|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed since Jones' last entry?
2. Where does Jones go in this chapter?
3. What prompts Jones to call the person in #114 at such an early hour?
4. What does Jones say he did with Mr. Appleton's business card?
5. Who does Jones call "The Black Duchess"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
2. Who is Aces Nelson and how does Jones meet him?
3. Why does the reader have a feeling of incompleteness while reading this book?
4. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
5. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
6. What leads Jones into discussing a party held in Montgomery Clift's honor?
7. What information does Jones need before he feels he can respond to Kate's job offer?
8. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
9. How does the author plant the question of truth versus illusion especially regarding Aces' explanation of Kate's life for Jones?
10. What are three of the book's motifs that make an appearance in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of P.B. Jones. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
How does Capote use the literary technique of local color in ANSWERED PRAYERS? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in some establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)