|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Nurse described in Part 1?
(a) A special family member.
(b) A middle-aged courtier.
(c) A young, fresh faced maiden.
(d) An old woman.
2. What is the agreement between Eteocles and Polynices?
(a) Polynices would be named king.
(b) They would go to war against Macedonia.
(c) They would rule in alternate years.
(d) Eteocles would be named king.
3. What does Antigone do when she is confronted in Part 2?
(a) Falls to the floor weeping.
(b) Hints that the person who confonted her is correct.
(c) Denies all accusations.
(d) Openly admits where she was.
4. Antigone says the Nurse is stronger than what in Part 2?
(c) All of the answers are correct.
5. Who is looking for Antigone in Part 2?
6. What is Antigone wishing in Part 1?
(a) That her mother would let her go out by herself.
(b) That her beloved was rich.
(c) That the rain would stop.
(d) That she didn't have to die soon.
7. In Part 2, Ismene tells Antigone that she is what?
(a) Young and beautiful.
(b) Her hero.
(c) Bold and brave.
(d) Careless and unhappy.
8. In Part 3, for what does Antigone apologize to Haemon?
(a) Leaving before lunch.
(b) Their quarrel the previous night.
(c) Breaking his watch.
(d) Calling him a weakling.
9. What does the person who confronts Antigone in Part 2 think Antigone was doing?
(a) Taking a walk without her chaperone.
(b) Attending lessons without permission.
(c) Visiting her secret sweetheart.
(d) Painting in the garden.
10. What did Antigone fling at Ismene when they were children?
(b) Rotten apples.
(d) Worms and mud.
11. What does Antigone say wards off evil in Part 2?
(a) Her lucky charm.
(b) Her mother's cross.
(c) Her sister's love.
(d) The Nurse's hands.
12. Who is the youth alone on the other side of the stage?
(a) The Fiance.
(b) The Messenger.
(c) The Ignominious One.
(d) The Page Boy.
13. What does Antigone ask Haemon after her apology in Part 3?
(a) If he wants to marry someone else.
(b) If he wants a dog.
(c) If he knows her favorite color.
(d) If he loves her.
14. In Part 2, what does the person who confronts Antigone say in response to Antigone's reply about where she had been?
(a) That Antigone is different from her sister.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) That Antigone was raised carefully.
(d) That Antigone's mother would be disappointed if she were still alive.
15. When Haemon enters, what does the Nurse do?
(b) Stares at him angrily.
(c) Gives him a lecture about Antigone's purity.
(d) Demands that he take off his shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ismene doing in Part 1 when she is introduced?
2. In Part 2, how does Antigone think her mother would feel about what she was doing?
3. In Part 3, after Antigone explains everything to Haemon, what does she tell him is the only thing he can do to show her that he loves her?
4. In Part 2, what does Antigone tell Ismene that she should not forgo?
5. What did Antigone say that she wanted Haemon to do when she visited him the previous evening?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)