|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Haemon tells his father than ____________ has nothing to do with being right or wrong.
2. The prophet tells Creon he has kept Polyneices from ____________ and buried Antigone alive.
(a) His sister
(b) His family
(c) The truth
(d) The gods
3. Where was King Lycurgus imprisoned for offending a certain goddesses who preside over the people?
(a) A basket
(b) In stone
(c) The river
(d) A castle
4. Creon believes that Antigone would have been trouble for Haemon both in and out of _________.
(a) Their home
(c) The war
(d) His sight
5. What is the focus of this ode in the play? What theme is being discussed during this section?
6. The Chorus notes that even the powerful are not immune to ___________, as the wife could not let go of her sadness
7. Creon is told by ______________ that trees and ships yield to the destructive nature of floods.
8. The goddesses that King Lycurgus offended were NOT the goddesses who looked over ______________.
9. Who goes to free Antigone and to bury Polyneices as the prophet said should be done?
(a) The boy
10. Who is the Greek goddess of love and of beauty, according to history and to the Chorus?
(c) Helen of Troy
11. Haemon tells Creon, "It is not __________ never to yield to reason!" within their discussion of Antigone.
12. What is Antigone's sentence as handed down by Creon as a result of her actions in burying the body?
(a) Death by poison
(b) Death by starvation
(c) Death by stoning
(d) Death by hanging
13. What is Choragos no longer able to distance himself from when Antigone arrives in the room?
(b) Her death
(c) Her beauty
(d) Haemon's will
14. Haemon responds to Creon that his __________ is his guide and no marriage is worth losing that.
15. Who was with Antigone in the tomb when Creon showed up to let her go?
(d) The prophet
Short Answer Questions
1. If you are to be weak in your allegiances, Creon says, make it to a ____________.
2. Haemon shares with Creon that the people see Antigone as ____________ for the actions she has taken.
3. Even though the king might have everything in life a powerful man might want, without __________ he has nothing coveted by others.
4. When talking to Haemon, Creon insists that ____________ has no right to tell him how to rule.
5. Antigone compares her emotional state to that of the former queen of Thebes, _____________.
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)