|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Annie and her mother do every day after lunch?
2. Why is Annie's Chapter 4 friend sent away?
3. What is Gwen's last name?
4. Which member of the John family sleeps late during the summers?
5. What does Annie choose as the focus of her assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Annie's plans and her feelings about them.
2. Annie dreams that she saves the Red Girl from a ship wreck and they live on an island together forever. What do they do for fun on the island?
3. Why does Annie begin sneaking to funerals?
4. Name three "firsts" that Annie experiences in Chapter 3.
5. What is Annie's belief regarding dead people in Chapter 1?
6. Why is Annie afraid of dead people in Chapter 1?
7. What helps Annie visualize how Miss Charlotte must look dead?
8. How does Annie view her parents in Chapter 8? How does Annie now see herself?
9. What unusual incident occurs when Annie's uncle dies?
10. Does Annie get the sympathy from her mother that she wants during lunch in Chapter 5? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of Milton's Paradise Lost to the theme of Annie John and to Annie's punishment given by her school's headmistress.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Gwen in the novel? How does her role change over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of The Red Girl to the story? She appears in only one chapter of the novel. How might the novel have differed if she had not been introduced as a minor character?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)