|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fox's second theory about what happened to the rest of this book?
2. Who is another person who becomes a key figure in Jones' life?
3. What does Jones consider the item in #70 to be?
4. Jones and Hamilton discuss the relationship between art and life in which book?
5. Who was Capote's longtime companion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
2. What is the significance of the crystal paperweight given to Jones by Colette?
3. What does the editor note as Capote's personal characteristics?
4. Who is Florie Rotondo?
5. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
6. How does Jones balance his dark side with an entertaining style of writing to engage the reader?
7. Why does the author reveal the sexual practices in both high society as well as the lower side of life at the YMCA?
8. Which author and book did Capote try to emulate in the writing of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
9. What are three of the book's motifs that make an appearance in this chapter?
10. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Wallace. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Appleton What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)