|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arranges for Kate's husband to be committed to an asylum?
(a) His mother.
(b) His business partner.
(d) His father.
2. Who is the actor starring in the movie in this chapter?
(a) Montgomery Clift.
(b) Errol Flynn.
(c) Clark Gable.
(d) John Wayne.
3. What rule does Miss Self remind Jones of?
(a) No tips from clients are allowed.
(b) Termination if he doesn't show up at appointments.
(c) He cannot refuse an assignment.
(d) No socialization with clients outside the business.
4. What is Kate McCloud's nationality?
5. What prompts Jones to call the person in #114 at such an early hour?
(a) He sees his business card.
(b) He read her newspaper column.
(c) He saw his movie.
(d) He is returning her call.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country is the city in #92 located?
2. What does Jones say he did with Mr. Appleton's business card?
3. How does Jones find the man in #103 to be?
4. Who does Jones call "The Black Duchess"?
5. What was Charlie Chaplin's wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Jones need before he feels he can respond to Kate's job offer?
2. Describe Jones' first encounter with Kate McCloud.
3. What is Kate McCloud's life history?
4. Why does the author again resort to heavy name dropping in this chapter?
5. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
6. Who is Aces Nelson and how does Jones meet him?
7. Who is Mr. Appleton and what is his relationship to Jones?
8. What leads Jones into discussing a party held in Montgomery Clift's honor?
9. What celebrities does the author name outright in this chapter and who are mildly disguised?
10. How does the author plant the question of truth versus illusion especially regarding Aces' explanation of Kate's life for Jones?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)