|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annie's mother teach her at the market?
(a) How to negotiate a better price.
(b) How to buy the best fish, fruit, and butter.
(c) How to sell crafts they make together.
(d) Which grains to buy for their special bath.
2. What special items are in Mrs. John's travel trunk now?
(a) Heirloom silverware.
(b) Memories from her own childhood.
(c) Her wedding dress.
(d) Memories from Annie's life.
3. Why does Annie stop playing with the dunce girl?
(a) She doesn't like the girl's poor manners.
(b) All the answers are correct.
(c) She is tired of the other girls making fun of her for being the girl's friend.
(d) It seems shameful that her mother died and leaves the girl alone.
4. Who does Annie meet for the first time at the fruit tree in Chapter 4?
(c) The Red Girl.
5. How does Annie know her way around the new school in Chapter 3?
(a) Gwen helps her.
(b) She has a map.
(c) She has a student guide showing her around.
(d) She and her mother toured it a week earlier.
6. Who bathes and dresses Nalda for her funeral?
(a) Mrs. John.
(b) Nalda's own mother.
(c) The Obeah woman.
7. In Chapter 1, what has almost everyone else at school seen that Annie has not?
(a) A dead person.
(b) A famous person.
(c) A television set.
(d) An Obeah woman.
8. Why does Mr. John bathe in cold water?
(a) Cold water soothes the bruises he gets from work.
(b) He believes it will strengthen his back.
(c) Cold water doesn't irritate his skin.
(d) There's no way to heat the water.
9. Who sits in front of Annie in class in Chapter 3?
10. Who builds Nalda's coffin?
(a) Nalda's mother.
(b) Mr. John.
(c) Nalda's father.
(d) The mortician.
11. How is the community notified of a death?
(a) On the local radio station.
(b) A town crier makes the announcement.
(c) The church bell tolls.
(d) In the newspaper's obituary section.
12. What is Annie's first assignment at school in Chapter 3?
(a) To give an impromptu presentation about herself.
(b) To write a biography book report.
(c) To write an essay about her summer activites.
(d) To write an autobiographical essay.
13. Which seat in the classroom is Annie's favorite?
(a) The middle one on the back row.
(b) The front, left seat.
(c) The one in front of the teacher.
(d) The one on the third row.
14. What kind of tree is Annie trying to get fruit from in Chapter 4?
15. What is Annie's reaction to the first dead person she sees?
(c) Indifferent because she'd never seen that person alive.
(d) Pleased that the dead person simply looked like a resting live person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Annie's response when confronted about playing marbles at school in Chapter 4?
2. Which neighbor dies in Chapter 1?
3. How does Annie feel in response to her teacher's reaction to the first essay she wrote in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 3, what is the only real happy time Annie has?
5. Why won't Annie let her mother touch her?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)