|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what has Mr. Appleton requested Jones' company?
(a) New Year's Eve.
(b) The Thanksgiving weekend.
(c) A month in the Mediterranean.
(d) Christmas Day.
2. Who is Kate McCloud's assistant?
3. What is Kate McCloud's husband's name?
4. Where does Jones encounter Kate McCloud?
5. Who does Jones shout at on the street?
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Jones have lunch in this chapter?
2. Two cowboys agree that it takes _____________ to get a day started well.
3. Kate's second husband is a businessman from which country?
4. Why is Jones drawn into Kate's world?
5. How does Aces Nelson make his living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jones' strong feelings for Kate prompt him to think that he might be in over his head?
2. Why does Miss Self summon Jones to a meeting and why is she willing to forgo her business tenet of no socialization of employees with clients outside business appointments?
3. How does the author blur the line between reality and fiction regarding Barbara Hutton?
4. How does the author plant the question of truth versus illusion especially regarding Aces' explanation of Kate's life for Jones?
5. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
6. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
7. Who is Mr. Appleton and what is his relationship to Jones?
8. What are three of the book's motifs that make an appearance in this chapter?
9. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
10. Why does Jones mention Florie Rotondo during the low moments at the end of this chapter?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)