|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. P.B. Jones comments that he may move to the _______________ floor of his building.
2. For which of the following is Truman Capote NOT known?
3. Where does Fouts go to wean himself off drugs?
4. What type of school did Jones attend?
5. Jones says his portrait on his book jacket portrays him as ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the editor feel is the real person disguised as P.B. Jones?
2. What was the nature of Jones' one marriage?
3. Who was Denham Fouts?
4. Why does the crystal paperweight remind Jones of Kate McCloud?
5. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
6. Which American expatriate has a strong influence on Jones' life?
7. Why are Jones' thoughts of jumping out the sixth floor window curtailed?
8. How did Jones get the money to get to New York and how does he describe his first year in that city?
9. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
10. What is the focus of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Denham Fouts. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Using people take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Capote is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)