|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Chorus state that Polyneices came from when he entered into battle?
2. To what place does Creon believe that Antigone will go after her death for her actions?
(c) Mount Olympus
3. Creon is concerned about the people and their worries about having a ____________.
(a) Public hanging
(b) New leader
(d) Public stoning
4. What is believed to be on Ismene and Antigone as a result of Oedipus and Jocasta's actions?
(b) Genetic disease
(c) A burden of making things right
5. Creon acknowledges that __________ is not transferable from one leader to the next. He must earn it.
6. "....the disappointment comes on one who knoweth nought till he burn his __________ against the hot fire."
7. Man is held in _________ for his stamina and his spirit, no matter what other things he might do.
8. _________ supported the Thebans as he does not support the proud, like Polyneices and his army.
9. What is the relationship between Antigone and Ismene, the two women at the start of the story?
10. What happened at midday when the guards were watching the body that was not supposed to be buried?
(a) The sun began to shine brighter
(b) It grew dark
(c) A fog rolled in
(d) It began to storm
11. The Chorus goes on to celebrate man as the ____________ of all beasts in the world during the play.
12. Creon shouts that the gods do not favor the ________ such as Polyneices who show them disrespect.
13. But some god strikes them down, and the race hath no __________________, according to the Chorus.
14. The king cautions against the _____________ and the power of bribery in breaking his decree.
15. Thy power, O __________, what human trespass can limit? - the Chorus in this ode during the play.
Short Answer Questions
1. Creon sees the rights of the _____________ as different for those who are good and those who are wicked.
2. Whose decree proclaims that the body of the fallen man is not to be buried by anyone under punishment of death?
3. What did the guards do in order to determine who would deliver the news to Creon?
4. The ode also points out that ___________ wrath is passed on to future generations, as seen with Antigone.
5. What does Ismene swear to Antigone when she hears of Antigone's decision to act?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)