|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces the character of Creon to the play and to the audience who might be watching the play?
2. Antigone knows that the men will praise her for burying her brother, but fear of ________ keeps their mouths shut.
3. The king cautions against the _____________ and the power of bribery in breaking his decree.
4. Creon sees his job as for the general _____________ over personal alliances and over personal friendships.
5. What is believed to be on Ismene and Antigone as a result of Oedipus and Jocasta's actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Creon believe is secondary to the general good of the people he now rules?
2. What does Antigone believe plagues her and all her family from the grave?
3. What will happen to Polyneices' body after he was killed during the battle?
4. What does the prophet tell Creon will happen if he goes through with his actions?
5. What does Antigone have to say when Creon states that she defied the law about burying her brother?
6. What happened in the tomb of Antigone after Creon buried Polyneices properly?
7. What does Choragos have to say about Polyneices during the battle the previous day?
8. What does the Chorus speak of in relation to the recent events of the story?
9. What are Creon's ideas about loyalty when it comes to ruling the people of Thebes?
10. In relation to man and to his frailty, the Chorus brings up the evil in having what?
Essay Topic 1
Oedipus, though dead, is brought into the play as well at various times, as the curse of Antigone and of her life.
Part 1: Why do you think that the play brings the idea of Oedipus into the play?
Part 2: Do you think that someone's past can curse someone's present life? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you feel sorry for Antigone in having the past she does with Oedipus? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The death of a brother has to be a terrifying ordeal for anyone to deal with, no matter the circumstances and the aftermath.
Part 1: Why do you think that Ismene isn't as concerned about Polyneices' burial?
Part 2: Why do you think Antigone feels so strongly that Polyneices be buried?
Part 3: Do you think Antigone was right in making the decision to bury Polynceices? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The physical violence that takes place in Antigone is hard to avoid. From the beginning of the story to the end, death happens and swiftly.
Part 1: Why do you think that Antigone killed herself in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think that Haemon killed himself in the end?
Part 3: Why do you think the queen killed herself in the end?
This section contains 2,073 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)