|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose decree proclaims that the body of the fallen man is not to be buried by anyone under punishment of death?
2. What else does the Chorus remind the audience that man is strong in?
3. Who answered the battle cry of Polyneices in the battle where he finally lost his life?
(d) Julius Caesar
4. The ode implies that the woes of Antigone are directly related to her _____________, Oedipus.
5. Man has even taught himself, according to the Chorus, to flee the arrows of the ____________.
6. The ___________ accuse each other of being the one who buried the body illegally during the play.
7. That _______, in turn, in brought low -- by the blood-stained dust die to the gods infernal.
8. What is the walled city that is featured in the actions of this story and drama?
9. What is the punishment for burying the body of the soldier in defiance of the decree during the play?
(a) Firing squad
10. Ismene feels powerless as a __________ at the start of the story, in addition to her family background.
11. Creon lets the people know that his position is __________ ordained and thus he is the rightful heir.
12. The ode also points out that ___________ wrath is passed on to future generations, as seen with Antigone.
(a) The world's
(b) A woman's
13. Man is held in _________ for his stamina and his spirit, no matter what other things he might do.
14. What did Antigone sprinkle over the body of her brother after the winds picked up at midday?
15. What army decided to attack Thebes, though they were driven back during their efforts during the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. But some god strikes them down, and the race hath no __________________, according to the Chorus.
2. Polyneices led the attack on his _____________ during that final battle before the play starts.
3. Who slew Polyneices during that final battle that caused him to be left without a proper burial?
4. What is the relationship between Polyneices and Antigone in this play?
5. Whose body is to be left out to be pecked and torn apart, without a proper military burial?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)