|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arranges for Kate's husband to be committed to an asylum?
2. In what country is the city in #92 located?
3. What is Mutt's other name?
4. Jones later has a dream that he and Kate are ____________________.
5. In what city was Kate McCloud staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
2. Why does Jones mention Florie Rotondo during the low moments at the end of this chapter?
3. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
4. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
5. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
6. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
7. What information does Aces reveal to Jones about Axel Jaeger?
8. What were the perceptions among Capote's real life friends upon the publication of this fictional work?
9. How is the theme of fame and fortune exhibited in this chapter?
10. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Capote's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
Using people take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)