|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boatwright tell Jones about Jones' stories?
2. Jones reveals that he is working on a novel entitled __________________.
3. The book focuses on the lives of people in _______________.
4. What is Natalie Barney's notoriety?
5. Jones and Hamilton discuss the relationship between art and life in which book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are some of the famous people who Jones meets at Boatwright's parties?
2. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
3. Who is Turner Boatwright and what is his relationship with Jones?
4. Why does Jones connect Peggy Guggenheim to his days of writing his novel called Sleepless Millions?
5. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
6. How did Jones get the money to get to New York and how does he describe his first year in that city?
7. Why did Capote's friends disown him after the publication of this book?
8. What is a core theme of the book and how does it manifest in people?
9. Which author and book do Jones and Hamilton discuss related to Jones' writing?
10. How does Jones balance his dark side with an entertaining style of writing to engage the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Capote uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe New York City using only your recall of Capote's descriptions. How do you visualize the city of New York City now that you have read Capote's ANSWERED PRAYERS?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)