|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ode also points out that ___________ wrath is passed on to future generations, as seen with Antigone.
2. The Chorus celebrates the slaying of the two men to be the ultimate __________ victory.
3. The power that crosses the ____________ sea, driven by the stormy south-wind, making a path under...
4. "....the disappointment comes on one who knoweth nought till he burn his __________ against the hot fire."
5. Man is considered to be the one who has ____________ animals, according to the content of the ode.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antigone plan to do in response to the King's decree about the burial of her brother?
2. What transpired between the two brothers, according to the Chorus in the play during this scene?
3. What does Antigone have to say when Creon states that she defied the law about burying her brother?
4. What is the one force from which man is not immune, according to the Chorus in this part of the play?
5. Why did the sentry not intend to come back to speak to the king about what he knew about Antigone?
6. What does Creon believe is secondary to the general good of the people he now rules?
7. What does this ode have to say about the transference of God's wrath between generations?
8. What did the guards do after Creon threatened the sentry initially after questioning him?
9. What will happen to Polyneices' body after he was killed during the battle?
10. What does Choragos have to say about Polyneices during the battle the previous day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of a brother has to be a terrifying ordeal for anyone to deal with, no matter the circumstances and the aftermath.
Part 1: Why do you think that Ismene isn't as concerned about Polyneices' burial?
Part 2: Why do you think Antigone feels so strongly that Polyneices be buried?
Part 3: Do you think Antigone was right in making the decision to bury Polynceices? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
During the course of the play, there seem to be a number of characters who move back and forth between major characters, causing messages to be shared in directly.
Part 1: Why are the minor characters given the great tasks of sharing information with major players in the story?
Part 2: Why do you think that major characters don't speak to each other more directly during this play?
Part 3: How might the play be different if the action only focused on the major characters?
Essay Topic 3
The Chorus is something most readers are not used to seeing in a play as they might see or read in the modern times.
Part 1: Why do you think the Chorus played such an important role in Greek tragedies?
Part 2: Why is the Chorus a necessary part of the play?
Part 3: How might the play have changed if the Chorus had not been included in this play?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)