|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Anne and Peter finally do on April 28th?
2. Why does Anne think Peter and she are not so different?
3. How does Anne describe her hair?
4. Of which Peter does Anne dream?
5. What does Peter think would be easier to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the differences in the conversations that the men have versus the women? About what do they each talk?
2. Anne is beginning to develop into a young woman. Give two examples of how the reader can see this in the diary entries.
3. Describe the scene with Bosche and Peter.
4. On February 12, 1944, Anne's mood changes and the reader sees some of the most positive writing of the entire diary. To what does Anne compare herself?
5. Anne and Peter's relationship is starting to change. What are three things that Peter does that make him seem like he might like Anne more?
6. What does Anne's father think about Anne and Peter? How do his feelings change?
7. Why is Anne upset with her mother on March 17, 1944? What things is Mrs. Frank asking of her daughter?
8. How does Peter say that Anne helps him? How does Anne respond in her diary?
9. Anne decides she has learned how to get along with Mrs. Van Daan. What are some of the qualities that Anne appreciates in Mrs. Van Daan now?
10. What is The Free Netherlands and what does this group do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Anne try to become closer to Peter Van Daan in the first place? Is it because of fear of not growing up and finding love? Or does Anne have other motivations for bringing Peter into her world?
What about Peter? What are his motivations for being with Anne, if only for a little while?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Miep, Elli, and Mr. Koophuis all willingly decide to help the Franks and the other occupants in the hiding place? What do they gain from helping? What do they stand to lose?
Essay Topic 3
Anne believed that people should have rebelled against Hitler as the injustices began to reveal themselves. This brings up a good point about accountability in the face of evil.
1. Why didn't more people stand up to Hitler and the SS?
2. Was hiding people active resistance or simply a fearful reaction?
3. What, if anything, could those hiding in the Annexe have done to fight the rise of Hitler?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)