|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be viable if Jones were to move to this location?
2. Jones says his portrait on his book jacket portrays him as ________________.
3. For what other book is Truman Capote famous?
4. To where does Florie Rotondo travel?
5. Where did Jones grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the crystal paperweight given to Jones by Colette?
2. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
3. Give an example of how the author thinly veils the work as fiction.
4. Which real person is thinly disguised in the character of Mr. Wallace?
5. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
6. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
7. What does the editor note as Capote's personal characteristics?
8. Why did Capote's friends disown him after the publication of this book?
9. How does Jones balance his dark side with an entertaining style of writing to engage the reader?
10. What was the nature of Jones' one marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Capote uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe New York City using only your recall of Capote's descriptions. How do you visualize the city of New York City now that you have read Capote's ANSWERED PRAYERS?
Essay Topic 2
Capote is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)