|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once offended, the Chorus states, gods and goddesses are without ____________ for the offending party.
2. The Messenger understands that the queen's _____________ might be too great for public display.
3. _____________ starts to tear up at the sight of Antigone being led into the room during the play.
4. The goddesses that King Lycurgus offended were NOT the goddesses who looked over ______________.
5. What was the result of the visitor who came to see the princess when she was locked up?
(a) A curse
(b) A son
(c) She died
(d) A strong spell
6. Antigone agrees that her father's ______________ guilt plagues all her family from the grave.
7. Who goes to free Antigone and to bury Polyneices as the prophet said should be done?
(b) The boy
8. The Chorus, as a result of the story it shares, laments the powerlessness of man over _____________.
(a) The Gods
9. No ____________ can escape love, according to the Chorus within this scene.
10. What did the king discover about Antigone when he went to her vault where she was imprisoned?
(a) She had escaped
(b) She hanged herself
(c) She was alive
(d) She was asleep
11. What is the handicap of Teiresias, the prophet, who comes to speak to Creon during the play?
(c) One leg
12. The Chorus assures Antigone in her situation that she will have a peaceful ___________.
13. Haemon shares with Creon that the people see Antigone as ____________ for the actions she has taken.
14. Who does the new wife blind after the king imprisons the person as answered in #153?
(a) Her husband's two sons
(c) Her husband's daughter
(d) Her husband's first wife
15. What is Antigone's sentence as handed down by Creon as a result of her actions in burying the body?
(a) Death by hanging
(b) Death by stoning
(c) Death by starvation
(d) Death by poison
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Creon apt to decide that the prophet has been telling him the truth about his situation?
2. Creon believes that Antigone would have been trouble for Haemon both in and out of _________.
3. The prophet tells Creon he has kept Polyneices from ____________ and buried Antigone alive.
4. Who gave Polyneices, the son of Oedipus, a proper burial at the end of this play?
5. What is the focus of this ode in the play? What theme is being discussed during this section?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)