|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Antigone respond when she is questioned by King Creon about her actions?
(a) She blames Ismene
(b) She denies everything
(c) She denies nothing
(d) She says nothing
2. Creon realizes he still needs to prove his worth to the people as a _____________.
3. "For when a house hath once been shaken from _____________, there the curse fails nevermore."
(c) The ground
(d) The city
4. Who introduces the character of Creon to the play and to the audience who might be watching the play?
5. How many captains were at the gates and were matched again during the battle?
6. Where does the Chorus state that Polyneices came from when he entered into battle?
7. What is the relationship between Polyneices and Antigone in this play?
(a) Nephew and Aunt
(b) Brother and sister
(c) Son and mother
8. Man is held in _________ for his stamina and his spirit, no matter what other things he might do.
9. What did Antigone sprinkle over the body of her brother after the winds picked up at midday?
10. What was Antigone doing to the body of her brother when the guards rushed up to stop her?
(a) Singing to it
(b) Anointing it
(c) Burning it
11. How does Creon describe Antigone after she calls him a fool during her interrogation?
(c) Just a woman
12. Nothing that is cast enters into the life of mortals without a ____________, according to the Chorus.
13. The two men of cruel fate were born of one _____________ and one mother, according to the Chorus.
14. What did the person who tried to bury the body use in order to start to cover Polyneices up?
(a) A blanket
(d) Loose dirt
15. What is the new tone of this group of citizens that is now speaking to the audience?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus goes on to celebrate man as the ____________ of all beasts in the world during the play.
2. That __________ which neither sleep, the all-ensnaring, not the untiring months of the gods can master.
3. What did the guards do in order to determine who would deliver the news to Creon?
4. Who interrogates the Sentry when he reveals the person who is responsible for burying the body?
5. Creon acknowledges that __________ is not transferable from one leader to the next. He must earn it.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)