|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lector's role in a Cuban cigar factory?
2. Who performs the burial for Conchita?
3. What letter does Santiago carve?
4. What does Ofelia want to do, though she agrees to continue to talk about the book some more?
5. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term barb as used in the following sentence? The two characters used a third party to deliver barbs to each other.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is bothering Ofelia and what does she say about it?
2. What does Chechy accuse Marela of after Santiago leaves?
3. When does Conchita say that Palomo will understand?
4. What does Palomo ask Conchita to show him?
5. What happens when Marela stays behind alone with Juan Julian?
6. What differences does Juan Julian describe to the workers and how does he explain them?
7. How does act 2 scene 3 open?
8. What are Chechy and Ofelia arguing about?
9. What does Marela indicate is the responsibility of the living?
10. What is Marela wearing when she enters the factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Marela would always leave as Chechy approached her? What do you think Chechy wanted? How do you think he felt as Juan Julian told Marela she was beautiful?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the author uses a reference to Clara Bow? Do you believe it is important? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Considering that Santiago and Chechy are half-brothers why does Chechy seem more careful to look out after his own interests? Do you think this is appropriate? Why or why not?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)