|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which neighbor dies in Chapter 1?
2. What does Annie's mother teach her at the market?
3. What is Annie obsessed with in Chapter 1?
4. What is Annie's punishment for lying to her mother in Chapter 1?
5. How do the women who are mean to Annie and her mother act when they see Mr. John?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, Annie is supposed to pick up fish on her way home but did not. How does Mrs. John get the fish?
2. How does Annie react when her mother gives her an egg cordial with two spoons of rum in it?
3. Describe the Red Girl's appearance.
4. Describe Mr. John's childhood.
5. Annie dreams that she saves the Red Girl from a ship wreck and they live on an island together forever. What do they do for fun on the island?
6. What do the fabrics Annie and her mother select in Chapter 2 symbolize to Annie and why?
7. What inspires Annie to pen the words that get her in trouble in Chapter 5?
8. Name three "firsts" that Annie experiences in Chapter 3.
9. What hypocrisy does Annie struggle to understand regarding her mother?
10. What kind of "odd things" happen in Chapter 2 at the John's home that made the Obeah woman confirm that evil spirits had been sent to their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much does the culture of Antigua affect Annie's life? Give three examples from the novel that show the influence of the local culture in Annie's life. Who influences her thoughts on the culture most -- her mother or father?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of not learning Annie's name until Chapter 3? Explain your answer and give examples from the novel to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
What aspects and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Annie John? Explain your answers.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)