|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Jones bid a silent goodnight as he heads home?
2. What does Kate's husband do when he thinks she spends too much time riding her horse?
3. Who is Jones summoned to see on this miserable morning?
4. What is Kate McCloud's nationality?
5. Who accompanies Jones and Aces to Kate McCloud's hotel suite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three of the book's motifs that make an appearance in this chapter?
2. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
3. Why does Jones mention Florie Rotondo during the low moments at the end of this chapter?
4. How is the theme of fame and fortune exhibited in this chapter?
5. Why does the reader have a feeling of incompleteness while reading this book?
6. Why does Miss Self summon Jones to a meeting and why is she willing to forgo her business tenet of no socialization of employees with clients outside business appointments?
7. What information does Jones need before he feels he can respond to Kate's job offer?
8. What information does Aces reveal to Jones about Axel Jaeger?
9. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
10. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Capote use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 3
Jones spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)