|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What recent advice has Kate received regarding her son?
2. What religion does Kate's husband practice?
3. Which city does Jones talk about for its intensity?
4. Two cowboys agree that it takes _____________ to get a day started well.
5. Who does Jones call "The Black Duchess"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Appleton and what is his relationship to Jones?
2. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
3. What celebrities does the author name outright in this chapter and who are mildly disguised?
4. What leads Jones into discussing a party held in Montgomery Clift's honor?
5. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
6. What impact did the publication of this work have on Capote's life?
7. How do Jones' strong feelings for Kate prompt him to think that he might be in over his head?
8. Who is Aces Nelson and how does Jones meet him?
9. Why does the reader have a feeling of incompleteness while reading this book?
10. How does the author blur the line between reality and fiction regarding Barbara Hutton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Capote is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of P.B. Jones. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)