|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the protagonist/narrator of the book?
2. Which famous French novelist does Jones meet in Paris?
3. What does Boatwright tell Jones about Jones' stories?
4. Where does Florie Rotondo move after her trip?
5. What was the minimal payment Jones ever received for a sexual experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
2. What was the nature of Jones' one marriage?
3. Give an example of how the author thinly veils the work as fiction.
4. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
5. How did Jones get the money to get to New York and how does he describe his first year in that city?
6. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
7. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
8. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
9. Which author and book did Capote try to emulate in the writing of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
10. What is the premise of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jones. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Jones' background? Does he spend much of his time trying to rid himself of his past? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Wallace. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)