|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ismene ask Antigone after Antigone says that she has considered all of the possible consequences of her proposed actions in Part 2?
(a) If Antigone really thinks her plan will work.
(b) If Antigone doesn't want to live.
(c) If Antigone wants to go to breakfast.
(d) If Antigone will leave Ismene her treasured brooch.
2. What happens to Eteocles's body in Part 1?
(a) It is hung on a tree to warn all who come to challenge the king.
(b) It is never found.
(c) It is thrown in the river like a piece of trash.
(d) He is given an elaborate funeral.
3. What is Antigone's nickname for the Nurse?
(a) Her "dearest, darling Nurse."
(b) Her "sweet red apple."
(c) She doesn't have one.
(d) Her "second mother."
4. How is Antigone's sister described in Part 1?
(a) A quiet, shy girl.
(b) A dark, thin girl.
(c) A happy, laughing girl.
(d) A voluptuous, ambitious girl.
5. How is the Nurse described in Part 1?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A special family member.
(c) A young, fresh faced maiden.
(d) A middle-aged courtier.
6. What is Creon's wife doing when she is introduced?
(a) Practicing her lines.
(b) Brushing her daughter's hair.
(c) Looking for her husband's socks.
7. In Part 2, Ismene tells Antigone that she is what?
(a) Bold and brave.
(b) Careless and unhappy.
(c) Young and beautiful.
(d) Her hero.
8. What does Nurse bring at the beginning of Part 3?
(a) Her knitting.
(b) A gallant friend.
(d) Coffee and toast.
9. When Creon's wife is introduced, it is said that she will continue her task until what?
(a) She hears her husband's call.
(b) The bell tolls.
(c) It is her turn to kill herself.
(d) She finds the socks.
10. What is the agreement between Eteocles and Polynices?
(a) They would go to war against Macedonia.
(b) Eteocles would be named king.
(c) They would rule in alternate years.
(d) Polynices would be named king.
11. What is Ismene doing in Part 1 when she is introduced?
(a) Lamenting her eventual fate.
(b) Asking Creon to accept her as a courtesan.
(c) Laughing and chatting with Haemon.
(d) Pretending she is alone.
12. What is the initial result when Eteocles refuses to honor the agreement with Polynices?
(a) A war breaks out.
(b) A new agreement is drawn up.
(c) A marriage is arranged.
(d) The throne is ceded to a relative.
13. How is Haemon described in Part 1?
(a) Adventurous and fickle.
(b) Boorish and uncommonly ugly.
(c) Fun loving and sport loving.
(d) Dour and sapid.
14. What did Antigone fling at Ismene when they were children?
(b) Worms and mud.
(c) Rotten apples.
15. In Part 2, who does Ismene say dies for ideas?
(b) The brave.
(c) The cowards.
(d) The foolhardy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Haemon and Creon related?
2. In Part 3, when Haemon is about to respond to all of Antigone's comments, what does she force him to do?
3. What is Antigone's response to Ismene's reply when Antigone tells Ismene about her plan?
4. What is Antigone carrying in the beginning of Part 2?
5. What is Antigone's sister's name?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)