|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chechy feel about his behavior?
2. What does Juan Julian suggest Conchita do with her cutting?
3. What does Juan Julian compare Tampa to?
4. How does Ofelia react to what Chechy tells him?
5. What does Chechy tell Ofelia about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences does Juan Julian describe to the workers and how does he explain them?
2. What information did the women have about the new lector?
3. What was Clara Bow known for?
4. What does Palomo demand to know from Conchita?
5. What is going on between Santiago and Ofelia at the opening of scene four?
6. What character does Chechy identify with in the novel and why?
7. What ritual does Conchita explain to Juan Julian?
8. How does Conchita describe her relationship with Juan Julian to Palomo?
9. What is Marela still wearing three days after the tragedy?
10. What does Juan Julian say he would like to learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Conchita believe lovers out to behave? Do you think she believes that it is important for women to have more than one lover? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the role of lector is important in Cuban cigar factories? Do you think there are other jobs that someone like a lector could be important? If so, what jobs? If not, why not? Do you think lectors are still used today?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, the author quotes from the book "What would be the sense of killing a man in order to define one's own relations with a woman..." Why do you think Karenin found this to be a senseless act? Why do you think Chechy did not find this to be a senseless act?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)