|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the boy from New England find the ritual he helps Conchita with?
2. What was Juan Julian's family hiding from when he discovered books?
3. How does Juan Julian feel?
4. What does Juan Julian talk to Conchita and Marela about?
5. Who steps in to break up the clash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be an accurate description of Santiago and Chechy as they are first introduced?
2. What does Conchita chide Palomo about?
3. How is information from the book heard while Juan Julian and Conchita make love?
4. Why have Palomo and Conchita come to the factory?
5. What character does Chechy identify with in the novel and why?
6. What are Chechy and Ofelia arguing about?
7. What does the character Karenin want to do in regards to Vronsky?
8. Whose side of the issue does Santiago take and how does he solve it?
9. What does Palomo demand to know from Conchita?
10. What information did the women have about the new lector?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the author uses a reference to Clara Bow? Do you believe it is important? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What part does nature play in this novel? Do you think it is an important theme? Why or why not? What about the role of tradition? Which is more important? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is this play similar to the novel Anna Karenina? In what ways is it different? Why do you think the author made it this way?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)