|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, what does the person who confronts Antigone say in response to Antigone's reply about where she had been?
(a) That Antigone's mother would be disappointed if she were still alive.
(b) That Antigone is different from her sister.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) That Antigone was raised carefully.
2. How is the Nurse described in Part 1?
(a) A special family member.
(b) A middle-aged courtier.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A young, fresh faced maiden.
3. When the characters are introduced in Part 1, their basic characteristics are given. What else is revealed about these characters?
(a) Their pets' names.
(b) Their date of birth.
(c) Their eventual fates.
(d) Their current state of health.
4. In Part 3, what did Antigone borrow from Ismene?
(a) Ismene's jewelry.
(b) Ismene's dress.
(c) All of the answers are correct.
(d) Ismene's makeup and perfume.
5. What happens to Eteocles's body in Part 1?
(a) It is thrown in the river like a piece of trash.
(b) It is hung on a tree to warn all who come to challenge the king.
(c) It is never found.
(d) He is given an elaborate funeral.
6. What is Antigone's nickname for the Nurse?
(a) Her "sweet red apple."
(b) Her "dearest, darling Nurse."
(c) She doesn't have one.
(d) Her "second mother."
7. In Part 2, Ismene tells Antigone that she is what?
(a) Her hero.
(b) Young and beautiful.
(c) Careless and unhappy.
(d) Bold and brave.
8. What does Ismene ask Antigone after Antigone says that she has considered all of the possible consequences of her proposed actions in Part 2?
(a) If Antigone wants to go to breakfast.
(b) If Antigone doesn't want to live.
(c) If Antigone really thinks her plan will work.
(d) If Antigone will leave Ismene her treasured brooch.
9. After Haemon exits in Part 3, who comes in to talk to Antigone?
(a) Her mother's ghost.
10. What did Antigone say that she wanted Haemon to do when she visited him the previous evening?
(a) Take her to dinner.
(b) Swear his undying love.
(c) Give her a ring.
(d) Make love to her.
11. In Part 2, Ismene says that Antigone behaves too __________.
12. What does the person who confronts Antigone do when expressing her frustration?
(a) Stalks out of the room.
(c) Screams in anger.
13. What does Antigone ask of Nurse when Nurse enters the room?
(a) To bring her toast and jam.
(b) To take care of Ismene.
(c) To close the door on her way out.
(d) To treat her dog well.
14. Ismene tells Antigone that she should __________ Polynices like Polynices ____________ them.
(a) Watch; watched.
(b) Forget; forgot.
(c) Bond with; bonded with.
(d) Love; loved.
15. What does Ismene say Creon has that will drag them to the scaffold?
(a) An army of hundreds.
(b) A wooden cart full of straw.
(c) A strong, black stallion.
(d) A mob of thousands of arms and eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Antigone fling at Ismene when they were children?
2. What is Antigone's sister's name?
3. Who is the youth alone on the other side of the stage?
4. In Part 2, what does Antigone say that she is not?
5. What did Haemon do in Part 3 that caused the quarrel between him and Antigone?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)