|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one person who becomes a key figure in Jones' life?
2. Where did Jones grow up?
3. What work did Capote intend to mimic?
4. Who is the expatriate American who has a strong impact on Jones?
5. What does Jones think would have happened if he had moved to the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of Jones' one marriage?
2. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
3. Why did Capote's friends disown him after the publication of this book?
4. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
5. Which author and book do Jones and Hamilton discuss related to Jones' writing?
6. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
7. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
8. How did Jones get the money to get to New York and how does he describe his first year in that city?
9. Which American expatriate has a strong influence on Jones' life?
10. Why does Jones identify so strongly with the American expatriates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some potential instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain why each has potential for foreshadowing had the book been completed.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)