|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does Florie Rotondo travel?
2. What work did Capote intend to mimic?
3. Why does Jones quickly leave the apartment of the man in #83?
4. P.B. Jones comments that he may move to the _______________ floor of his building.
5. Where does Florie Rotondo move after her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Denham Fouts?
2. Which American expatriate has a strong influence on Jones' life?
3. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
4. Who does the editor feel is the real person disguised as P.B. Jones?
5. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
6. Who is Woodrow Hamilton and what pivotal role does he play in Jones' life?
7. Why does the crystal paperweight remind Jones of Kate McCloud?
8. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
9. What is the premise of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
10. Who is Florie Rotondo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)