|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the editor of this book?
2. Why does Jones quickly leave the apartment of the man in #83?
3. Why does Jones say it was too late for him to move to the country?
4. What is Denham Fouts' profession?
5. Where did Jones grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jones get the money to get to New York and how does he describe his first year in that city?
2. What is the premise of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
3. What was the nature of Jones' one marriage?
4. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
5. Which real person is thinly disguised in the character of Mr. Wallace?
6. What is a core theme of the book and how does it manifest in people?
7. What is the significance of the crystal paperweight given to Jones by Colette?
8. Who is Florie Rotondo?
9. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
10. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)