|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the boy from New England find the ritual he helps Conchita with?
2. What are often the sites where semi-pagan rituals are carried out?
3. Why does Juan Julian reconsider the choice of book?
4. What does Juan Julian tell Conchita Tolstoy understands better than any other writers?
5. What does Juan Julian suggest Conchita do with her cutting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the woman at the factory and Juan Julian upon his arrival?
2. What information did the women have about the new lector?
3. What does Santiago say about Ofelia's slippers?
4. What happens when Marela stays behind alone with Juan Julian?
5. What was Clara Bow known for?
6. What does Juan Julian reveal when Conchita asks him why he chose to read Anna Karenina?
7. What does Palomo complain about and why is it bothering him?
8. Whose side of the issue does Santiago take and how does he solve it?
9. What plans in regards to the ritual does Conchita share with Juan Julian and what does he offer?
10. What is Marela still wearing three days after the tragedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe Chechy killed Juan Julian? Why don't you think Cruz had Palomo kill him? Do you agree with the decision Cruz made as the writer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What errors did Santiago make with his half-brother Chechy? Why do you think he made these errors? Do you think he will continue to make the same mistakes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Marela would always leave as Chechy approached her? What do you think Chechy wanted? How do you think he felt as Juan Julian told Marela she was beautiful?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)