|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Annie let her mother touch her?
2. Who are the two girls Annie befriends at her new school in Chapter 2?
3. How old was Mrs. John when she left her parents' home?
4. What is Annie's punishment for lying to her mother in Chapter 1?
5. Who falls in love in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of "odd things" happen in Chapter 2 at the John's home that made the Obeah woman confirm that evil spirits had been sent to their house?
2. In Chapter 1, Annie is supposed to pick up fish on her way home but did not. How does Mrs. John get the fish?
3. Why does Annie look forward to starting a new school in Chapter 2?
4. Annie dreams that she saves the Red Girl from a ship wreck and they live on an island together forever. What do they do for fun on the island?
5. What does Annie tell her father she wants in Chapter 6?
6. Why doesn't Annie speak to Sonia after the death of the girl's mother?
7. What is Annie's main symptom at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. How do the other girls feel about Annie when they learn she has begun to menstruate?
9. Describe Mrs. John's trunk.
10. Why does Annie say she likes to sit at the front of the class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What feeling does Annie have when she sees her parents in bed together? Why does she feel this way? Where do her feelings for her parents go from that point?
Essay Topic 2
Annie says she loves Sonia, Gwen, and in some ways, the Red Girl. If she "loves" these people, why does she hurt or lie to them? How is this important to the story overall?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of not learning Annie's name until Chapter 3? Explain your answer and give examples from the novel to support your claim.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)