|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Santiago taking chances and losing at gambling?
2. Where are Santiago and Chechy during act 1, scene 1?
3. Who do the two characters who are not speaking to each other use to help deliver barbs to each other?
4. What are often the sites where semi-pagan rituals are carried out?
5. Who steps in to break up the clash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the character Karenin want to do in regards to Vronsky?
2. What happens that causes Santiago and Ofelia to communicate with each other?
3. Why does Juan Julian say he became a lector?
4. How does act 2 scene 3 open?
5. What is Marela still wearing three days after the tragedy?
6. What part of the book does Palomo begin to read at the end of the play?
7. What causes Juan Julian to reconsider his choice at reading Anna Karenina as his first novel?
8. What does Juan Julian say he would like to learn?
9. What is bothering Ofelia and what does she say about it?
10. What ritual does Conchita explain to Juan Julian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is this play similar to the novel Anna Karenina? In what ways is it different? Why do you think the author made it this way?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the role of lector is important in Cuban cigar factories? Do you think there are other jobs that someone like a lector could be important? If so, what jobs? If not, why not? Do you think lectors are still used today?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, the author quotes from the book "What would be the sense of killing a man in order to define one's own relations with a woman..." Why do you think Karenin found this to be a senseless act? Why do you think Chechy did not find this to be a senseless act?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)