|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads Teiresias into the court in order to see the King Creon and tell him some news during the play?
(b) A boy
2. The Chorus states that they believe Antigone to be ____________, and neither illness nor war carries her to her death.
3. When talking to Haemon, Creon insists that ____________ has no right to tell him how to rule.
(a) The Chorus
(b) The God
(d) The city
4. No ____________ can escape love, according to the Chorus within this scene.
5. What does Antigone believe that Creon should be found guilty of in relation to his reaction to her actions?
(a) Acting as a God
Short Answer Questions
1. Antigone compares her emotional state to that of the former queen of Thebes, _____________.
2. Why is Creon apt to decide that the prophet has been telling him the truth about his situation?
3. Who was cursing Creon in their final moments on earth before they killed themselves?
4. Haemon responds to Creon that his __________ is his guide and no marriage is worth losing that.
5. What is the focus of this ode in the play? What theme is being discussed during this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was King Lycurgus, Dyras' son, imprisoned in stone, according to the Chorus in this ode?
2. What does the Chorus lament in relation to Antigone's story and to the story of the princess?
3. What does Antigone ask all to see her as when she is standing in front of everyone?
4. What happened in the tomb of Antigone after Creon buried Polyneices properly?
5. What does Creon feel about prophets and what they have done to him in the past?
6. Who is the goddess of love and of beauty who the Chorus thinks also enjoys watching the foolishness of man?
7. What does the prophet tell Creon will happen if he goes through with his actions?
8. What does this ode praise within the story and within the story of mankind as a whole?
9. What does Haemon come to say to his father, Creon, when he learns about Antigone?
10. What does Creon pity in some men after talking with Haemon about their relationship?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)