|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Prologue explain after the characters are introduced in Part 1?
(a) The author's intent in writing the play.
(b) The reason the introductions are so detailed.
(c) Some of the situations the characters will soon face.
(d) Some of the play's background.
2. In Part 3, when Haemon is about to respond to all of Antigone's comments, what does she force him to do?
(a) Stop crying.
(b) Think about what he's going to say before he says it.
(c) Kneel at her feet.
3. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
(a) Their eventual fates.
(b) Their current state of health.
(c) Their pets' names.
(d) Their date of birth.
4. What does the person who confronts Antigone in Part 2 think Antigone was doing?
(a) Taking a walk without her chaperone.
(b) Painting in the garden.
(c) Attending lessons without permission.
(d) Visiting her secret sweetheart.
5. In Part 3, as Nurse is wondering what is wrong with Antigone, who enters the room?
6. In Part 2, what is one of the things Antigone says her family told her not to do?
(a) Go out without a chaperone.
(b) Marry for love.
(c) Behave willfully.
(d) Run in the wind.
7. What happens to Oedipus?
(a) He flees the city.
(b) He attends a council meeting.
(c) He kills his sons in a rage.
(d) He dies.
8. What does Antigone do when she is confronted in Part 2?
(a) Hints that the person who confonted her is correct.
(b) Openly admits where she was.
(c) Denies all accusations.
(d) Falls to the floor weeping.
9. What did Antigone do to try to find out if Haemon really wanted her in Part 3?
(a) Dressed in Ismenes clothes and makeup.
(b) Sent another woman in her place to see if Haemon would slip.
(c) Wrote hm a love letter.
(d) Tried to seduce him.
10. What is Antigone's nickname for the Nurse?
(a) Her "sweet red apple."
(b) Her "dearest, darling Nurse."
(c) Her "second mother."
(d) She doesn't have one.
11. In Part 3, what did Antigone borrow from Ismene?
(a) Ismene's jewelry.
(b) Ismene's dress.
(c) Ismene's makeup and perfume.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
12. What is Ismene doing in Part 1 when she is introduced?
(a) Pretending she is alone.
(b) Lamenting her eventual fate.
(c) Laughing and chatting with Haemon.
(d) Asking Creon to accept her as a courtesan.
13. What was Creon's former occupation?
(b) Servant to the king's advisor.
(c) Chief advisor to the king.
(d) King of Thebes.
14. How does Antigone enter in the beginning of Part 2?
(a) She creeps in.
(b) She bangs the door open and runs in.
(c) She slips in through the window.
(d) She strides in angrily.
15. Who is the youth alone on the other side of the stage?
(a) The Ignominious One.
(b) The Page Boy.
(c) The Messenger.
(d) The Fiance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ismene say she can't do in Part 3?
2. After Haemon exits in Part 3, who comes in to talk to Antigone?
3. In Part 2, how does Antigone think her mother would feel about what she was doing?
4. In Part 2, what does Antigone say that she is not?
5. Why isn't the boy alone on the side of the stage laughing and talking with the other characters?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)