|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jones first meet Denham Fouts?
2. What does Jones consider the item in #70 to be?
3. Who was Capote's longtime companion?
4. Capote is known to have descended into what personal problems?
5. Where did Jones grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the crystal paperweight given to Jones by Colette?
2. Who is Florie Rotondo?
3. Who is Woodrow Hamilton and what pivotal role does he play in Jones' life?
4. Who does the editor feel is the real person disguised as P.B. Jones?
5. Who are some of the famous people who Jones meets at Boatwright's parties?
6. Why does Jones connect Peggy Guggenheim to his days of writing his novel called Sleepless Millions?
7. Why did Capote's friends disown him after the publication of this book?
8. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
9. Why does the crystal paperweight remind Jones of Kate McCloud?
10. What was the nature of Jones' one marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some potential instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain why each has potential for foreshadowing had the book been completed.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Capote use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)