|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Creon gives ____________ to anyone who contradicts the king's wishes concerning the burial during the play.
(b) More taxes
(c) No support
2. Who killed herself when she realized the incestuous relationship had taken place?
3. What is the other name for God that is used by the Chorus in this scene of the play and throughout the play?
4. But some god strikes them down, and the race hath no __________________, according to the Chorus.
5. What is not one of the animals that the Chorus notes that man can tame or master?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many gates does Thebes have, according to the Chorus in this scene?
2. What does the Sentry say that Creon should do with Antigone now that she is before him?
3. What was Antigone doing to the body of her brother when the guards rushed up to stop her?
4. At what time of day does the story taking place in the play begin?
5. For that hope whose wanderings are so __________ is to many men a comfort, according to the Chorus.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the day before the opening of the play, according to the speakers in this scene?
2. What does Creon do in order to address the fears of the people when a new leader emerges?
3. Why is the sentry interrogated by Choragos after he is also yelled at and threatened by Creon?
4. What are Creon's ideas about loyalty when it comes to ruling the people of Thebes?
5. What does the decree of King Creon have to say about the burial of Antigone and Ismene's brothers?
6. What does Creon caution against in the support of his decree about the burial rulings for the two men?
7. What are Antigone and Ismene commiserating about at the start of the story that drives the rest of the play?
8. What does Antigone have to say when Creon states that she defied the law about burying her brother?
9. What does Creon believe is secondary to the general good of the people he now rules?
10. What is the tone that the Chorus now takes on, which is different from the earlier tone it shared?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)