|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes to Anne in Chapter 24?
2. What does Anne realize after hearing the news about Gilbert in Chapter 40?
3. What is Valley Road apparently known for?
4. Who is Christine?
5. How does Janet treat Anne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shows the depth of Philippa's character and her change in personality and values in Chapter 27?
2. How does Gilbert know he must try to propose to Anne again?
3. What bothers Anne at the party and what does it tell the reader in Chapter 26?
4. Why is Janet crying in Chapter 33?
5. After Anne gets paid ten dollars for a publication, what do we learn about Anne?
6. Why is Anne herself shocked when she rejects Roy's proposal?
7. Why is Davy being dramatic in Chapter 28?
8. How does Anne finally realize she loves Gilbert?
9. What does Janet say Anne will learn with age?
10. What is Anne still in denial about in Chapter 23 and how do we know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One particularly interesting relationship is the relationship between Anne and Davy. Sometimes Anne is like a sister to Davy, other times like a mother. Discuss the relationship between these two. How are they like brother and sister? How are they like mother and son? What does how Anne interacts with Davy tell us about her? What does how Davy interacts with Anne tell us about him? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
The ideal love and romance is any girl's fantasy. Even Anne has her own ideas about it. Discuss what it means to dream about an ideal romance or an ideal man/woman. What is Anne's ideal? What is Philippa's? Are these girls realistic in what they want? Do they eventually get their ideal man or are they with someone completely different? What does it say about them? How are they brought from their dreams to reality? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
There are several males in the novel who help in moving the plot forward. Choose one of the following characters to fully analyze. Be sure to discuss the character's personality, relationship with others, and how he has changed throughout the novel. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your claims.
(c) John Douglas
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)