|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jones reveals that he is working on a novel entitled __________________.
2. Why does Fouts send Jones a first class ticket to Paris?
3. How does the editor refer to the narrator of the book?
4. In what city did Jones write his book titled Sleepless Millions?
5. What job does Hamilton suggest to Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the focus of the book?
2. Who was Denham Fouts?
3. What was the nature of Jones' one marriage?
4. What is a core theme of the book and how does it manifest in people?
5. Who is Florie Rotondo?
6. Which author and book did Capote try to emulate in the writing of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
7. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
8. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
9. Why does Jones identify so strongly with the American expatriates?
10. How did Jones get the money to get to New York and how does he describe his first year in that city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some potential instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain why each has potential for foreshadowing had the book been completed.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of P.B. Jones. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)