|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man in #103 give Jones before he leaves?
(a) A tie clip.
(b) A business card.
(c) A wallet.
(d) A silk scarf.
2. Why does Aces decide to introduce Jones to Kate?
(a) She needs a good bartender.
(b) She needs a handsome escort.
(c) She needs a witty personality at parties.
(d) She needs a masseur who can travel with her.
3. What does Jones do for Kate in her hotel suite?
(a) Gives her a massage.
(b) Makes evening plans.
(c) Presses her gown.
(d) Serves dinner.
4. Why is Jones drawn into Kate's world?
(a) It is literary.
(b) It is religious.
(c) It has fame and fortune.
(d) It is philanthropic.
5. Who hosted a party in honor of the actor in #111?
(a) Candy McCain.
(b) Turner Boatwright.
(c) Dorothy Kilgallon.
(d) Tennessee Williams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones want to find at the center of the earth?
2. Who arranges for Kate's husband to be committed to an asylum?
3. How much time has passed since Jones' last entry?
4. Which socialite staged a home invasion in which her husband was killed?
5. Jones takes the job as Kate's ______________ and masseur.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Aces Nelson and how does Jones meet him?
2. What were the perceptions among Capote's real life friends upon the publication of this fictional work?
3. How does the author blur the line between reality and fiction regarding Barbara Hutton?
4. What celebrities does the author name outright in this chapter and who are mildly disguised?
5. What is the irony of the author's surrounding himself with people who do not seem to ever be lonely at all?
6. How is the theme of loneliness exhibited in this chapter?
7. What is the reader's frustration with the burgeoning relationship Jones has with Mr. Appleton?
8. Who is Mr. Appleton and what is his relationship to Jones?
9. How does the author plant the question of truth versus illusion especially regarding Aces' explanation of Kate's life for Jones?
10. Why does the reader have a feeling of incompleteness while reading this book?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)