|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jones later has a dream that he and Kate are ____________________.
2. Who else appears in Jones' dream?
3. With whom does Jones have lunch in this chapter?
4. How much time has passed since Jones' last entry?
5. What rule does Miss Self remind Jones of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
2. Why does Jones mention Florie Rotondo during the low moments at the end of this chapter?
3. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
4. What information does Aces reveal to Jones about Axel Jaeger?
5. What celebrities does the author name outright in this chapter and who are mildly disguised?
6. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
7. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
8. What is Kate McCloud's life history?
9. Why does the reader have a feeling of incompleteness while reading this book?
10. What leads Jones into discussing a party held in Montgomery Clift's honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Capote uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe New York City using only your recall of Capote's descriptions. How do you visualize the city of New York City now that you have read Capote's ANSWERED PRAYERS?
Essay Topic 2
Jones spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)