|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Annie so intrigued by the new friend she meets in Chapter 4?
(a) She gets to run wild and doesn't have to stay clean.
(b) She is very literate.
(c) She is a natural storyteller and writer like Annie.
(d) She has beautiful golden curls.
2. Where does the John family stay during summer holiday?
(a) House on Fort Bay Street.
(b) House on Fort Road.
(c) On a house boat.
(d) House on Dickenson Bay Street.
3. Why does Annie buy gifts for her Chapter 4 friend?
(a) She wants the friend to be indebted to her.
(b) She just wants to buy her things.
(c) She feels guilty about how much she has.
(d) She is intimidated into buying her things.
4. Who does most of the talking during lunchtime conversations at Annie's house?
(a) All three.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. John.
(c) Annie and her father.
(d) Annie and her mother.
5. How does the other girl retrieve the fruit in Chapter 4?
(a) She recites a spell to make it fall.
(b) She climbs the tree.
(c) She throws a bigger rock at it.
(d) She shakes the tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who falls in love in Chapter 3?
2. Why is Annie punished in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 1, what was Annie supposed to have picked up on her way home from school instead of going to a funeral?
4. How does Annie feel in response to her teacher's reaction to the first essay she wrote in Chapter 3?
5. Which of Annie's friends is known as a dunce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the illustration in Annie's text book show in Chapter 5?
2. Does Annie get the sympathy from her mother that she wants during lunch in Chapter 5? Why or why not?
3. What do the fabrics Annie and her mother select in Chapter 2 symbolize to Annie and why?
4. How does Annie meet the Red Girl?
5. What hypocrisy does Annie struggle to understand regarding her mother?
6. How do the girls learn about Annie's menstruation?
7. When does Annie's friendship with the Red Girl begin to take on new dimension?
8. Name three "firsts" that Annie experiences in Chapter 3.
9. What inspires Annie to pen the words that get her in trouble in Chapter 5?
10. Who is Ma Chess and what surprises the John family when she shows up at the family home?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)