|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does the person in #68 give to Jones?
2. Why does Jones quickly leave the apartment of the man in #83?
3. Who is the expatriate American who has a strong impact on Jones?
4. How does Jones learn of Denny Fout's death?
5. How does the editor refer to the narrator of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of Jones' one marriage?
2. Why does Jones connect Peggy Guggenheim to his days of writing his novel called Sleepless Millions?
3. What is the significance of the crystal paperweight given to Jones by Colette?
4. How does Jones balance his dark side with an entertaining style of writing to engage the reader?
5. Which author and book do Jones and Hamilton discuss related to Jones' writing?
6. Which real person is thinly disguised in the character of Mr. Wallace?
7. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
8. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
9. What is the premise of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
10. How did Jones get the money to get to New York and how does he describe his first year in that city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Appleton What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of P.B. Jones. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)