|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visited the princess during her imprisonment for something she could do nothing about?
2. Who is the Greek goddess of love and of beauty, according to history and to the Chorus?
(b) Helen of Troy
3. What was the result of the visitor who came to see the princess when she was locked up?
(a) She died
(b) A strong spell
(c) A curse
(d) A son
4. Who leads Teiresias into the court in order to see the King Creon and tell him some news during the play?
(b) A boy
5. Whose arrival does Choragos announce at the beginning of the scene in the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship that Haemon has with Antigone, according to the play?
2. When Choragos asks the Messenger about his depressing tone, who does the Messenger say has killed himself?
3. Creon realizes that the tragedy is surely punishment from _________ and the pain is immeasurable.
4. Creon believes that Antigone deserves nothing more than to find a husband in __________ after what she has done.
5. Haemon shares with Creon that the people see Antigone as ____________ for the actions she has taken.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the prophet tell Creon when he enters the room, led by the boy into the court?
2. What is the other story of jealousy that the Chorus relates to the audience within this ode, regarding the king and his first wife?
3. What does the Messenger have to say about fate at the start of this scene of the play?
4. What does the Messenger say about the grief that the queen must be feeling after the events which took place?
5. What does this ode praise within the story and within the story of mankind as a whole?
6. Who is the goddess of love and of beauty who the Chorus thinks also enjoys watching the foolishness of man?
7. What does Haemon come to say to his father, Creon, when he learns about Antigone?
8. What does the prophet tell Creon will happen if he goes through with his actions?
9. What does love have the power over, according to this ode in the play?
10. What does the Chorus elaborate on when it comes to love and its role in the relationship of Haemon and Creon?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)