|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the editor of this book?
(a) William Paley.
(b) Joseph M. Fox.
(c) Bennett Cerf.
(d) William Sloane.
2. What does Fox consider highly unlikely regarding this book?
(a) That Capote published some of it under a different name.
(b) That there is a full manuscript hidden somewhere.
(c) Dunphy had the work sealed and stored away.
(d) Capote destroyed the work.
3. Who does P.B. Jones say he has met?
(a) Unspoiled monsters.
(b) Soccer stars.
(d) The Queen of England.
4. Mr. Wallace is probably a pseudonym for which famous person?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) Tennessee Williams.
5. What is Fox's second theory about what happened to the rest of this book?
(a) Capote never wrote them.
(b) Capote gave them to his godson.
(c) Dunphy burned them when Truman died.
(d) Bennett Cerf put them in a safe with no combination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in #68 give to Jones when he visits her/his home?
2. Capote is known to have descended into what personal problems?
3. Truman Capote was popular from ______________________.
4. What is the title of Jones' first book?
5. How can Capote's private persona be generally described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Woodrow Hamilton and what pivotal role does he play in Jones' life?
2. What is the premise of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
3. What is the irony of Jones' namedropping in the book?
4. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
5. Which real person is thinly disguised in the character of Mr. Wallace?
6. What does the editor note as Capote's personal characteristics?
7. Why does Jones connect Peggy Guggenheim to his days of writing his novel called Sleepless Millions?
8. What is the focus of the book?
9. How does Jones balance his dark side with an entertaining style of writing to engage the reader?
10. Why does the author reveal the sexual practices in both high society as well as the lower side of life at the YMCA?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)