|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chorus does not condone ______________ or even the entertainment of such thoughts.
(d) Women rulers
2. What does the leader of the group call Polyneices when he is in the midst of battle? A wild __________ screaming.
3. Creon sees the rights of the _____________ as different for those who are good and those who are wicked.
4. And _________, the eldest of the gods, the immortal, the unwearied, doth he wear...
(d) The Moon
5. What did the person who tried to bury the body use in order to start to cover Polyneices up?
(a) Loose dirt
(d) A blanket
Short Answer Questions
1. Ismene tries to uphold __________ law and does not believe anyone should oppose it during the play.
2. What else does the Chorus remind the audience that man is strong in?
3. The Chorus notes that even in evil doings, man can be ___________, but there are consequences to these actions.
4. What kind of image is used to show the wrath that is passed on to future generations?
5. "....the disappointment comes on one who knoweth nought till he burn his __________ against the hot fire."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Creon do in order to address the fears of the people when a new leader emerges?
2. What does Creon caution against in the support of his decree about the burial rulings for the two men?
3. Why did the sentry not intend to come back to speak to the king about what he knew about Antigone?
4. What is man said to be the Master of when the Chorus speaks of man in this section of the play?
5. What does Creon believe is secondary to the general good of the people he now rules?
6. Why does God support the Theban warriors during the battle that took place prior to the start of the play?
7. What are Antigone and Ismene commiserating about at the start of the story that drives the rest of the play?
8. What does Antigone have to say when Creon states that she defied the law about burying her brother?
9. Who informs the audience of the battle that precipitated the previous scene of the play?
10. What does Antigone plan to do in response to the King's decree about the burial of her brother?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)