|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jones enters into a relationship with Boatwright which is part sexual and part _____________.
2. Who is Woodrow Hamilton?
3. Where is Jones living during this time?
4. What is Fox's third theory about what happened to the rest of this book?
5. Why does Jones quickly leave the apartment of the man in #83?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the editor feel is the real person disguised as P.B. Jones?
2. Why does the crystal paperweight remind Jones of Kate McCloud?
3. Why does Jones connect Peggy Guggenheim to his days of writing his novel called Sleepless Millions?
4. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
5. Who was Denham Fouts?
6. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
7. Why does the author reveal the sexual practices in both high society as well as the lower side of life at the YMCA?
8. Which American expatriate has a strong influence on Jones' life?
9. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
10. What is a core theme of the book and how does it manifest in people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some potential instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain why each has potential for foreshadowing had the book been completed.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Appleton What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)