|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The prophet cautions Creon and the actions he has taken, saying that he is on the edge of __________.
2. _____________ starts to tear up at the sight of Antigone being led into the room during the play.
3. Antigone compares her emotional state to that of the former queen of Thebes, _____________.
4. Who does Creon feel have always manipulated him, which is a sign of his own self pity for his situation?
5. What was the result of the visitor who came to see the princess when she was locked up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Chorus elaborate on when it comes to love and its role in the relationship of Haemon and Creon?
2. To whom does Antigone compare her emotional state during her time before Creon?
3. What does the prophet tell Creon when he enters the room, led by the boy into the court?
4. Why does the Messenger answer the queen, Eurydice, with honesty rather than with lies?
5. To whom does this Chorus compare Antigone in this ode and why?
6. Why does Creon believe he will be seen as even more powerful than he is now?
7. Why is Creon happy that Haemon's fascination with Antigone seems to be fading?
8. What does the Messenger say about the grief that the queen must be feeling after the events which took place?
9. What does Haemon come to say to his father, Creon, when he learns about Antigone?
10. What does this ode praise within the story and within the story of mankind as a whole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The second section of the play is actually a recollection of the battle that took place to cause the deaths of Eteocles and Polyneices.
Part 1: Why do you think the author decided to backtrack after the opening has already been established?
Part 2: Why does the play need to describe the events which took place in the battle?
Part 3: Do you think the play would have been weakened if this second section had not been included? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The death of a brother has to be a terrifying ordeal for anyone to deal with, no matter the circumstances and the aftermath.
Part 1: Why do you think that Ismene isn't as concerned about Polyneices' burial?
Part 2: Why do you think Antigone feels so strongly that Polyneices be buried?
Part 3: Do you think Antigone was right in making the decision to bury Polynceices? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The leader of Creon is one that is recognizable in today's culture, with his strong ideas about what is right and what is wrong.
Part 1: Why do you think that Creon can be a good leader for his people?
Part 2: In what ways might Creon not be the best leader choice for his people at the current time?
Part 3: How might Creon need to change in order to become a beloved leader?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)