|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what hotel does Aces reveal Kate McCloud's story to Jones?
2. What does Jones do for Kate in her hotel suite?
3. What rule does Miss Self remind Jones of?
4. Jones' dining companion says that the British Royal Family is racist and _________________.
5. Jones' dining companion tells a sexy story about a man named _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
2. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
3. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
4. What were the perceptions among Capote's real life friends upon the publication of this fictional work?
5. What leads Jones into discussing a party held in Montgomery Clift's honor?
6. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
7. How does the author blur the line between reality and fiction regarding Barbara Hutton?
8. Why does the author again resort to heavy name dropping in this chapter?
9. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
10. Why does Miss Self summon Jones to a meeting and why is she willing to forgo her business tenet of no socialization of employees with clients outside business appointments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Capote use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)