|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aces decide to introduce Jones to Kate?
2. The character of Cole is intended to be __________________.
3. Where does Jones go in this chapter?
4. Who is Kate's husband?
5. What is Mutt's other name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the perceptions among Capote's real life friends upon the publication of this fictional work?
2. How is the theme of fame and fortune exhibited in this chapter?
3. Why does the author again resort to heavy name dropping in this chapter?
4. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
5. How does the author plant the question of truth versus illusion especially regarding Aces' explanation of Kate's life for Jones?
6. What leads Jones into discussing a party held in Montgomery Clift's honor?
7. Why does Jones mention Florie Rotondo during the low moments at the end of this chapter?
8. What celebrities does the author name outright in this chapter and who are mildly disguised?
9. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
10. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jones. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Jones' background? Does he spend much of his time trying to rid himself of his past? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)