|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Man turns the soil of the land with the offspring of ____________, according to the ode.
2. What kind of image is used to show the wrath that is passed on to future generations?
3. The Chorus goes on to celebrate man as the ____________ of all beasts in the world during the play.
4. And ___________, and wind-swift thought, and all the moods that would a state, hath he taught himself.
5. What is the new tone of this group of citizens that is now speaking to the audience?
6. What was Antigone doing to the body of her brother when the guards rushed up to stop her?
(a) Burning it
(b) Anointing it
(d) Singing to it
7. What else does the Chorus remind the audience that man is strong in?
8. The Chorus notes that even in evil doings, man can be ___________, but there are consequences to these actions.
9. And through the future, near and far, as through the past, shall this ___________ hold good.
10. What did the guards do in order to determine who would deliver the news to Creon?
(b) Drew straws
(c) Drew swords
(d) Threw dice
11. Creon shouts that the gods do not favor the ________ such as Polyneices who show them disrespect.
12. Creon gives ____________ to anyone who contradicts the king's wishes concerning the burial during the play.
(c) More taxes
(d) No support
13. Ismene tries to uphold __________ law and does not believe anyone should oppose it during the play.
14. Eventually those who are evil will have to face truth and ______________ for their deeds.
15. What is the punishment for burying the body of the soldier in defiance of the decree during the play?
(c) Firing squad
Short Answer Questions
1. And _________, the eldest of the gods, the immortal, the unwearied, doth he wear...
2. "....the disappointment comes on one who knoweth nought till he burn his __________ against the hot fire."
3. Creon realizes he still needs to prove his worth to the people as a _____________.
4. The Chorus celebrates the slaying of the two men to be the ultimate __________ victory.
5. What does Antigone throw back in Ismene's face when Ismene says she will be silent about the actions?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)