|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jones summoned to see on this miserable morning?
2. What is Mutt's other name?
3. What beverage does the person in #146 order at lunch?
4. At what restaurant does Jones dine with the person in #146?
5. Jones' dining companion says that the British Royal Family is racist and _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jones mention Florie Rotondo during the low moments at the end of this chapter?
2. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
3. What information does Jones need before he feels he can respond to Kate's job offer?
4. How is the theme of fame and fortune exhibited in this chapter?
5. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
6. What celebrities does the author name outright in this chapter and who are mildly disguised?
7. Why does Miss Self summon Jones to a meeting and why is she willing to forgo her business tenet of no socialization of employees with clients outside business appointments?
8. What is Kate McCloud's life history?
9. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
10. What information does Aces reveal to Jones about Axel Jaeger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Capote use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Appleton What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)