|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Annie in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 5, why does Annie do the thing that gets her in trouble?
(a) She likes to aggravate her teacher.
(b) She is a bad student.
(c) She is bored in class.
(d) She is daydreaming about the Red Girl.
3. Who issues Annie's punishment for her violation in Chapter 5?
(a) The school principal.
(b) The teacher.
(c) Mrs. John.
(d) The headmistress.
4. Where does the Obeah woman put cross marks in Chapter 7?
(a) On all the doors in the house.
(b) On Annie's feet, knees, stomach, armpits and forehead.
(c) On Annie's feet and hands.
(d) On Annie's feet, stomach and forehead.
5. What does Mrs. John's consultant conclude regarding Annie's illness in Chapter 7?
(a) The townswomen have cast evil spirits on the girl.
(b) The girl is evil herself.
(c) There are no evil spirits near the girl.
(d) The girl is fighting inner evil.
6. What is Annie's reason for leaving home in Chapter 8?
(a) To recuperate for vacation.
(b) To study to become a nurse.
(c) To get married.
(d) To get away from her horrible mother.
7. What is Annie's class studying in Chapter 5?
(a) Columbus' discovery of the Americas.
(b) The perimeter of a rhombus.
(c) Columbus' discovery of Dominica.
(d) The space shuttle Columbus.
8. How does Annie feel about her plans in Chapter 8?
(a) She is excited about her trip to Antigua and hopes to get married there.
(b) She doesn't want to go to England or be a nurse, but she does want change.
(c) She loves adventure and cannot wait to get to North America.
(d) She looks forward to meeting her grandmother in Dominica and spending the summer there.
9. What does Mr. John's consultant find wrong with Annie in Chapter 7?
(a) She is deficient in iron.
(b) Seasonal Affected Disorder.
(d) She has allergies.
10. How many candles does the Obeah woman light around Annie in Chapter 7?
11. What is the reason for the new girl's trouble in the subject in Chapter 5?
(a) Her ancestors were masters of the lands so she didn't have the islanders' perspective.
(b) She couldn't correctly pronounce the words.
(c) She saw no need in understanding American history.
(d) Spanish was not an easy subject for her.
12. What does Annie's mother say as she sends her daughter off on the trip?
(a) That she loves her and good luck making a new home.
(b) That she loves her and good luck.
(c) That she will always love her and this is always her home.
(d) That she will understand someday.
13. How long is Annie sick in Chapter 7?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 1 week.
14. What does Annie's textbook picture in Chapter 5?
(a) Columbus shaking hands with the king.
(b) Columbus setting sail on the Mayflower.
(c) Columbus talking with Native Americans.
(d) Columbus shackled.
15. Why has school changed for Annie in Chapter 6?
(a) Her favorite teacher dies.
(b) She is elevated to another grade level.
(c) She changes schools.
(d) She is held back a year due to behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Annie says when she hates someone she...
2. Which friend does Annie feel obligated to see before leaving in Chapter 8?
3. What is the topic of a play written by Mineau and Annie when they were younger children?
4. What does Annie wear for her trip that has been blessed by the Obeah woman?
5. What does Annie realize as she sits in her room in Chapter 8?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)