|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are often the sites where semi-pagan rituals are carried out?
2. What does Marela think reading the book might accomplish?
3. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term barb as used in the following sentence? The two characters used a third party to deliver barbs to each other.
4. What does Marela eventually do?
5. Which of the following have Conchita and Palomo lost in their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Palomo ask Conchita to show him?
2. What does Juan Julian say he would like to learn?
3. When does Conchita say that Palomo will understand?
4. What does Conchita chide Palomo about?
5. What ritual does Conchita explain to Juan Julian?
6. What would be an accurate description of Santiago and Chechy as they are first introduced?
7. Why have Palomo and Conchita come to the factory?
8. What and why does Santiago carve something into the sole of his half-brother's shoe?
9. What does Chechy tell Ofelia about her husband and how does she react?
10. What does Palomo complain about and why is it bothering him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of hand rolling cigars including how it developed through the history described by Juan Julian. Do you think the Spaniards were right? What changes do you think might have been different had they not overtaken the natives?
Essay Topic 2
Prohibition was briefly talked about toward the end of the play. What do you think were the reasons for the passage and repealing of the amendment about prohibition? Do you agree with the reasons the characters in the novel stated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that someone reading or watching this play needs to understand the novel Anna Karenina to better understand the play? Why or why not?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)