|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the work in #12?
2. What is the setting for this section of the book?
3. Jones says his book is about ________________.
4. Where did Jones grow up?
5. What did Capote change during the writing of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
2. Why does Jones identify so strongly with the American expatriates?
3. What does the editor note as Capote's personal characteristics?
4. Which author and book did Capote try to emulate in the writing of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
5. What is a core theme of the book and how does it manifest in people?
6. Why does Jones connect Peggy Guggenheim to his days of writing his novel called Sleepless Millions?
7. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
8. Give an example of how the author thinly veils the work as fiction.
9. Why does the crystal paperweight remind Jones of Kate McCloud?
10. Who was Denham Fouts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Capote is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Capote's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jones. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Jones' background? Does he spend much of his time trying to rid himself of his past? Explain.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)