|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who informs the audience of the previous battle during this scene of the play?
(a) The sentry
(b) The Chorus
(d) The Messenger
2. Who returns to talk to Creon after he has been yelled at and threatened by Creon for speaking with him before?
3. The Chorus goes on to celebrate man as the ____________ of all beasts in the world during the play.
4. Man turns the soil of the land with the offspring of ____________, according to the ode.
5. The Chorus points out the evil that is in _________ especially in relation to the situation with Antigone and Creon.
6. What is the relationship between Antigone and Ismene, the two women at the start of the story?
7. Creon understands the problems of ______, yet elicits duty from them in their support of his decree.
8. What kind of image is used to show the wrath that is passed on to future generations?
9. Who interrogates the Sentry when he reveals the person who is responsible for burying the body?
(a) The prophet
10. What does the Sentry say that Creon should do with Antigone now that she is before him?
(a) Forgive her
(b) Kill her
(d) Interrogate her
11. Who is afraid of Creon's wrath and of breaking the law, even though it would be an honorable action?
12. _____________ are many, and none is more important than man.
13. Thy power, O __________, what human trespass can limit? - the Chorus in this ode during the play.
14. Creon realizes he still needs to prove his worth to the people as a _____________.
15. Creon argues that ______________ would be insulted that Antigone decided to bury the body of Polyneices.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters in order to announce to the king that someone has tried to cover up the body of Polyneices?
2. Creon lets the people know that his position is __________ ordained and thus he is the rightful heir.
3. How many gates does Thebes have, according to the Chorus in this scene?
4. What did Oedipus do when he realized the incestuous affair that took place with Jocasta?
5. What is the relationship between Polyneices and Antigone in this play?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)