene say needs Antigone?
(b) All of the answers are correct.
(d) The dog.
11. How is Antigone's sister described in Part 1?
(a) A dark, thin girl.
(b) A voluptuous, ambitious girl.
(c) A happy, laughing girl.
(d) A quiet, shy girl.
12. When Creon's wife is introduced, it is said that she will continue her task until what?
(a) She finds the socks.
(b) The bell tolls.
(c) She hears her husband's call.
(d) It is her turn to kill herself.
13. What is the agreement between Eteocles and Polynices?
(a) Polynices would be named king.
(b) They would go to war against Macedonia.
(c) Eteocles would be named king.
(d) They would rule in alternate years.
14. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
(a) Their date of birth.
(b) Their pets' names.
(c) Their eventual fates.
(d) Their current state of health.
15. What is the punishment for not following the king's orders about Polynices's body?
(a) A heavy fine and incarceration.
(c) Hard labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Haemon enters, what does the Nurse do?
2. In Part 3, why did Antigone say that she was telling Haemon all the things she was telling him?
3. In Part 2, who does Ismene say dies for ideas?
4. How is Antigone described in Part 1?
5. Who confronts Antigone in the beginning of Part 2?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)