|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Anne sit first on the first day of school?
(a) next to Diana Barry by the window
(b) next to Charlie Sloane who is sweet on her
(c) next to Tillie Boulter in the front of the class
(d) next to Ruby Gillis in the back of the room
2. What does Anne look like?
(a) She is a tall, thin girl with light brown hair and gray eyes.
(b) She has raven black hair and blue-violet eyes.
(c) She is a stocky, blonde girl with green eyes.
(d) She has long red braids and large, eager, luminous eyes.
3. What does Marilla decide to do with Anne so that she won't remain a heathen?
(a) read the bible to her every night
(b) make her memorize bible verses
(c) get suitable clothes and send her to Sunday school
(d) teach her the fear of the Lord
4. What did Carrie Sloane dare Ruby Gillis to do at Diana's party?
(a) swim across Barry's pond
(b) catch 20 grasshoppers
(c) climb to a point in the old caterpillar-infested willow tree
(d) dig a can of worms
5. What did the school children sing on their way home from picking spring flowers?
(a) "My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean"
(b) "Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair"
(c) "April Showers"
(d) "My Home on the Hill"
6. How old is Matthew?
7. What did Josie Pye do which all the little girls admired?
(a) She walked along the top of the Barrys' board fence
(b) She ate an ant.
(c) She swung high above the garden on a strong vine.
(d) She jumped off Diana's swing when it was very high.
8. What compliment on her looks does Anne receive the first day at school?
(a) that her eyes are lovely
(b) that she has a pretty nose
(c) that she has thick hair
(d) that her ears are perfectly formed
9. What did Anne say she would leave to Diana if she were killed?
(a) her books
(b) her diary
(c) her gold locket
(d) her pearl bead ring
10. What does Mrs. Lynde suggest that Marilla do to Anne?
(a) turn her over to Mrs. Blewett to care for her children
(b) send her back to the asylum in Nova Scotia
(c) swat her with a birch switch
(d) make her memorize 10 bible verses
11. How does Anne finally get permission to go to Diana's for her birthday?
(a) Matthew is adamant about Anne being able to go.
(b) Anne promised to be back at Green Gables before dark.
(c) She promised to do extra chores for Marilla
(d) Anne promises to be very well-behaved.
12. What profession did Anne's parents have?
(a) the owned a general store
(b) high school teachers
(c) college teachers
13. Who did Anne meet coming home from the station?
(a) Marilla and Matthew
(b) Diana's aunt Josephine
(c) the new minister and his wife
(d) Mrs. Rachel Lynde
14. What does the romantic Anne rename the 'Avenue', a scenic stretch of road lined with blossoming apple trees?
(a) "The Faierie's Way"
(b) "The Bridal Path"
(c) "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream"
(d) "White Way of Delight"
15. How does Anne view nature?
(a) She knows all the Latin names for things.
(b) She gives woods, brooks, trees, flowers etc. personalities.
(c) She is oblivious to nature.
(d) She wishes she lived in the city away from nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new word did Anne learn at the Sunday school picnic?
2. What does Mrs. Rachel Lynde say to Anne when she first sees her?
3. What was Matthew Cuthbert doing one June afternoon in Chapter 1 which he usually didn't do?
4. What seems to save Anne when she is tempted by disappointment and despair?
5. Why did Anne go to bed speechless with misery at the beginning of Chapter 22?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)