|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The prophet goes on to tell Creon that he will be paid back _________________.
2. When talking to Haemon, Creon insists that ____________ has no right to tell him how to rule.
3. Who does the new wife blind after the king imprisons the person as answered in #153?
4. Where was King Lycurgus imprisoned for offending a certain goddesses who preside over the people?
5. Antigone asks that all see her as a woman about to die, a woman who will never ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antigone ask all to see her as when she is standing in front of everyone?
2. What does Creon pity in some men after talking with Haemon about their relationship?
3. What does the prophet tell Creon when he enters the room, led by the boy into the court?
4. What does the Messenger say about the grief that the queen must be feeling after the events which took place?
5. Why does Creon believe he will be seen as even more powerful than he is now?
6. Why is Creon happy that Haemon's fascination with Antigone seems to be fading?
7. To whom does Antigone compare her emotional state during her time before Creon?
8. What does the Chorus lament in relation to Antigone's story and to the story of the princess?
9. What does the Messenger have to say about fate at the start of this scene of the play?
10. What does the Chorus elaborate on when it comes to love and its role in the relationship of Haemon and Creon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of a brother has to be a terrifying ordeal for anyone to deal with, no matter the circumstances and the aftermath.
Part 1: Why do you think that Ismene isn't as concerned about Polyneices' burial?
Part 2: Why do you think Antigone feels so strongly that Polyneices be buried?
Part 3: Do you think Antigone was right in making the decision to bury Polynceices? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Even though Antigone knows that she will be punished for her crimes, she admits her actions quickly and explains her intentions.
Part 1: Do you think that Antigone should have confessed for her crimes? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think others in the town feel about Antigone and the way she carried herself after being arrested?
Part 3: What do you think would have happened if Antigone had lied to Creon?
Essay Topic 3
The Chorus seems fickle at times, thus acting much like a mob in a city. However, they also have influence in the story, it seems.
Part 1: Do you think the mob mentality adds a new dimension to the story?
Part 2: Why do you think the Chorus can still affect the outcome of the story, even though it changes positions in the play?
Part 3: Does the commentary of the Chorus help your comprehension and enjoyment of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)