|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Creon tells Haemon he is grateful for his ____________ in all matters, and is pleased with Haemon's answer.
2. Choragos tells Creon to do as the prophet tells him to do as the justice of the __________ is swift.
3. Who does the new wife blind after the king imprisons the person as answered in #153?
4. Who was with Antigone in the tomb when Creon showed up to let her go?
5. The Messenger understands that the queen's _____________ might be too great for public display.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fate seems to be a large character in and of itself, causing characters to do things and to not do things in accordance to it.
Part 1: Why do you think the characters in the play are not willing to do things to interfere with fate?
Part 2: Which character(s) seem most likely to ignore what might be considered to be fate? Why?
Part 3: Do you believe in the idea of fate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Death is almost its own character in this story, appearing to advance the story as it unfolds.
Part 1: Why do you think that death is the only possible sentence for Antigone's crime?
Part 2: Why do you think that some of the characters felt that death was the only way to change the outcome of the story?
Part 3: How might the play have been changed if Haemon and the queen had not killed themselves?
Essay Topic 3
At various points of the story, it seems that characters already know what is to happen, even before it happens.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to have this sort of foreshadowing in a piece of literature?
Part 2: Do you think it ruins a story to hint as to what might happen in the end?
Part 3: If the characters already know what's going to happen, why don't they do anything more to stop the hands of fate?
This section contains 1,713 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)