|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Messenger understands that the queen's _____________ might be too great for public display.
2. What did the king discover about Antigone when he went to her vault where she was imprisoned?
(a) She was asleep
(b) She had escaped
(c) She hanged herself
(d) She was alive
3. The Chorus states that they believe Antigone to be ____________, and neither illness nor war carries her to her death.
4. Choragos tells Creon to do as the prophet tells him to do as the justice of the __________ is swift.
5. The Chorus, as a result of the story it shares, laments the powerlessness of man over _____________.
(b) The Gods
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship that Haemon has with Antigone, according to the play?
2. The Greek goddess of love much enjoys watching men's foolishness when it comes to ___________.
3. Who was with Antigone in the tomb when Creon showed up to let her go?
4. Who gave Polyneices, the son of Oedipus, a proper burial at the end of this play?
5. What is the focus of this ode in the play? What theme is being discussed during this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was King Lycurgus, Dyras' son, imprisoned in stone, according to the Chorus in this ode?
2. When did Teiresias make an offering to the gods, he tells Creon, that was then refused?
3. What does the Messenger have to say about fate at the start of this scene of the play?
4. What is the other story of jealousy that the Chorus relates to the audience within this ode, regarding the king and his first wife?
5. What is Choragos' reaction when Antigone is brought before Creon at the start of this scene?
6. What does the Chorus lament in relation to Antigone's story and to the story of the princess?
7. Who is the goddess of love and of beauty who the Chorus thinks also enjoys watching the foolishness of man?
8. Why is Creon happy that Haemon's fascination with Antigone seems to be fading?
9. What does Antigone ask all to see her as when she is standing in front of everyone?
10. What does Haemon come to say to his father, Creon, when he learns about Antigone?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)