|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Wallace is probably a pseudonym for which famous person?
2. Who does P.B. Jones say he has met?
3. Who is Woodrow Hamilton?
4. What is Fox's third theory about what happened to the rest of this book?
5. What happened to several more chapters of this book that were not published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Turner Boatwright and what is his relationship with Jones?
2. Which author and book did Capote try to emulate in the writing of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
3. Why does the crystal paperweight remind Jones of Kate McCloud?
4. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
5. What was the nature of Jones' one marriage?
6. Why does the author reveal the sexual practices in both high society as well as the lower side of life at the YMCA?
7. Who was Denham Fouts?
8. Which author and book do Jones and Hamilton discuss related to Jones' writing?
9. How does Jones balance his dark side with an entertaining style of writing to engage the reader?
10. Who is Florie Rotondo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jones. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Jones' background? Does he spend much of his time trying to rid himself of his past? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some potential instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain why each has potential for foreshadowing had the book been completed.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Wallace. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)