|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls fail at doing in Chapter 16?
2. What season does Chapter 17 start off in?
3. In Chapter 8, with whom is Anne with?
4. What does Anne think it means to be twenty years old?
5. What is one of the topics of discussion between Anne and Diana in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Philippa need reassurance about her appearance in Chapter 19?
2. After the party in Chapter 2, who do Anne and Gilbert walk home with and why?
3. What do we learn about Anne with her refusal to go with Philippa to her home?
4. What do Anne and Diana think about the future in regards to their friendship and what does it show about each character in Chapter 1?
5. How do Anne and Priscilla finally get a sense of belonging in college?
6. What does the reader learn about Anne's character through her attempts to get published in Chapter 11?
7. What does Philippa's letter to Anne say, and what does it indicate about Philippa's character?
8. What demonstrates that Philippa has slowly changed in Chapter 10?
9. Describe Gilbert in Chapter 5. What events occur and what does it say about him?
10. What makes Anne upset in Chapter 2 and what does she want to prove because of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Davy is a very important minor character in the novel. He is the tiny rebel with a conscience. Analyze Davy as a character. Who is he and what is his personality? How does he change throughout the novel? Why is he the way he is? What is his relationship with other characters and what does this indicate to the reader about him? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
One particularly interesting relationship is the relationship between Anne and Davy. Sometimes Anne is like a sister to Davy, other times like a mother. Discuss the relationship between these two. How are they like brother and sister? How are they like mother and son? What does how Anne interacts with Davy tell us about her? What does how Davy interacts with Anne tell us about him? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Philippa is a new character introduced in the novel whom the reader knows was not from Anne's childhood. But she quickly becomes an important part of Anne's life. Discuss and analyze Philippa's character. What is her personality and quirks? What are her flaws and her interests? How does she interact with other characters and what does it say about her? Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your claims.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)