|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Denham Fouts' profession?
2. Jones says that Fouts lacked _________________.
(c) sexual prowess.
3. What is Fox's second theory about what happened to the rest of this book?
(a) Capote gave them to his godson.
(b) Bennett Cerf put them in a safe with no combination.
(c) Capote never wrote them.
(d) Dunphy burned them when Truman died.
4. Who is the author of the work in #12?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) James Jones.
(c) Ray Bradbury.
(d) Marcel Proust.
5. What does Fox consider highly unlikely regarding this book?
(a) Capote destroyed the work.
(b) That Capote published some of it under a different name.
(c) That there is a full manuscript hidden somewhere.
(d) Dunphy had the work sealed and stored away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one person who becomes a key figure in Jones' life?
2. What is Jones' first task for the man in #83?
3. Why did Jones engage in homosexual experiences at an early age?
4. How does the editor refer to the narrator of the book?
5. Mr. Wallace is probably a pseudonym for which famous person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author reveal the sexual practices in both high society as well as the lower side of life at the YMCA?
2. Which real person is thinly disguised in the character of Mr. Wallace?
3. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
4. What was the nature of Jones' childhood and early adulthood?
5. Who was Denham Fouts?
6. What does the editor note as Capote's personal characteristics?
7. Which author and book did Capote try to emulate in the writing of ANSWERED PRAYERS?
8. Who is Florie Rotondo?
9. Who is Turner Boatwright and what is his relationship with Jones?
10. Give an example of how the author thinly veils the work as fiction.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)