|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the guards do in order to determine who would deliver the news to Creon?
2. The Chorus in this scene is a group of singers and dancers who are meant to represent the _____________.
3. Antigone states that Creon's law will never be __________ law, which is the law Antigone believes is important.
4. Where does the Chorus state that Polyneices came from when he entered into battle?
5. What did the person who tried to bury the body use in order to start to cover Polyneices up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the punishment for Antigone if she goes against the decree of King Creon?
2. What is man said to be the Master of when the Chorus speaks of man in this section of the play?
3. What does Antigone plan to do in response to the King's decree about the burial of her brother?
4. What happened the day before the opening of the play, according to the speakers in this scene?
5. Why did the sentry not intend to come back to speak to the king about what he knew about Antigone?
6. What does Creon say about his position and his worthiness to be in such a position?
7. What will happen to Polyneices' body after he was killed during the battle?
8. What does the sentry admit to Choragos when he is being questioned about the burial?
9. What does Choragos have to say about Polyneices during the battle the previous day?
10. What is the tone that the Chorus now takes on, which is different from the earlier tone it shared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Antigone knows that she will be punished for her crimes, she admits her actions quickly and explains her intentions.
Part 1: Do you think that Antigone should have confessed for her crimes? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think others in the town feel about Antigone and the way she carried herself after being arrested?
Part 3: What do you think would have happened if Antigone had lied to Creon?
Essay Topic 2
The death of a brother has to be a terrifying ordeal for anyone to deal with, no matter the circumstances and the aftermath.
Part 1: Why do you think that Ismene isn't as concerned about Polyneices' burial?
Part 2: Why do you think Antigone feels so strongly that Polyneices be buried?
Part 3: Do you think Antigone was right in making the decision to bury Polynceices? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The physical violence that takes place in Antigone is hard to avoid. From the beginning of the story to the end, death happens and swiftly.
Part 1: Why do you think that Antigone killed herself in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think that Haemon killed himself in the end?
Part 3: Why do you think the queen killed herself in the end?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)