|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Choragos speaks for the Chorus as ___________, pleading for more active support from others in the city during the play.
2. Thy power, O __________, what human trespass can limit? - the Chorus in this ode during the play.
3. Creon argues that ______________ would be insulted that Antigone decided to bury the body of Polyneices.
4. Who is afraid of Creon's wrath and of breaking the law, even though it would be an honorable action?
5. What is the relationship between Polyneices and Antigone in this play?
(b) Brother and sister
(c) Nephew and Aunt
(d) Son and mother
Short Answer Questions
1. The power that crosses the ____________ sea, driven by the stormy south-wind, making a path under...
2. Who does the Sentry admit is responsible for the burying of Polyneices?
3. What was Antigone doing to the body of her brother when the guards rushed up to stop her?
4. The Chorus notes that it can see that generation is not ____________ by generation during the play.
5. Creon lets the people know that his position is __________ ordained and thus he is the rightful heir.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this ode have to say about the transference of God's wrath between generations?
2. What is the one force from which man is not immune, according to the Chorus in this part of the play?
3. What transpired between the two brothers, according to the Chorus in the play during this scene?
4. What happened the day before the opening of the play, according to the speakers in this scene?
5. What does the Chorus say about man and about his position in the universe?
6. What does the Chorus speak of in relation to the recent events of the story?
7. What does Creon do in order to address the fears of the people when a new leader emerges?
8. Why did the sentry not intend to come back to speak to the king about what he knew about Antigone?
9. What does Creon caution against in the support of his decree about the burial rulings for the two men?
10. Who informs the audience of the battle that precipitated the previous scene of the play?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)