|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Turner Boatwright?
(a) A tobacco farmer.
(b) An attorney.
(c) A dancer.
(d) A publisher.
2. Which famous French novelist does Jones meet in Paris?
(b) Antoine de Saint Exupery.
(c) Annie Ernaux.
(d) Marcel Proust.
3. What is Jones' first task for the man in #83?
(a) Walk the man's dog.
(b) Shine the man's shoes.
(c) Respond to correspondence.
(d) Send out for lunch.
4. Where does Jones first meet Denham Fouts?
(c) New York.
5. How does the editor refer to the narrator of the book?
(a) A man among men.
(b) A dark Doppelganger.
(c) A prince of a guy.
(d) A hero in every sense of the word.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the editor claim is at the core of this book?
2. Who is one person who becomes a key figure in Jones' life?
3. Why did Jones engage in homosexual experiences at an early age?
4. Who is the expatriate American who has a strong impact on Jones?
5. Who is Florie Rotondo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Florie Rotondo?
2. Why does Jones connect Peggy Guggenheim to his days of writing his novel called Sleepless Millions?
3. Why does the crystal paperweight remind Jones of Kate McCloud?
4. What does the editor note as Capote's personal characteristics?
5. What is the significance of the crystal paperweight given to Jones by Colette?
6. What is Jones' perspective on moving to the country himself?
7. What does Jones imply with his ideas of moving to the country or moving to the sixth floor?
8. Why does Jones identify so strongly with the American expatriates?
9. Explain Truman Capote's notoriety in the 1960s and 1970s.
10. Why does the author reveal the sexual practices in both high society as well as the lower side of life at the YMCA?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)