|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term barb as used in the following sentence? The two characters used a third party to deliver barbs to each other.
2. Why does Chechy resent lectors?
3. What are often the sites where semi-pagan rituals are carried out?
4. What does Juan Julian say the difference between the two places boils down to?
5. Later, how much does Santiago have to raise the amount of money to that he owes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the woman at the factory and Juan Julian upon his arrival?
2. What does Chechy accuse Marela of after Santiago leaves?
3. What does Juan Julian say he would like to learn?
4. What part of the book does Palomo begin to read at the end of the play?
5. What does Palomo complain about and why is it bothering him?
6. How doe the workers respond to Juan Julian's reading?
7. What happens when Marela stays behind alone with Juan Julian?
8. Whose side of the issue does Santiago take and how does he solve it?
9. Why does Juan Julian say he became a lector?
10. What and why does Santiago carve something into the sole of his half-brother's shoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Marela talked about how the living must look after the dead so that they can count on them to help the living when they die cross over, how did you respond to her thoughts? Do you agree or disagree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the story, the author quotes from the book "What would be the sense of killing a man in order to define one's own relations with a woman..." Why do you think Karenin found this to be a senseless act? Why do you think Chechy did not find this to be a senseless act?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author intertwine the plot from the novel the lector is reading into the plot of the play? Do you feel this is done successfully? Why or why not?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)