|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Annie and her mother add to their "special" baths?
(a) Oatmeal and milk.
(b) Water blessed by the Obeah woman.
(c) Flowers, tree bark, and oils.
(d) Bubble solution.
2. What does Annie wonder while walking home from the dead girl's funeral in Chapter 1?
(a) If the dead girl knows Annie was there.
(b) If the dead girl will come for her.
(c) If the dead girl could hear the people at the funeral.
(d) If the girl was really, truly dead.
3. What does Annie believe will happen if she points at a dead person?
(a) Her fingers will drop off.
(c) Her finger will create sparks.
(d) Her hand will burn.
4. Which row does Annie sit on in her new classroom in Chapter 3?
5. What kind of gifts does Annie buy her Chapter 4 friend?
(a) Combs, ribbons and pins.
(b) Roses and stationery for a going away present.
(c) Paper, envelopes and pens.
(d) An address book for her departure.
6. Which neighbor dies in Chapter 1?
(a) Miss Charlotte.
(b) Miss Sonia.
(c) Ma Chess.
7. What excuses does Annie use to sneak away to meet her new friend in Chapter 4?
(a) Needs to stretch her legs or do onsite research for art.
(b) Needs to meet Gwen to study.
(c) Needs to meet Sonia at the library for an art project.
(d) Needs to go for a jog.
8. In Annie's dream, what do she and her friend do for fun after the shipwreck?
(a) Go to the movies.
(b) Eat forbidden fruit on the island.
(c) Cause other ships to crash by sending confusing signals.
(d) Play hopscotch.
9. What kind of tree is Annie trying to get fruit from in Chapter 4?
10. What does the teacher do with Annie's essay in Chapter 3?
(a) Puts a sticky star on it.
(b) Criticizes it in class in front of all the students.
(c) Sends it home.
(d) Puts it on a library shelf for other students to use as reference.
11. How does Annie feel in response to her teacher's reaction to the first essay she wrote in Chapter 3?
(c) Lightheaded with joy.
12. Why doesn't Annie like the essays her classmates write in Chapter 3?
(a) They are based on true stories.
(b) They are too long.
(c) They are not factual.
(d) They are frivolous and superficial.
13. What is Annie obsessed with in Chapter 1?
(b) Playing marbles.
14. What is Annie's punishment for lying to her mother in Chapter 1?
(a) She has to do the dishes all by herself.
(b) She has to eat outside alone and her mother does not kiss her goodnight.
(c) She had to listen to her mother rant and rave for about an hour.
(d) She has to go straight to bed after eating dinner.
15. In Chapter 1, who tucks Annie in on the night she is punished for lying?
(a) No one.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special items are in Mrs. John's travel trunk now?
2. What color hair does the girl have that Annie meets in Chapter 4?
3. Which seat in the classroom is Annie's favorite?
4. On which island do Mrs. John's parents live?
5. Why won't Annie let her mother touch her?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)