|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the king discover about Antigone when he went to her vault where she was imprisoned?
(a) She had escaped
(b) She was asleep
(c) She was alive
(d) She hanged herself
2. What was the result of the visitor who came to see the princess when she was locked up?
(a) A son
(b) A curse
(c) A strong spell
(d) She died
3. Why is Creon apt to decide that the prophet has been telling him the truth about his situation?
(a) He is too tired to argue
(b) The prophet has never been wrong
(c) He is getting pressure from the Chorus too
(d) He sees a sign from Zeus
4. When Choragos asks the Messenger about his depressing tone, who does the Messenger say has killed himself?
(a) The prophet
(c) The sentry
5. Even though the king might have everything in life a powerful man might want, without __________ he has nothing coveted by others.
6. Haemon points out to his father that the citizens of the city do not see Antigone as a ______________.
7. Antigone asks that all see her as a woman about to die, a woman who will never ____________.
(b) See her sister again
(c) Laugh again
8. Where is Antigone led to after she has been given her sentence by Creon, the King?
(a) The vault
(b) A platform
(c) The fields
(d) The bathroom
9. The prophet cautions Creon and the actions he has taken, saying that he is on the edge of __________.
10. _____________ starts to tear up at the sight of Antigone being led into the room during the play.
11. The Chorus states that they believe Antigone to be ____________, and neither illness nor war carries her to her death.
12. The Chorus notes that even the powerful are not immune to ___________, as the wife could not let go of her sadness
13. Who was the son supposed to kill as a result of a prophesy that was given?
(a) His uncle
(b) His father
(c) His brother
(d) His cousin
14. What happened to the offering that the prophet made to the gods after the prophet heard strange sounds?
(a) It disappeared
(b) It was accepted
(c) It was given back to him as an offering
(d) It was refused
15. Creon is told by ______________ that trees and ships yield to the destructive nature of floods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Should the proud have survived to old age, notes Choragos, they will have learned to be _________.
2. The prophet tells Creon to _______________ and to rescind his proclamation.
3. Love keepest the vigil on the soft cheek of a ____________, according to the Chorus in this section during the play.
4. Creon realizes that the tragedy is surely punishment from _________ and the pain is immeasurable.
5. Who gave Polyneices, the son of Oedipus, a proper burial at the end of this play?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)