|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones do for Kate in her hotel suite?
2. Who accompanies the person in #153?
3. What does Kate's husband do when he thinks she spends too much time riding her horse?
4. Aces manipulates Jones into ____________________.
5. Jones' dining companion says that the British Royal Family is racist and _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Aces Nelson and how does Jones meet him?
2. What impact did the publication of this work have on Capote's life?
3. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
4. Who is Mr. Appleton and what is his relationship to Jones?
5. How is the theme of fame and fortune exhibited in this chapter?
6. What information does Jones need before he feels he can respond to Kate's job offer?
7. Why does the reader have a feeling of incompleteness while reading this book?
8. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
9. How do Jones' strong feelings for Kate prompt him to think that he might be in over his head?
10. How does the author blur the line between reality and fiction regarding Barbara Hutton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Capote is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)