|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be viable if Jones were to move to this location?
2. What about Victoria Self's appearance strikes Jones?
3. Who is the author of the work in #12?
4. Jones enters into a relationship with Boatwright which is part sexual and part _____________.
5. Mr. Wallace is probably a pseudonym for which famous person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Woodrow Hamilton and what pivotal role does he play in Jones' life?
2. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
3. What is the focus of the book?
4. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
5. What is the significance of the crystal paperweight given to Jones by Colette?
6. What is the premise of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
7. What was the nature of Jones' one marriage?
8. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
9. Which author and book did Capote try to emulate in the writing of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
10. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Capote's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in ANSWERED PRAYERS.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)