|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, under what conditions does Ismene think Antigone will perform the task Ismene fears she will?
(a) Smothering midnight.
(b) Driving snow.
(c) Pounding rain.
(d) Broad daylight.
2. What does Antigone ask Haemon after her apology in Part 3?
(a) If he loves her.
(b) If he knows her favorite color.
(c) If he wants a dog.
(d) If he wants to marry someone else.
3. Antigone says the Nurse is stronger than what in Part 2?
(a) All of the answers are correct.
4. What happens to Oedipus?
(a) He dies.
(b) He kills his sons in a rage.
(c) He flees the city.
(d) He attends a council meeting.
5. What does Antigone do when she is confronted in Part 2?
(a) Openly admits where she was.
(b) Hints that the person who confonted her is correct.
(c) Denies all accusations.
(d) Falls to the floor weeping.
6. What does Antigone ask of Nurse when Nurse enters the room?
(a) To take care of Ismene.
(b) To treat her dog well.
(c) To bring her toast and jam.
(d) To close the door on her way out.
7. In Part 2, what is one of the things Antigone says her family told her not to do?
(a) Marry for love.
(b) Run in the wind.
(c) Go out without a chaperone.
(d) Behave willfully.
8. What does Antigone say wards off evil in Part 2?
(a) Her mother's cross.
(b) The Nurse's hands.
(c) Her sister's love.
(d) Her lucky charm.
9. Polynices is Ismene's ______________.
10. In Part 3, Ismene urges Antigone not to what?
(a) Attempt what's beyond her strength.
(b) Go to the castle without assistance.
(c) Delay the inevitable.
(d) All answers are correct.
11. What did Antigone say that she wanted Haemon to do when she visited him the previous evening?
(a) Take her to dinner.
(b) Make love to her.
(c) Swear his undying love.
(d) Give her a ring.
12. After Haemon exits in Part 3, who comes in to talk to Antigone?
(c) Her mother's ghost.
13. What does the person who confronts Antigone do when expressing her frustration?
(b) Screams in anger.
(d) Stalks out of the room.
14. What does Part 1 say about the play's setting?
(a) There is no mention of the play's setting.
(b) It is in the south of France on the shore of the Cote d'Azur.
(c) It is in a gloomy wood.
(d) It has no geographical or historical implications.
15. When Creon's wife is introduced, it is said that she will continue her task until what?
(a) The bell tolls.
(b) She finds the socks.
(c) She hears her husband's call.
(d) It is her turn to kill herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Eteocles's body in Part 1?
2. Who is Oedipus?
3. What is the Nurse doing when she is introduced?
4. What is Creon's wife doing when she is introduced?
5. Whom does Ismene say needs Antigone?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)