|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Josie Pye do which all the little girls admired?
2. What does Anne tell Marilla she'd like to be when she grows up?
3. What did Carrie Sloane dare Ruby Gillis to do at Diana's party?
4. How old is Anne in Chapter 5?
5. What kind of dress does Anne wish she could have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disaster happens when Marilla has the new minister and his wife to tea?
2. Why is Marilla hesitant to ship Anne off to live with Mrs. Peter Blewett?
3. What kind of welcome does Anne receive after returning to school?
4. Why does Marilla go to Charlottetown in Chapter 18?
5. Describe the new kindred spirit Anne meets in Chapter 21.
6. What does Anne tell Marilla when Marilla asks her about herself?
7. Describe Mrs. Rachel Lynde who appears in Chapter 1.
8. What is the important message Diana has Anne signal with five flashes of the candle in the window?
9. How does Anne ask Mrs. Lynde to forgive her for calling Mrs. Lynde rude, impolite and unfeeling?
10. What is Anne all excited about in Chapter 13 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Write a description of Anne's story "The Jealous Rival". Tell the whole story, naming the main characters. What did you think of it?
2) Describe the story club Anne organizes. Who is in it? What kind of stories do they write?
3) Describe Anne's run-in with the German peddler. What does she buy and what happens?
4) Choose one of the above three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) What romance of her youth does Marilla share with Anne near the end of the book? How does it parallel Anne's experience? How would
Marilla's life and character been changed if her romance had ended in marriage?
2) Do you think Gilbert and Anne will eventually get married? Why? If they do, do you think it will be a happy marriage?
3) How does Mrs. Allan comfort Anne when Matthew dies and Anne feels she shouldn't be happy or she would be disloyal to Matthew?
Do you agree with Mrs. Allan?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe Anne's first day at Sunday School. Include mention of Miss Rogerson, the Sunday school teacher, Mr. Bell , the Sunday School
superintendent and the minister.
2) Describe the incident of the amethyst brooch.
3) Describe what happens when Gilbert Blythe calls Anne carrots in school. What does she do? What does Mr. Phillips, the teacher, do?
Why is this such an important event in the book?
4) Write on one of the three topics.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)