|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Anne on her birthday in Chapter 26?
2. Who realized first that Matthew had died?
(b) the doctor
(c) the hired hand, Martin
(d) Mrs. Rachel Lynde
3. What did the doctor say had caused Matthew's death?
(a) a sudden shock
(b) too much hard work
(d) He had been ill with the flu.
4. Though Aunt Josephine's house was splendid, what did Anne think it lacked?
(a) There was no scope for imagination there.
(b) It didn't have a beautiful view from the big windows.
(c) The furniture was stiff and uncomfortable.
(d) It was cold and not cozy.
5. Who was the pale, spiritual-looking "dream girl" with whom Anne became friendly at Queen's?
(a) Priscilla Grant
(b) Stephanie Harder
(c) STella Maynard
(d) Camilla Harper
6. Why did Anne think she might have a chance at winning the Avery scholarship?
(a) She had studied so hard that year.
(b) She felt it was her destiny.
(c) It was in English
(d) She felt she was smarter than the other students.
7. What did the oculist tell Marilla about her eyes?
(a) Her eyesight had improved greatly.
(b) Crying would be good. It would bathe her eyes.
(c) If she weren't careful she'd be stone blind in six months.
(d) She could read and sew but not as often.
8. What does Matthew do when he goes to town to buy a dress for Anne?
(a) In his shyness he buys a rake and brown sugar instead.
(b) He turns back home before reaching town out of fear.
(c) He buys material for a seamstress to make a dress.
(d) He buys a dress he doesn't like.
9. Who is going to be the Fairy Queen in the Christmas concert?
(a) Josie Pye
(b) Jane Andrews
(c) Ruby Gillis
(d) Diana Barry
10. Who sold Anne the hair dye?
(a) An Italian peddler
(b) A gypsy
(c) A German peddler
(d) An Hungarian peddler
11. What did Anne recite at the concert?
(a) A poem by Emily Dickenson
(b) How Do I Love Thee
(c) a Shakespeare sonnet
(d) The Maiden's Vow
12. What did Diana do right after Anne had departed for Queen's?
(a) went to her room and vowed she'd never be happy again
(b) sat down and wrote a long letter to Anne
(c) dried her tears and went to a beach picnic at White Sands
(d) said a prayer for Anne and thanked God she had met her
13. What kind of flowers did Anne put around him in his coffin?
(a) white lilies, tulips and daffodils
(b) Anne's favorite spring flowers
(c) flowers Marilla had picked in the Green Gables garden
(d) his beloved flowers his mother had planted in her bridal days
14. What kind of flowers was Anne carrying when she and Marilla saw Matthew fall across the threshold?
(a) lilies of the valley
(b) a bouquet of white tulips
(c) white narcissus
(d) yellow daffodils
15. What was Anne's immediate reaction to Matthew's death?
(a) a flood of tears
(b) She ran out into the night to be close to nature.
(c) the need to have Diana stay overnight with her
(d) tearless agony
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anne's nom de plume?
2. Why did Marilla cry when she listened to Anne recite "The Maiden's Vow" for her and Matthew?
3. In Chapter 24 what does Anne contemplate becoming when she grows up?
4. What was Marilla looking forward to on her way home from the Aid meeting?
5. What difference did Matthew observe about Anne when he compared her to her girlfriends?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)