|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Kate's husband practice?
2. What prompts Jones to call the person in #114 at such an early hour?
3. What is Mutt's other name?
4. How much time has passed since Jones' last entry?
5. Why does Aces decide to introduce Jones to Kate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jones' strong feelings for Kate prompt him to think that he might be in over his head?
2. Who is Aces Nelson and how does Jones meet him?
3. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
4. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
5. What are three of the book's motifs that make an appearance in this chapter?
6. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
7. What impact did the publication of this work have on Capote's life?
8. How is the theme of fame and fortune exhibited in this chapter?
9. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
10. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Jones' life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
How does Capote use the literary technique of local color in ANSWERED PRAYERS? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in some establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Capote's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in ANSWERED PRAYERS.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)