|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I don't want to be cross, love can not be forced?"
2. What does Anne mean by shank's mare?
3. What did Anne and her family do to avoid carrying bags and calling attention to themselves?
4. What does Dussel decide to do with this free time and skills?
5. Which is NOT a title of an essay that Anne has to write as a punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. At school, what does Anne bring for her classmates?
2. Why does Anne's father want to give her a Bible? Why does he decide to give it to her on St. Nicolas Day?
3. What do Margot and Anne do for Elli? Do they enjoy these tasks?
4. Describe some of Anne's difficulties with her new male roommate.
5. Describe Anne's feelings about having a diary.
6. Describe the scene with Mr. Dussel and Mrs. Van Daan.
7. Anne has a favorite parent, who is it? What does Anne think of this parent's actions toward Margot?
8. Why does Anne say that Jews and Germans are the greatest enemies in the world?
9. With whom is Anne friends?
10. What happens when Mrs. Van Daan is upset by the loud noises outside, but can not find her husband to calm her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hiding in the secret area meant changing the way that everyone was used to living. Give examples of different ways that each of the following were affected by being in hiding:
Essay Topic 2
Anne is growing into a woman as the pages of her diary progress, but it doesn't seem that Anne is happy with how this is happening.
1. What are some of the main events what take place in Anne's transformation into a woman?
2. How does Anne see herself growing up?
3. What are Margot's expectations of Anne?
4. What are Mrs. Frank's expectations?
5. What are Mr. Frank's expectations?
Essay Topic 3
Writing and communication are important parts of Anne's life, from her dream to be a journalist to her later comments about wanting to record events.
1. How does Anne change from the beginning of her diary to the end in relation to her writing?
2. How does Anne's communication with others change?
3. How does Anne use writing to change the inner world of the Annexe and her relationships?
4. Why does she even write in the first place?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)