|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Kenneth's gift to Annie please Mrs. John?
2. What does Annie's Chapter 4 friend think about the gifts Annie buys for her?
3. In Chapter 3, what is the only real happy time Annie has?
4. What is Annie's response when confronted about playing marbles at school in Chapter 4?
5. Annie and her Chapter 4 friend begin exchanging hard pinches and...
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of "odd things" happen in Chapter 2 at the John's home that made the Obeah woman confirm that evil spirits had been sent to their house?
2. As Chapter 3 ends, when does it seem Annie is happiest?
3. What is Annie's main symptom at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. What is Annie required to copy as her punishment in Chapter 5 and how much time is she given?
5. Why does Annie like the Red Girl so much?
6. How does Annie describe the waves as she lies in her cabin?
7. How does Annie react when her mother gives her an egg cordial with two spoons of rum in it?
8. What are Annie's thoughts as she sits in her room following the disagreement with her mother in Chapter 6?
9. How is Annie's friendship with Gwen in Chapter 6?
10. Describe the Red Girl's appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie says she loves Sonia, Gwen, and in some ways, the Red Girl. If she "loves" these people, why does she hurt or lie to them? How is this important to the story overall?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of water throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Annie's mother from what you know, not from what Annie has said about her.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)