|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chorus does not condone ______________ or even the entertainment of such thoughts.
(d) Women rulers
2. Creon sees the rights of the _____________ as different for those who are good and those who are wicked.
3. The ode also points out that ___________ wrath is passed on to future generations, as seen with Antigone.
(a) The world's
(b) A woman's
4. What did the guards do in order to determine who would deliver the news to Creon?
(a) Drew straws
(b) Threw dice
(c) Drew swords
5. Antigone points out to Creon that she is aware that __________ is inevitable for her, both now and in the future.
6. Who answered the battle cry of Polyneices in the battle where he finally lost his life?
(c) Julius Caesar
7. What were Polyneices' jaws filled with, according to the speeches of the Chorus in this scene?
(a) Our gore
8. _____________ are many, and none is more important than man.
9. What happened at midday when the guards were watching the body that was not supposed to be buried?
(a) It began to storm
(b) A fog rolled in
(c) It grew dark
(d) The sun began to shine brighter
10. What is the walled city that is featured in the actions of this story and drama?
11. What is believed to be on Ismene and Antigone as a result of Oedipus and Jocasta's actions?
(b) Genetic disease
(d) A burden of making things right
12. Without ______________, he meets nothing that must come; only against Death shall he call for aid in vain.
(d) A woman
13. How many gates does Thebes have, according to the Chorus in this scene?
14. What does Ismene swear to Antigone when she hears of Antigone's decision to act?
(b) That she will help her
(c) That she will not support her
(d) To tell Creon
15. Antigone states that Creon's law will never be __________ law, which is the law Antigone believes is important.
Short Answer Questions
1. Man is held in _________ for his stamina and his spirit, no matter what other things he might do.
2. The two men of cruel fate were born of one _____________ and one mother, according to the Chorus.
3. What is the new tone of this group of citizens that is now speaking to the audience?
4. The Chorus notes that it can see that generation is not ____________ by generation during the play.
5. What does the Sentry say that Creon should do with Antigone now that she is before him?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)