|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jones reveals that he is working on a novel entitled __________________.
2. To where does Florie Rotondo travel?
3. Where is Jones living during this time?
4. Mr. Wallace is probably a pseudonym for which famous person?
5. What is Denham Fouts' profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jones imply with his ideas of moving to the country or moving to the sixth floor?
2. Which real person is thinly disguised in the character of Mr. Wallace?
3. What does the editor note as Capote's personal characteristics?
4. What is a core theme of the book and how does it manifest in people?
5. Why does the author reveal the sexual practices in both high society as well as the lower side of life at the YMCA?
6. Who is Woodrow Hamilton and what pivotal role does he play in Jones' life?
7. Who is Turner Boatwright and what is his relationship with Jones?
8. What is the focus of the book?
9. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
10. Give an example of how the author thinly veils the work as fiction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Jones' life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Wallace. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Capote use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)