|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jones call "The Black Duchess"?
2. Who arranges for Kate's husband to be committed to an asylum?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His business partner.
3. Who is the actor starring in the movie in this chapter?
(a) Clark Gable.
(b) Errol Flynn.
(c) John Wayne.
(d) Montgomery Clift.
4. What is Jones' overall demeanor at this point in his life?
5. What news does Aces give Jones in Paris?
(a) Aces is moving to Rome.
(b) Kate wants to hire Jones.
(c) Kate's son has been kidnapped.
(d) Aces is in love with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jones afraid that Kate will ask him to do?
2. What prompts Jones to call the person in #114 at such an early hour?
3. What is Kate McCloud's nationality?
4. In what city was Kate McCloud staying?
5. What beverage does the person in #146 order at lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Axel Jaeger embody one of the book's key themes?
2. Why does the author again resort to heavy name dropping in this chapter?
3. How is the theme of fame and fortune exhibited in this chapter?
4. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
5. Why does Miss Self summon Jones to a meeting and why is she willing to forgo her business tenet of no socialization of employees with clients outside business appointments?
6. How does the author plant the question of truth versus illusion especially regarding Aces' explanation of Kate's life for Jones?
7. What information does Jones need before he feels he can respond to Kate's job offer?
8. Who is Mr. Appleton and what is his relationship to Jones?
9. Who is Aces Nelson and how does Jones meet him?
10. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)