|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Eteocles and Polyneices in the play, even though they fight each other?
(d) Father and son
2. And _________, the eldest of the gods, the immortal, the unwearied, doth he wear...
(a) The Moon
3. What is the other name for God that is used by the Chorus in this scene of the play and throughout the play?
4. Who interrogates the Sentry when he reveals the person who is responsible for burying the body?
(a) The prophet
5. How many captains were at the gates and were matched again during the battle?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus goes on to celebrate man as the ____________ of all beasts in the world during the play.
2. Creon shares that he will not show any ___________ in his rule nor will he patronize anyone.
3. The Chorus also speaks of the orderliness of kept __________ within a society during the play.
4. What was Antigone doing to the body of her brother when the guards rushed up to stop her?
5. Whose body is to be left out to be pecked and torn apart, without a proper military burial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Antigone and Ismene commiserating about at the start of the story that drives the rest of the play?
2. What does Creon caution against in the support of his decree about the burial rulings for the two men?
3. What is the tone that the Chorus now takes on, which is different from the earlier tone it shared?
4. What is man said to be the Master of when the Chorus speaks of man in this section of the play?
5. What does Creon do in order to address the fears of the people when a new leader emerges?
6. What happened the day before the opening of the play, according to the speakers in this scene?
7. What does Creon say about his position and his worthiness to be in such a position?
8. What does the decree of King Creon have to say about the burial of Antigone and Ismene's brothers?
9. What did the guards do after Creon threatened the sentry initially after questioning him?
10. No matter the vicissitudes of life, what does the Chorus say man is held in?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)