|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The prophet cautions Creon and the actions he has taken, saying that he is on the edge of __________.
2. Haemon points out to his father that the citizens of the city do not see Antigone as a ______________.
3. Whose arrival does Choragos announce at the beginning of the scene in the play?
4. Who leads Teiresias into the court in order to see the King Creon and tell him some news during the play?
5. Even though the king might have everything in life a powerful man might want, without __________ he has nothing coveted by others.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of family values and loyalty is one that is tested time and time again in this story - from Antigone and her beliefs to Haemon and his relationship with his father.
Part 1: Why do you think Antigone values her family even more than the law in this play?
Part 2: Why do you think Haemon is so willing to argue with his father about the law that Antigone breaks?
Part 3: What does this play seem to be saying about the value of family in one's life?
Essay Topic 2
The Chorus is something most readers are not used to seeing in a play as they might see or read in the modern times.
Part 1: Why do you think the Chorus played such an important role in Greek tragedies?
Part 2: Why is the Chorus a necessary part of the play?
Part 3: How might the play have changed if the Chorus had not been included in this play?
Essay Topic 3
The leader of Creon is one that is recognizable in today's culture, with his strong ideas about what is right and what is wrong.
Part 1: Why do you think that Creon can be a good leader for his people?
Part 2: In what ways might Creon not be the best leader choice for his people at the current time?
Part 3: How might Creon need to change in order to become a beloved leader?
This section contains 1,718 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)