|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who killed herself when she realized the incestuous relationship had taken place?
2. Creon believes that because of Antigone's stubbornness, she will inevitably __________.
3. The ___________ accuse each other of being the one who buried the body illegally during the play.
4. Creon shouts that the gods do not favor the ________ such as Polyneices who show them disrespect.
5. How does Creon describe Antigone after she calls him a fool during her interrogation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen to Polyneices' body after he was killed during the battle?
2. What did the guards do after Creon threatened the sentry initially after questioning him?
3. Why does Creon believe he will be seen as even more powerful than he is now?
4. What is the one force from which man is not immune, according to the Chorus in this part of the play?
5. To whom does Antigone compare her emotional state during her time before Creon?
6. What does Haemon come to say to his father, Creon, when he learns about Antigone?
7. Why was King Lycurgus, Dyras' son, imprisoned in stone, according to the Chorus in this ode?
8. What is the tone that the Chorus now takes on, which is different from the earlier tone it shared?
9. How is the water image in this stansimon depicted, which is parallel to the ode's ideas about God's wrath?
10. Why is the sentry interrogated by Choragos after he is also yelled at and threatened by Creon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of a brother has to be a terrifying ordeal for anyone to deal with, no matter the circumstances and the aftermath.
Part 1: Why do you think that Ismene isn't as concerned about Polyneices' burial?
Part 2: Why do you think Antigone feels so strongly that Polyneices be buried?
Part 3: Do you think Antigone was right in making the decision to bury Polynceices? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At various points of the story, it seems that characters already know what is to happen, even before it happens.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to have this sort of foreshadowing in a piece of literature?
Part 2: Do you think it ruins a story to hint as to what might happen in the end?
Part 3: If the characters already know what's going to happen, why don't they do anything more to stop the hands of fate?
Essay Topic 3
Death is almost its own character in this story, appearing to advance the story as it unfolds.
Part 1: Why do you think that death is the only possible sentence for Antigone's crime?
Part 2: Why do you think that some of the characters felt that death was the only way to change the outcome of the story?
Part 3: How might the play have been changed if Haemon and the queen had not killed themselves?
This section contains 2,048 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)