|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three things does Annie say she's tired of in Chapter 8?
(a) Long droughts, school and illness.
(b) Endless sunshine, the smell of the sea, and her parents.
(c) Endless sunshine, the smells of the market and her parents.
(d) Heavy rains, long droughts and the townspeople.
2. How long is Annie sick in Chapter 7?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 3 months.
3. In Chapter 5, what inspires Annie's thoughts regarding the incident that got her into trouble?
(a) A comment made by Mrs. John to Mrs. John.
(b) A comment Annie heard her aunt say.
(c) A letter Mrs. John wrote.
(d) A comment Mrs. John made to Mr. John.
4. What does Annie's mother serve her for breakfast in Chapter 7, hoping to get her to eat?
(a) Bread and jam with guava juice.
(b) Bread and cheese slices with chocolate milk.
(c) Bread and butter with chocolate milk.
(d) Bread with cheese spread and chocolate milk.
5. Who walks home with Annie after school in Chapter 6?
(b) No one.
6. What is the topic of a play written by Mineau and Annie when they were younger children?
(a) A shipwreck.
(b) A murder trial and hanging of a man who killed his girlfriend and her lover.
(c) A murder trial of pirates who once ruled the island.
(d) A fire at the Red Girl's house.
7. In Chapter 6, Annie says when she hates someone she...
(a) Vexes them with Obeah curses.
(b) Tells them face to face.
(c) Makes their lives miserable.
(d) Imagines them dead.
8. What gets Annie in trouble in Chapter 5?
(a) Ripping out a page in her text book.
(b) Falling asleep in class.
(c) Writing a caption in her book.
(d) Speaking out of turn in class.
9. Which building means the most to Annie as she grows up in this community?
(a) The market.
(b) The library.
(c) The funeral home.
(d) The fish market.
10. What is Annie's physical condition at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) She is healthy.
(b) She has chicken pox and misses school immediately.
(c) She has measles but is contagious when she goes to school.
(d) She is ill, but still goes to school.
11. What does Annie's mother say as she sends her daughter off on the trip?
(a) That she loves her and good luck.
(b) That she will always love her and this is always her home.
(c) That she will understand someday.
(d) That she loves her and good luck making a new home.
12. What exactly is the illustration Annie discusses in her textbook in Chapter 5?
(a) Columbus being burned at the stake.
(b) Columbus being shipped back to the king and queen of Spain by the Dominicans.
(c) Columbus being honored with a Thanksgiving meal.
(d) Columbus launching his boats to set sail to the new world.
13. What does Mr. John's consultant find wrong with Annie in Chapter 7?
(a) She has allergies.
(b) She is deficient in iron.
(c) Seasonal Affected Disorder.
14. What class status does Annie achieve in all her subjects in Chapter 6?
(a) First in all classes.
(b) Class clown.
(c) Either first or second in each class.
(d) Teacher's pet.
15. How does Mrs. John treat Annie's illness in Chapter 7?
(a) She sends her to stand in the cleansing rain.
(b) She takes her to Rat Island to be healed.
(c) She sends her to bed to rest.
(d) She punishes her and makes her stay in her room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie's father think she is sick?
2. What class subject does Annie earn honors for in Chapter 5?
3. Why was Annie's teacher so upset with her in Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 5, where is the new girl in Annie's school from?
5. Which curriculum does Annie's school follow?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)