1. Why is Annie afraid of dead people in Chapter 1?
In Chapter 1, Annie fears dead people because you never know where they'll turn up. She thinks if they see her, they will try to get her to join them in their dead world.
2. Why does Mrs. John prepare her friend's daughter for burial in Chapter 1?
In Chapter 1, Mrs. John prepares her friend's daughter for burial because undertakers did not prepare children. Family or friends had to take on the task.
3. What is Annie's belief regarding dead people in Chapter 1?
Annie believes that only people she doesn't know die.
4. Why doesn't Annie speak to Sonia after the death of the girl's mother?
Annie thinks it's shameful that Sonia's mother died and left her alone.
5. What helps Annie visualize how Miss Charlotte must look dead?
Annie saw Miss Charlotte asleep once. That is as close to imagining her dead as she could get.
This section contains 2,231 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)