|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts Jones to call the person in #114 at such an early hour?
2. What does Jones say he did with Mr. Appleton's business card?
3. What is Kate McCloud's nationality?
4. Lady Ina's character is a thinly veiled portrait of __________________.
5. What nationality is Kate's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact did the publication of this work have on Capote's life?
2. How does the author blur the line between reality and fiction regarding Barbara Hutton?
3. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
4. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
5. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
6. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
7. How do Jones' strong feelings for Kate prompt him to think that he might be in over his head?
8. What celebrities does the author name outright in this chapter and who are mildly disguised?
9. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
10. What information does Aces reveal to Jones about Axel Jaeger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Capote use the literary technique of local color in ANSWERED PRAYERS? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in some establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)