|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Davy do that horrifies his sister?
2. What shows that Mrs. Lynde has a soft side?
3. What does Anne decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
4. Who is asked to join a fraternity?
5. Who is having a birthday in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Anne feels around Gilbert in Chapter 18.
2. What does Philippa's letter to Anne say, and what does it indicate about Philippa's character?
3. Describe Gilbert in Chapter 5. What events occur and what does it say about him?
4. Why is Anne bored when she goes home for Christmas break in Chapter 18?
5. What is the incident in regards to Anne's writing that occurs in Chapter 15?
6. Why does Philippa need reassurance about her appearance in Chapter 19?
7. Describe the academic standing of Anne, Philippa, Gilbert and Priscilla and what it tells the reader about them in Chapter 7.
8. What are the girls learning by living in their new home at Patty's Place in Chapter 16?
9. What do we learn about Anne with her refusal to go with Philippa to her home?
10. What is the story behind Rusty the cat in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several females in the novel who help in moving the plot forward. Choose one of the following characters to fully analyze. Be sure to discuss the character's personality, relationship with others, and how she has changed throughout the novel. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your claims.
(a) Aunt Jamesina
Essay Topic 2
Anne Shirley is the main character of the novel. Analyze her as a character by choosing three specific characteristics about her to break down. For example, you can choose to talk about how Anne is enthusiastic about life by using the example of her excitement about Patty's Place. Each characteristic must be backed up by support.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life of L.M. Montgomery. How did she come up with the idea for the series? Is any of it based on her own experiences? Did she write the stories based on her time period or another? What was her life like and how did she find success as an author? Write this essay as though it were a mini-biography.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)