|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tree is Annie trying to get fruit from in Chapter 4?
2. Which of Annie's friends is known as a dunce?
3. How old is Annie in Chapter 1?
4. Who does most of the talking during lunchtime conversations at Annie's house?
5. How does the other girl retrieve the fruit in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. John's trunk hold now and where is it kept?
2. What incident makes the Johns realize they cannot leave Annie alone at all?
3. In Chapter 7, what new habits does Annie demonstrate after she recovers and how do her classmates feel about them?
4. As Chapter 3 ends, when does it seem Annie is happiest?
5. What is Annie's main symptom at the beginning of Chapter 7?
6. What helps Annie visualize how Miss Charlotte must look dead?
7. Why does Annie say she likes to sit at the front of the class?
8. What does Annie's father tell her as they part for her trip to England?
9. When does Annie's friendship with the Red Girl begin to take on new dimension?
10. Why does Mrs. John prepare her friend's daughter for burial in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie says she loves Sonia, Gwen, and in some ways, the Red Girl. If she "loves" these people, why does she hurt or lie to them? How is this important to the story overall?
Essay Topic 2
If Annie fears separation so much, why is she happy to leave her family at the end of Chapter 8?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of not learning Annie's name until Chapter 3? Explain your answer and give examples from the novel to support your claim.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)