|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Antigone respond when she is questioned by King Creon about her actions?
(a) She denies everything
(b) She blames Ismene
(c) She says nothing
(d) She denies nothing
2. What is not one of the animals that the Chorus notes that man can tame or master?
3. Antigone reminds Ismene of family __________ when she tries to reason with her about her actions.
4. "For when a house hath once been shaken from _____________, there the curse fails nevermore."
(a) The city
(d) The ground
5. What did Antigone sprinkle over the body of her brother after the winds picked up at midday?
Short Answer Questions
1. Creon is concerned about the people and their worries about having a ____________.
2. Man turns the soil of the land with the offspring of ____________, according to the ode.
3. Antigone claims she will be ready to face a/an _____________ death if she is caught in her actions.
4. What is the relationship between Polyneices and Antigone in this play?
5. Creon sees the rights of the _____________ as different for those who are good and those who are wicked.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antigone plan to do in response to the King's decree about the burial of her brother?
2. What does the Chorus lament in relation to Antigone's story and to the story of the princess?
3. What is the other story of jealousy that the Chorus relates to the audience within this ode, regarding the king and his first wife?
4. Why is the sentry interrogated by Choragos after he is also yelled at and threatened by Creon?
5. What is the one force from which man is not immune, according to the Chorus in this part of the play?
6. What is the status of the battle at the start of the play, ANTIGONE?
7. What does Creon caution against in the support of his decree about the burial rulings for the two men?
8. To whom does this ode of the play attribute most of Antigone's problems?
9. What does the Chorus speak of in relation to the recent events of the story?
10. Why does the Messenger answer the queen, Eurydice, with honesty rather than with lies?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)