|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Oedipus do when he realized the incestuous affair that took place with Jocasta?
(a) Try to kill Jocasta
(b) Blind himself
(c) Try to kill Antigone
(d) Kill himself
2. What does Ismene compliment Antigone on before she leaves her to herself and to her actions?
3. And ___________, and wind-swift thought, and all the moods that would a state, hath he taught himself.
4. What is the punishment for burying the body of the soldier in defiance of the decree during the play?
(a) Firing squad
5. How does Creon describe Antigone after she calls him a fool during her interrogation?
(d) Just a woman
Short Answer Questions
1. And through the future, near and far, as through the past, shall this ___________ hold good.
2. Who enters in order to announce to the king that someone has tried to cover up the body of Polyneices?
3. Creon shouts that the gods do not favor the ________ such as Polyneices who show them disrespect.
4. Choragos speaks for the Chorus as ___________, pleading for more active support from others in the city during the play.
5. Man turns the soil of the land with the offspring of ____________, according to the ode.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is man said to be the Master of when the Chorus speaks of man in this section of the play?
2. What is the status of the battle at the start of the play, ANTIGONE?
3. In relation to man and to his frailty, the Chorus brings up the evil in having what?
4. What happens to men who are happy in their evil doings, according to the Chorus in this scene?
5. What did the guards do after Creon threatened the sentry initially after questioning him?
6. Why does Creon say that Eteocles will receive a proper burial after his efforts in the battle?
7. What does Antigone plan to do in response to the King's decree about the burial of her brother?
8. What does the sentry admit to Choragos when he is being questioned about the burial?
9. To whom does this ode of the play attribute most of Antigone's problems?
10. What is the one force from which man is not immune, according to the Chorus in this part of the play?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)