|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the factory workers respond to Juan's reading?
(b) Quiet awe.
2. What realization do Ofelia and Chechy come to about themselves?
(a) There is no hope for them.
(b) They still love each other.
(c) They need to talk more.
(d) They need to get away from the factory.
3. What does Marela use to make sure the lector arrives?
(a) Calls the ship captain.
(b) Uses a spell.
(c) Sends letters.
(d) Prays to God.
4. What does Juan Julian tell Conchita Tolstoy understands better than any other writers?
(a) Understands humanity.
(b) Explains differences.
(c) Relates to others.
(d) Describes love.
5. What does Conchita know about her husband?
(a) He cannot open up easily.
(b) He should have been the lectur.
(c) He has a mistress.
(d) He does not love her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Santiago taking chances and losing at gambling?
2. What does Juan Julian suggest Conchita do with her cutting?
3. Why don't Conchita and Palomo get divorced?
4. Which of the following descriptors best fits Chechy?
5. What do the girls in the ritual bury beneath a tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marela say that crying would be wrong?
2. What does Palomo demand to know from Conchita?
3. What happens when Marela stays behind alone with Juan Julian?
4. How does Conchita describe her relationship with Juan Julian to Palomo?
5. What is Chechy's suggestion to solve Palomo's problem?
6. What announcement does Santiago make?
7. What does Palomo ask Conchita to show him?
8. Why does Juan Julian say he became a lector?
9. What and why does Santiago carve something into the sole of his half-brother's shoe?
10. What character does Chechy identify with in the novel and why?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)