|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Antigone's plan in Part 2?
(a) To run away.
(b) To elope.
(c) To marry the king.
(d) To bury Polynices.
2. What is Ismene doing in Part 1 when she is introduced?
(a) Laughing and chatting with Haemon.
(b) Lamenting her eventual fate.
(c) Asking Creon to accept her as a courtesan.
(d) Pretending she is alone.
3. What does the person who confronts Antigone in Part 2 think Antigone was doing?
(a) Attending lessons without permission.
(b) Taking a walk without her chaperone.
(c) Painting in the garden.
(d) Visiting her secret sweetheart.
4. How are Haemon and Creon related?
(a) Creaon is Haemon's instructor.
(b) Creon is Haemon's father.
(c) Creon is Haemon's uncle.
(d) Creon is Haemon's brother.
5. How does Antigone enter in the beginning of Part 2?
(a) She bangs the door open and runs in.
(b) She slips in through the window.
(c) She creeps in.
(d) She strides in angrily.
6. What does Nurse bring at the beginning of Part 3?
(b) Coffee and toast.
(c) A gallant friend.
(d) Her knitting.
7. In Part 2, what does Antigone say that she is not?
8. In Part 2, who does Ismene say dies for ideas?
(a) The foolhardy.
(c) The cowards.
(d) The brave.
9. Why isn't the boy alone on the side of the stage laughing and talking with the other characters?
(a) He is tasked with bringing news of Haemon's death.
(b) His father forbade him to speak to people above his station in life
(c) He is listening intently to the conversation.
(d) He is shy.
10. What was Creon's former occupation?
(b) King of Thebes.
(c) Chief advisor to the king.
(d) Servant to the king's advisor.
11. In Part 3, Ismene urges Antigone not to what?
(a) Go to the castle without assistance.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Attempt what's beyond her strength.
(d) Delay the inevitable.
12. Whom does Ismene say needs Antigone?
(a) The dog.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
13. How is Haemon described in Part 1?
(a) Dour and sapid.
(b) Fun loving and sport loving.
(c) Boorish and uncommonly ugly.
(d) Adventurous and fickle.
14. What is Antigone's nickname for the Nurse?
(a) Her "second mother."
(b) She doesn't have one.
(c) Her "sweet red apple."
(d) Her "dearest, darling Nurse."
15. What does Part 1 say about the play's setting?
(a) It has no geographical or historical implications.
(b) It is in a gloomy wood.
(c) It is in the south of France on the shore of the Cote d'Azur.
(d) There is no mention of the play's setting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Nurse described in Part 1?
2. After Haemon exits in Part 3, who comes in to talk to Antigone?
3. In Part 3, as Nurse is wondering what is wrong with Antigone, who enters the room?
4. Antigone says the Nurse is stronger than what in Part 2?
5. In Part 2, what is one of the things Antigone says her family told her not to do?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)