• A 10-year-old girl thinks about death and dying as the family stays at another home while their roof is being repaired.
• From the yard of the girl's house, she can see a cemetery and specks of people in the distance.
• The girl's mother explains that when the people are at the cemetery early in the morning, they are burying children.
• The girl expresses her fear of dead people.
• The girl and her family move back to their house on Dickinson Bay Street -- no cemetery in sight.
• Nalda, the daughter of her mother's friend, dies.
• The girl's father builds Nalda's coffin.
• The girl's mother bathes and dresses Nalda for burial since undertakers won't dress children.
• The girl's best friend, Sonia, is a dunce, but the girl helps her with homework and spelling her own name.
• The girl buys Sonia treats with money she takes from her mother's...
This section contains 1,888 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)