|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie and her Chapter 4 friend begin exchanging hard pinches and...
2. What kind of tree is Annie trying to get fruit from in Chapter 4?
3. What is the name of Annie's teacher in Chapter 3?
4. Why doesn't Annie like the essays her classmates write in Chapter 3?
5. What does Annie believe will happen if she points at a dead person?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, Annie is supposed to pick up fish on her way home but did not. How does Mrs. John get the fish?
2. What does Annie write that gets her into trouble in Chapter 5 and where does she write it?
3. What incident makes the Johns realize they cannot leave Annie alone at all?
4. Describe Mr. John's childhood.
5. Why is the Red Girl sent to live with her grandparents?
6. What unusual incident occurs when Annie's uncle dies?
7. Describe the Red Girl's appearance.
8. What are Annie's thoughts as she sits in her room following the disagreement with her mother in Chapter 6?
9. As Chapter 3 ends, when does it seem Annie is happiest?
10. What is Annie's response to Mrs. John's accusation in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of not learning Annie's name until Chapter 3? Explain your answer and give examples from the novel to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
What does Mrs. John's trunk symbolize? Does its symbolism change throughout the story? If so, how? Support your answers with information from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does gender play a role in the novel, Annie John? Discuss double standards portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)