|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be viable if Jones were to move to this location?
2. What is notable about the masseur Jones meets in the YMCA?
3. Jones and Hamilton discuss the relationship between art and life in which book?
4. Which famous person does Jones meet in Paris?
5. Where did Jones move with money he earned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author reveal the sexual practices in both high society as well as the lower side of life at the YMCA?
2. Give an example of how the author thinly veils the work as fiction.
3. What is the premise of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
4. Which author and book do Jones and Hamilton discuss related to Jones' writing?
5. What does the editor note as Capote's personal characteristics?
6. Why does Jones connect Peggy Guggenheim to his days of writing his novel called Sleepless Millions?
7. Why does Jones identify so strongly with the American expatriates?
8. How does Jones balance his dark side with an entertaining style of writing to engage the reader?
9. Who is Turner Boatwright and what is his relationship with Jones?
10. Why does the crystal paperweight remind Jones of Kate McCloud?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Denham Fouts. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Capote's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Appleton What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)