|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Anne's immediate reaction to Matthew's death?
(a) the need to have Diana stay overnight with her
(b) a flood of tears
(c) She ran out into the night to be close to nature.
(d) tearless agony
2. How much taller did Anne grow that summer?
(a) three inches
(b) two inches
(c) an inch and a half
(d) an inch
3. Though Aunt Josephine's house was splendid, what did Anne think it lacked?
(a) There was no scope for imagination there.
(b) The furniture was stiff and uncomfortable.
(c) It didn't have a beautiful view from the big windows.
(d) It was cold and not cozy.
4. What was Marilla looking forward to on her way home from the Aid meeting?
(a) finding a long-awaited letter waiting for her
(b) having a long conversation with Matthew
(c) preparing a nice meal for Anne and Matthew
(d) a crackling fire and a table nicely spread for tea by Anne
5. What does Matthew do when he goes to town to buy a dress for Anne?
(a) In his shyness he buys a rake and brown sugar instead.
(b) He buys a dress he doesn't like.
(c) He turns back home before reaching town out of fear.
(d) He buys material for a seamstress to make a dress.
6. What difference did Matthew observe about Anne when he compared her to her girlfriends?
(a) She was not dressed like the other girls.
(b) She was taller than the other girls.
(c) She was more talkative than the other girls.
(d) She was thinner than the other girls.
7. How does the reader once more realize that Gilbert Blythe is in love with Anne?
(a) He tells his best friend how much he cares about her.
(b) He puts a rose which fell from Anne's hair in his breast-pocket.
(c) He sends her an anonymous note.
(d) He claps the loudest when she recites.
8. What did Miss Stacy speak to the teen girls about when she took them down to the brook?
(a) the danger of falling in love too quickly
(b) the importance of the habits they acquired in their teens
(c) the importance of getting good grades in school
(d) the importance of getting enough sleep each night
9. Why did Anne think she might have a chance at winning the Avery scholarship?
(a) She felt she was smarter than the other students.
(b) It was in English
(c) She felt it was her destiny.
(d) She had studied so hard that year.
10. What did Anne want to win at Queen's at the end of the year?
(a) first in the class
(b) the Avery scholarship
(c) the Queen's scholarship
(d) a gold medal
11. How did Anne wind up the evening after hearing the exam results?
(a) with a party at Diana's house
(b) Marilla fixed her favorite meal and she went to bed early.
(c) talking with Mrs. Allan and then a prayer of gratitude and hope
(d) confiding her gratitude and joy to Marilla and Matthew
12. What is Anne's nom de plume?
(a) Rosamund Montmorency
(b) Aliana Camilla Babcock
(c) Christiana Golightly
(d) Geraldine Seymour
13. Who was the vivid, black-eyed "rose-red" girl Anne also made friends with at Queen's?
(a) Priscilla Grant
(b) Maureen Gillespie
(c) Molly McKenna
(d) Stella Maynard
14. Why wasn't Gilbert Blythe going to Redmond?
(a) His father couldn't afford to send him.
(b) His mother was sick.
(c) He decided to go to another college.
(d) He decided he didn't want to.
15. What did the boys in Anne's class do for nature study?
(a) caught tadpoles to bring to class to watch grow to frogs
(b) climbed the big trees for crows' nests
(c) caught trout in the stream near the school
(d) caught "wooly bears" to predict how long the winter would be
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Diana and Anne when Miss Stacy came to call?
2. What did the professional elocutionist look like?
3. How was Mr. Barry's flat adorned for Elaine's watery voyage?
4. At the Exhibition what did Josie Pye take first place at?
5. What does Mrs. Lynde disapprove of about the new young minister, Mr. Allan?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)