|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work did Capote intend to mimic?
2. Jones says his book is about ________________.
3. What is notable about the masseur Jones meets in the YMCA?
4. What is Fox's first theory of what happened to the rest of this book?
5. Who is most probably the narrator of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Turner Boatwright and what is his relationship with Jones?
2. What is the premise of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
3. Which American expatriate has a strong influence on Jones' life?
4. Who are some of the famous people who Jones meets at Boatwright's parties?
5. Why did Capote's friends disown him after the publication of this book?
6. Give an example of how the author thinly veils the work as fiction.
7. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
8. Who is Woodrow Hamilton and what pivotal role does he play in Jones' life?
9. Which real person is thinly disguised in the character of Mr. Wallace?
10. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Capote uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe New York City using only your recall of Capote's descriptions. How do you visualize the city of New York City now that you have read Capote's ANSWERED PRAYERS?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Capote use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Capote is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)