|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Antigone described in Part 1?
(a) An uncommonly beautiful creature.
(b) A dark, thin girl.
(c) An angel.
(d) A bright, blond woman.
2. What did Antigone fling at Ismene when they were children?
(a) Worms and mud.
(b) Rotten apples.
3. What does the person who confronts Antigone in Part 2 think Antigone was doing?
(a) Taking a walk without her chaperone.
(b) Attending lessons without permission.
(c) Visiting her secret sweetheart.
(d) Painting in the garden.
4. What does Antigone ask of Nurse when Nurse enters the room?
(a) To take care of Ismene.
(b) To treat her dog well.
(c) To bring her toast and jam.
(d) To close the door on her way out.
5. In Part 3, Ismene urges Antigone not to what?
(a) Delay the inevitable.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Attempt what's beyond her strength.
(d) Go to the castle without assistance.
6. What did Antigone do to try to find out if Haemon really wanted her in Part 3?
(a) Wrote hm a love letter.
(b) Dressed in Ismenes clothes and makeup.
(c) Sent another woman in her place to see if Haemon would slip.
(d) Tried to seduce him.
7. What is Antigone carrying in the beginning of Part 2?
(a) The weight of the world.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) A large knife.
(d) Her suitcase.
8. What did Haemon do in Part 3 that caused the quarrel between him and Antigone?
(a) Asked Antigone to elope with him.
(b) Laughed at Antigone.
(c) Told Antigone that he didn't love her.
(d) Wouldn't let Antigone in his house.
9. Who are Eteocles and Polynices?
(a) Men named as rulers of Thebes.
(b) Antigone's brothers.
(c) Sons of King Oedipus.
(d) All answers are correct.
10. What happens to Polynices's body in Part 1?
(a) He is given an elaborate funeral.
(b) t is hung on a tree to warn all who come to challenge the king.
(c) He is left unburied for the vultures, vermin and insects to feed on.
(d) It is never found.
11. In Part 3, after Antigone explains everything to Haemon, what does she tell him is the only thing he can do to show her that he loves her?
(a) Marry her right away.
(b) Commit suicide.
(d) Give her the money she needs.
12. What is the initial result when Eteocles refuses to honor the agreement with Polynices?
(a) A new agreement is drawn up.
(b) A war breaks out.
(c) A marriage is arranged.
(d) The throne is ceded to a relative.
13. What happens to Oedipus?
(a) He dies.
(b) He flees the city.
(c) He kills his sons in a rage.
(d) He attends a council meeting.
14. How does Antigone enter in the beginning of Part 2?
(a) She creeps in.
(b) She strides in angrily.
(c) She slips in through the window.
(d) She bangs the door open and runs in.
15. In Part 3, what did Antigone borrow from Ismene?
(a) Ismene's jewelry.
(b) Ismene's dress.
(c) Ismene's makeup and perfume.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Antigone's sister's name?
2. What is Antigone's nickname for the Nurse?
3. In Part 2, who does Ismene say dies for ideas?
4. In Part 2, what does Antigone tell Ismene that she should not forgo?
5. Who does Antigone send to get coffee in Part 2?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)