|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne mean by shank's mare?
2. What bites Peter?
3. What name does Anne give the secret hiding place?
4. What is Westerbork?
5. What did Anne and her family do to avoid carrying bags and calling attention to themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Anne gets news of the outside world and what is happening to the Jews who are caught. What are some of the things that are happening?
2. Anne believes it's very important to write in code and takes measures to learn to do so. What does she sign up for?
3. Anne upsets her mother very much by something she says. What does Anne say to her mother? What does Anne's mother reply?
4. What do the Franks do in preparation for moving into their hiding place?
5. What makes Anne's hands shake terribly? What has happened at the Annexe?
6. Why does Anne say that Jews and Germans are the greatest enemies in the world?
7. What happens when Mrs. Van Daan is upset by the loud noises outside, but can not find her husband to calm her?
8. Describe the Secret Annexe.
9. The Jews are restricted in many ways during this time of the second World Wars. What are some of the restrictions that Anne acknowledges?
10. Describe the scene with Mr. Van Daan and the sausage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of her diary, Anne has romantic thoughts about love, and she lists a number of crushes she has. How does her outlook on love change as she lives in the Annexe? Focus specifically on her relationship with Peter.
Also, why does she start to combine her relationship with Peter Wessel with Peter Van Daan? How does this seem to help her manage her feelings about both boys?
Essay Topic 2
While Anne's diary speaks about injustices done to her as she lives among everyone, she also shares a lot of the blame for conflicts which take place.
1. What might annoy others about Anne?
2. What does Anne do that might cause more conflict than necessary?
3. How does Anne mature as the diary goes on?
Essay Topic 3
Being so close together, tensions often flared in the Annexe. But since Anne is the only reporter of these tensions, it's hard to see how others felt about her.
1. What do you think Mrs. Van Daan felt about Anne? Why?
2. What do you think Mrs. Frank felt about Anne? Why?
3. What do you think Peter felt about Anne? Why?
4. What do you think Mr. Dussel thought about Anne? Why?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)