|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Florie Rotondo?
2. To what floor has Jones moved in his building?
3. What happened to Capote when real people recognized themselves in this book?
4. Jones says that Fouts lacked _________________.
5. What is Denham Fouts' profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
2. What celebrities does the author name outright in this chapter and who are mildly disguised?
3. Who does the editor feel is the real person disguised as P.B. Jones?
4. Who is Turner Boatwright and what is his relationship with Jones?
5. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
6. How does Capote end the book with metaphors of the passage of time for everyone?
7. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
8. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
9. How does Jones break professional protocol regarding Mr. Appleton?
10. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Capote's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Appleton What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
This section contains 1,549 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)