|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Jones' first book?
2. Where did Jones grow up?
3. What is notable about the masseur Jones meets in the YMCA?
4. What is the setting for this section of the book?
5. Jones enters into a relationship with Boatwright which is part sexual and part _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Turner Boatwright and what is his relationship with Jones?
2. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
3. What information does Jones need before he feels he can respond to Kate's job offer?
4. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
5. How does Capote end the book with metaphors of the passage of time for everyone?
6. What are three of the book's motifs that make an appearance in this chapter?
7. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
8. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
9. Which American expatriate has a strong influence on Jones' life?
10. What leads Jones into discussing a party held in Montgomery Clift's honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Capote is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Appleton What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of P.B. Jones. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
This section contains 1,584 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)