|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anne go to school?
2. When did the Van Daans arrive?
3. Who offers his bed to Mrs. Van Daan when she is frightened?
4. What did Anne NOT receive?
5. What holidays arrive just one day apart in 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Anne's fountain pen?
2. Why does Anne's father want to give her a Bible? Why does he decide to give it to her on St. Nicolas Day?
3. Describe Anne's feelings about having a diary.
4. Anne gets news of the outside world and what is happening to the Jews who are caught. What are some of the things that are happening?
5. Describe Anne's impressions of Mrs. Van Daan.
6. What did Anne have to do when she was scolded for talking? How many times did she have to do this task?
7. What happens when Mrs. Van Daan is upset by the loud noises outside, but can not find her husband to calm her?
8. Describe the scene with Mr. Van Daan and the sausage.
9. How does the group celebrate Mrs. Van Daan's birthday?
10. Anne decides that her diary should be addressed as though it were a friend. How does she decide to do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hiding in the secret area meant changing the way that everyone was used to living. Give examples of different ways that each of the following were affected by being in hiding:
Essay Topic 2
Anne believed that people should have rebelled against Hitler as the injustices began to reveal themselves. This brings up a good point about accountability in the face of evil.
1. Why didn't more people stand up to Hitler and the SS?
2. Was hiding people active resistance or simply a fearful reaction?
3. What, if anything, could those hiding in the Annexe have done to fight the rise of Hitler?
Essay Topic 3
Food is an important part of the power struggle in the Annexe.
1. Give examples of how the dwindling rations affected the occupants of the Annexe.
2. Mrs. Van Daan is thought to be having more than her share. How does this affect everyone else?
3. What do the occupants do to get more food?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)