|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was King Lycurgus imprisoned for offending a certain goddesses who preside over the people?
(a) In stone
(b) The river
(c) A basket
(d) A castle
2. Haemon shares with Creon that the people see Antigone as ____________ for the actions she has taken.
3. The Chorus compares Antigone to ___________, a princess who was imprisoned for an act she might commit.
4. No ____________ can escape love, according to the Chorus within this scene.
5. What is the handicap of Teiresias, the prophet, who comes to speak to Creon during the play?
(c) One leg
6. Who does Creon feel have always manipulated him, which is a sign of his own self pity for his situation?
(c) The Gods
(d) The prophets
7. The goddesses that King Lycurgus offended were NOT the goddesses who looked over ______________.
8. Haemon tells his father than ____________ has nothing to do with being right or wrong.
9. When Choragos asks the Messenger about his depressing tone, who does the Messenger say has killed himself?
(a) The prophet
(b) The sentry
10. Creon believes there is no greater evil than _____________ for that is what destroys households and nations.
11. Antigone agrees that her father's ______________ guilt plagues all her family from the grave.
12. Why is Creon apt to decide that the prophet has been telling him the truth about his situation?
(a) He sees a sign from Zeus
(b) The prophet has never been wrong
(c) He is too tired to argue
(d) He is getting pressure from the Chorus too
13. When talking to Haemon, Creon insists that ____________ has no right to tell him how to rule.
(a) The Chorus
(b) The God
(c) The city
14. The prophet tells Creon he has kept Polyneices from ____________ and buried Antigone alive.
(a) His family
(b) The truth
(c) The gods
(d) His sister
15. Who is the Greek goddess of love and of beauty, according to history and to the Chorus?
(a) Helen of Troy
Short Answer Questions
1. Antigone asks that all see her as a woman about to die, a woman who will never ____________.
2. Choragos tells Creon that the gods are ___________ to him now during the play.
3. Haemon points out to his father that the citizens of the city do not see Antigone as a ______________.
4. Who goes to free Antigone and to bury Polyneices as the prophet said should be done?
5. Should the proud have survived to old age, notes Choragos, they will have learned to be _________.
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)