|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Wallace is probably a pseudonym for which famous person?
2. Jones and Hamilton discuss the relationship between art and life in which book?
3. Jones says his portrait on his book jacket portrays him as ________________.
4. What is Jones' first task for the man in #83?
5. What is Denham Fouts' profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which real person is thinly disguised in the character of Mr. Wallace?
2. What does Jones imply with his ideas of moving to the country or moving to the sixth floor?
3. How did Jones get the money to get to New York and how does he describe his first year in that city?
4. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
5. Who is Florie Rotondo?
6. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
7. Why does Jones connect Peggy Guggenheim to his days of writing his novel called Sleepless Millions?
8. Which American expatriate has a strong influence on Jones' life?
9. Which author and book do Jones and Hamilton discuss related to Jones' writing?
10. Who is Turner Boatwright and what is his relationship with Jones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Appleton What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of P.B. Jones. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)