|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do Anne and Priscilla meet in Chapter 10?
2. What is the result of the church outing for Davy and Dora?
3. Which of the following is NOT a reason for why Davy and Dora are getting ready to go to church by themselves in Chapter 13?
4. What does Anne find out about Ruby?
5. Who does Anne meet when she arrives in Kingsport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anne bored when she goes home for Christmas break in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Gilbert want to show Anne houses created by millionaires in Chapter 6?
3. What does Ruby tell Anne in Chapter 14 and what does Anne understand from it?
4. How do Anne and Priscilla finally get a sense of belonging in college?
5. After the party in Chapter 2, who do Anne and Gilbert walk home with and why?
6. Briefly compare and contrast Davy and Dora in Chapter 13.
7. Why does Philippa need reassurance about her appearance in Chapter 19?
8. What demonstrates that Philippa has slowly changed in Chapter 10?
9. What incident in Chapter 13 shows that Anne is in touch with children?
10. What small incident occurs with Davy in Chapter 7 and what does this indicate about Anne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Anne is the heroine of the novel, then Gilbert is certainly the hero. Analyze Gilbert as a character and whether he truly fits the bill of the main male character. Discuss what it means for a male character to be the main male character in a novel. Compare Gilbert from the beginning of the novel to the end. What are his character quirks and how does he change throughout the novel, if at all? What is his relationship with other characters and what does this indicate to the reader about him? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
A running plot device in the novel is the relationship Anne has with male suitors and their proposals. Analyze each situation in which Anne is proposed to as well as each of her relationships to the men in her life who show romantic interest in her. Compare and contrast the relationships and be sure to comment on Anne's change in character as time moves forward. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
There are several females in the novel who help in moving the plot forward. Choose one of the following characters to fully analyze. Be sure to discuss the character's personality, relationship with others, and how she has changed throughout the novel. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your claims.
(a) Aunt Jamesina
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)