|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work did Capote intend to mimic?
2. Who is the famous photographer Jones meets at Boatwright's parties?
3. Jones says that Fouts lacked _________________.
4. Jones and Hamilton discuss the relationship between art and life in which book?
5. Who was Capote's longtime companion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Capote's friends disown him after the publication of this book?
2. What is the significance of the crystal paperweight given to Jones by Colette?
3. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
4. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
5. Why does the reader have a feeling of incompleteness while reading this book?
6. What were the perceptions among Capote's real life friends upon the publication of this fictional work?
7. How does Capote end the book with metaphors of the passage of time for everyone?
8. How does the author blur the line between reality and fiction regarding Barbara Hutton?
9. Which author and book do Jones and Hamilton discuss related to Jones' writing?
10. Who was Denham Fouts?
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Capote's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in ANSWERED PRAYERS.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)