|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jones' dining companion says that the British Royal Family is racist and _________________.
2. For what has Mr. Appleton requested Jones' company?
3. At what restaurant does Jones dine with the person in #146?
4. What does Jones want to find at the center of the earth?
5. Two cowboys agree that it takes _____________ to get a day started well.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the reader have a feeling of incompleteness while reading this book?
2. Why does the author again resort to heavy name dropping in this chapter?
3. What celebrities does the author name outright in this chapter and who are mildly disguised?
4. What leads Jones into discussing a party held in Montgomery Clift's honor?
5. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
6. Who is Aces Nelson and how does Jones meet him?
7. What information does Jones need before he feels he can respond to Kate's job offer?
8. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
9. Who is Mr. Appleton and what is his relationship to Jones?
10. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of P.B. Jones. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Capote use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)