|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose decree proclaims that the body of the fallen man is not to be buried by anyone under punishment of death?
2. Antigone reminds Ismene of family __________ when she tries to reason with her about her actions.
3. Thy power, O __________, what human trespass can limit? - the Chorus in this ode during the play.
4. What army decided to attack Thebes, though they were driven back during their efforts during the play?
5. What is the punishment for burying the body of the soldier in defiance of the decree during the play?
(a) Firing squad
6. Man is the most awesome wonder in the _____________, according to the Chorus during the play.
(c) God's realm
7. The Chorus also speaks of the orderliness of kept __________ within a society during the play.
8. Polyneices led the attack on his _____________ during that final battle before the play starts.
(a) Father's grave
(c) Sister's home
(d) Own home
9. Who answered the battle cry of Polyneices in the battle where he finally lost his life?
(d) Julius Caesar
10. Who informs the audience of the previous battle during this scene of the play?
(b) The sentry
(c) The Messenger
(d) The Chorus
11. The Chorus points out the evil that is in _________ especially in relation to the situation with Antigone and Creon.
12. What kind of image is used to show the wrath that is passed on to future generations?
13. Choragos speaks for the Chorus as ___________, pleading for more active support from others in the city during the play.
14. What is the relationship between Polyneices and Antigone in this play?
(a) Nephew and Aunt
(b) Brother and sister
(d) Son and mother
15. "For when a house hath once been shaken from _____________, there the curse fails nevermore."
(b) The city
(d) The ground
Short Answer Questions
1. Creon sees his job as for the general _____________ over personal alliances and over personal friendships.
2. What is the one force from which the Chorus notes that man is not immune?
3. What does the Sentry say that Creon should do with Antigone now that she is before him?
4. Antigone points out to Creon that she is aware that __________ is inevitable for her, both now and in the future.
5. At what time of day does the story taking place in the play begin?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)