|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anne tell Marilla when Marilla asks her what her name is?
2. What does Anne call Mrs. Rachel Lynde?
(a) " a new-found friend and kindred spirit"
(b) "an old busybody and nuisance"
(c) "an ugly, old witch"
(d) " a rude, impolite, unfeeling woman"
3. What does Anne do when Marilla accuses her of losing Marilla's amethyst brooch?
(a) She falsely confesses to having dropped it in the lake.
(b) She gets angry and protests the accusation.
(c) She promises to save money and buy her another one.
(d) She dissolves into tears and asks for severe punishment.
4. What did Rachel Lynde hear from Marilla when she visited her?
(a) She heard that Marilla was inviting the minister to tea.
(b) She heard that Marilla's cow was missing.
(c) She heard that Marilla and Matthew were adopting a boy.
(d) She heard that Marilla wasn't feeling well.
5. What is Anne looking forward to doing after she finishes her lessons?
(a) writing in her diary
(b) building a snowman
(c) reading a book Jane loaned her
(d) baking a cake for Matthew
6. Who is Diana Barry?
(a) Anne's imaginary playmate
(b) a former friend at the asylum
(c) the minister's wife
(d) a dark-haired, dark-eyed little girl about Anne's age
7. Why is Anne reluctant to run over to Mrs Barry's house to pick up Diana's apron pattern for Marilla?
(a) She has too much homework to do.
(b) It's dark and Anne's afraid of "the Haunted Wood"
(c) She had promised Matthew to mend his shirt that evening.
(d) She's tired and doesn't feel well.
8. How does Anne view nature?
(a) She is oblivious to nature.
(b) She wishes she lived in the city away from nature.
(c) She knows all the Latin names for things.
(d) She gives woods, brooks, trees, flowers etc. personalities.
9. What does Mrs. Rachel Lynde say to Anne when she first sees her?
(a) She tells Anne to mind Marilla.
(b) She tells Anne she's welcome to visit her anytime.
(c) She's tells Anne she's glad she moved in with Marilla.
(d) She tells Anne she's homely, skinny with freckles and red hair.
10. What does Diana pass to Anne in school as a token of her love?
(a) a note and a large apple
(b) a poem she had written
(c) a note and a bunch of wild flowers
(d) a note and a bookmarker she had made
11. How old is Anne in Chapter 5?
12. What do we learn about Matthew Cuthbert in Chapter 2?
(a) We learn that he loves children, both boys and girls.
(b) We learn that he is a confident, boastful man.
(c) We learn that he had an unhappy love affair as a young man.
(d) We learn that he is painfully shy around girls and women.
13. What was Anne's responsibility when she lived with Mrs. Hammond?
(a) She did the cooking.
(b) She cared for Mrs. Hammond's eight children.
(c) She did the gardening.
(d) She cleaned house and did chores.
14. What does Anne dearly wish she had?
(a) her own dog
(b) a bosom friend, a kindred spirit to confide in
(c) a father and mother
(d) a horse to ride
15. What do all the girls in the class do when Mr. Phillips gives his farewell speech?
(a) They all give him little farewell gifts.
(b) They all cry, even Anne.
(c) They promise to write him letters.
(d) They all join in singing him a song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marilla do when she thinks Anne lost her amethyst brooch?
2. What does Anne call a person who feels as she does about things?
3. What mistake does Anne make when the minister and his wife come to tea?
4. Why did Anne go to bed speechless with misery at the beginning of Chapter 22?
5. What does Anne think of the new minister's wife?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)