|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what holiday did Jones' marriage break up?
2. How does Jones learn of Denny Fout's death?
3. Miss Self sends Jones on his first appointment with a man whose pseudonym is _______________.
4. Jones' book will be based on his experiences with whom?
5. Who is Turner Boatwright?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which author and book do Jones and Hamilton discuss related to Jones' writing?
2. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
3. What is the significance of the crystal paperweight given to Jones by Colette?
4. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
5. Which author and book did Capote try to emulate in the writing of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
6. Give an example of how the author thinly veils the work as fiction.
7. What is the premise of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
8. Who is Turner Boatwright and what is his relationship with Jones?
9. Which real person is thinly disguised in the character of Mr. Wallace?
10. What is a core theme of the book and how does it manifest in people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Denham Fouts. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Capote's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in ANSWERED PRAYERS.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)