|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jones summoned to see on this miserable morning?
2. What does Jones say he did with Mr. Appleton's business card?
3. What religion does Kate's husband practice?
4. Jones is bullied by Miss Self into going on an appointment with whom?
5. What is Jackie Kennedy's sister's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
2. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
3. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
4. Why does Jones mention Florie Rotondo during the low moments at the end of this chapter?
5. What leads Jones into discussing a party held in Montgomery Clift's honor?
6. How do Jones' strong feelings for Kate prompt him to think that he might be in over his head?
7. How does the author blur the line between reality and fiction regarding Barbara Hutton?
8. Why does the reader have a feeling of incompleteness while reading this book?
9. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
10. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using people take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Denham Fouts. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Capote use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)