|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for this section of the book?
2. What is the title of Jones' first book?
3. Jones says that Fouts lacked _________________.
4. What does the editor claim is at the core of this book?
5. Who is one person who becomes a key figure in Jones' life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
2. How do Jones' strong feelings for Kate prompt him to think that he might be in over his head?
3. How does the author blur the line between reality and fiction regarding Barbara Hutton?
4. Why does Jones mention Florie Rotondo during the low moments at the end of this chapter?
5. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
6. Why does Jones identify so strongly with the American expatriates?
7. Who is Aces Nelson and how does Jones meet him?
8. Why did Capote's friends disown him after the publication of this book?
9. What information does Jones need before he feels he can respond to Kate's job offer?
10. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of P.B. Jones. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
This section contains 1,561 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)