|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the character's name who introduces the other characters?
(d) The Chorus.
2. Who is looking for Antigone in Part 2?
3. In Part 2, what is one of the things Antigone says her family told her not to do?
(a) Behave willfully.
(b) Marry for love.
(c) Run in the wind.
(d) Go out without a chaperone.
4. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
(a) Their date of birth.
(b) Their eventual fates.
(c) Their pets' names.
(d) Their current state of health.
5. What does Antigone ask of Nurse when Nurse enters the room?
(a) To treat her dog well.
(b) To bring her toast and jam.
(c) To take care of Ismene.
(d) To close the door on her way out.
6. What did Antigone do to try to find out if Haemon really wanted her in Part 3?
(a) Tried to seduce him.
(b) Dressed in Ismenes clothes and makeup.
(c) Sent another woman in her place to see if Haemon would slip.
(d) Wrote hm a love letter.
7. In Part 2, Ismene says that Antigone behaves too __________.
8. In Part 3, under what conditions does Ismene think Antigone will perform the task Ismene fears she will?
(a) Smothering midnight.
(b) Broad daylight.
(c) Driving snow.
(d) Pounding rain.
9. Who is Oedipus?
(a) King of Thebes.
(b) A man with no destiny.
(c) A lonley old beggar.
(d) Creon's father.
10. After Haemon exits in Part 3, who comes in to talk to Antigone?
(b) Her mother's ghost.
11. In Part 2, Antigone tells the Nurse that she is too _____________ for what she must do.
12. How is Antigone described in Part 1?
(a) An angel.
(b) An uncommonly beautiful creature.
(c) A bright, blond woman.
(d) A dark, thin girl.
13. What does Antigone say wards off evil in Part 2?
(a) Her mother's cross.
(b) Her sister's love.
(c) The Nurse's hands.
(d) Her lucky charm.
14. In Part 2, who does Ismene say dies for ideas?
(a) The foolhardy.
(b) The cowards.
(c) The brave.
15. In Part 3, after Antigone explains everything to Haemon, what does she tell him is the only thing he can do to show her that he loves her?
(a) Marry her right away.
(c) Give her the money she needs.
(d) Commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polynices is Ismene's ______________.
2. In Part 2, how does Antigone think her mother would feel about what she was doing?
3. What did Antigone fling at Ismene when they were children?
4. Who does Antigone send to get coffee in Part 2?
5. What does Ismene ask Antigone after Antigone says that she has considered all of the possible consequences of her proposed actions in Part 2?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)