|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the the shy boy help Conchita carry out?
2. What was Juan Julian's family hiding from when he discovered books?
3. What does Palomo long for?
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term barb as used in the following sentence? The two characters used a third party to deliver barbs to each other.
5. How does Marela feel as she deals with the Santiago and Ofelia?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Conchita say that Palomo will understand?
2. What happens with the first Anna Karenina cigar?
3. How does Chechy feel about his behavior?
4. What would be an accurate description of Santiago and Chechy as they are first introduced?
5. What does Santiago say about Ofelia's slippers?
6. What differences does Juan Julian describe to the workers and how does he explain them?
7. What is Chechy's suggestion to solve Palomo's problem?
8. What does Conchita chide Palomo about?
9. How does Conchita describe the experience of making love with Juan Julian?
10. What announcement does Santiago make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe about superstitions? Do you think Marela was right to follow her own superstition about Juan Julian's spirit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Considering that Santiago and Chechy are half-brothers why does Chechy seem more careful to look out after his own interests? Do you think this is appropriate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, the author quotes from the book "What would be the sense of killing a man in order to define one's own relations with a woman..." Why do you think Karenin found this to be a senseless act? Why do you think Chechy did not find this to be a senseless act?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)