|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jones shout at on the street?
2. In what city was Kate McCloud staying?
3. What is Mutt's other name?
4. Who is Kate's husband?
5. Who is Jones summoned to see on this miserable morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the reader have a feeling of incompleteness while reading this book?
2. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
3. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
4. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
5. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
6. What leads Jones into discussing a party held in Montgomery Clift's honor?
7. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
8. What are three of the book's motifs that make an appearance in this chapter?
9. Why does Jones mention Florie Rotondo during the low moments at the end of this chapter?
10. How do Jones' strong feelings for Kate prompt him to think that he might be in over his head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jones. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Jones' background? Does he spend much of his time trying to rid himself of his past? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Capote use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some potential instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain why each has potential for foreshadowing had the book been completed.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)