|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The king cautions against the _____________ and the power of bribery in breaking his decree.
2. Creon argues that ______________ would be insulted that Antigone decided to bury the body of Polyneices.
3. Who answered the battle cry of Polyneices in the battle where he finally lost his life?
(a) Julius Caesar
4. Who is Choragos trying to get more active support from, pleading for this support as the Chorus would?
(b) Surrounding cities
(c) Younger residents
(d) Older men
5. Who was the captive of the Sentry, the person for which the Sentry was responsible during the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. The two men of cruel fate were born of one _____________ and one mother, according to the Chorus.
2. The Chorus celebrates the slaying of the two men to be the ultimate __________ victory.
3. To what place does Creon believe that Antigone will go after her death for her actions?
4. Man turns the soil of the land with the offspring of ____________, according to the ode.
5. Creon shares that he will not show any ___________ in his rule nor will he patronize anyone.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who informs the audience of the battle that precipitated the previous scene of the play?
2. Why does God support the Theban warriors during the battle that took place prior to the start of the play?
3. Why does Creon believe he will be seen as even more powerful than he is now?
4. What is the other story of jealousy that the Chorus relates to the audience within this ode, regarding the king and his first wife?
5. What are Antigone and Ismene commiserating about at the start of the story that drives the rest of the play?
6. What happened the day before the opening of the play, according to the speakers in this scene?
7. What does the Messenger say about the grief that the queen must be feeling after the events which took place?
8. Why does the Messenger answer the queen, Eurydice, with honesty rather than with lies?
9. When did Teiresias make an offering to the gods, he tells Creon, that was then refused?
10. What does Creon caution against in the support of his decree about the burial rulings for the two men?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)