|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. That __________ which neither sleep, the all-ensnaring, not the untiring months of the gods can master.
2. Who introduces the character of Creon to the play and to the audience who might be watching the play?
3. The two men of cruel fate were born of one _____________ and one mother, according to the Chorus.
4. Creon says that Ismene should also be put to death as she is guilty of ____________ in the burial.
5. The Chorus notes that even in evil doings, man can be ___________, but there are consequences to these actions.
6. Antigone knows that the men will praise her for burying her brother, but fear of ________ keeps their mouths shut.
7. What did the guards do in order to determine who would deliver the news to Creon?
(b) Drew swords
(c) Threw dice
(d) Drew straws
8. But some god strikes them down, and the race hath no __________________, according to the Chorus.
9. Who slew Polyneices during that final battle that caused him to be left without a proper burial?
10. Choragos speaks for the Chorus as ___________, pleading for more active support from others in the city during the play.
11. Whose decree proclaims that the body of the fallen man is not to be buried by anyone under punishment of death?
12. The Chorus celebrates the slaying of the two men to be the ultimate __________ victory.
13. Antigone states that Creon's law will never be __________ law, which is the law Antigone believes is important.
14. Antigone reminds Ismene of family __________ when she tries to reason with her about her actions.
15. How does Antigone respond when she is questioned by King Creon about her actions?
(a) She denies nothing
(b) She denies everything
(c) She blames Ismene
(d) She says nothing
Short Answer Questions
1. Man also is the one who protects himself from the ____________, according to the content of the ode.
2. Nothing that is cast enters into the life of mortals without a ____________, according to the Chorus.
3. _________ supported the Thebans as he does not support the proud, like Polyneices and his army.
4. Who is the leader of the group who is telling the story within this section of the play?
5. "....the disappointment comes on one who knoweth nought till he burn his __________ against the hot fire."
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)