|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the boy from New England find the ritual he helps Conchita with?
2. What are often the sites where semi-pagan rituals are carried out?
3. Why does Juan Julian reconsider the choice of book?
(a) Only Ofelia seems interested in that book.
(b) He does not think the men will like the book.
(c) He thinks his choice will deepen Chechy's torment.
(d) Chechy has told him he will leave if he reads that book.
4. What does Juan Julian tell Conchita Tolstoy understands better than any other writers?
(a) Describes love.
(b) Understands humanity.
(c) Relates to others.
(d) Explains differences.
5. What does Juan Julian suggest Conchita do with her cutting?
(a) Press it in a book.
(b) Tie it in a special ribbon.
(c) Bury it under a tree.
(d) Give it to her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following have Conchita and Palomo lost in their marriage?
2. What did the the shy boy help Conchita carry out?
3. What is the blue smoke from a cigar a source of?
4. Which of the following characters is a mother?
5. Which character clashes with Juan Julian in scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the woman at the factory and Juan Julian upon his arrival?
2. What information did the women have about the new lector?
3. What does Santiago say about Ofelia's slippers?
4. What happens when Marela stays behind alone with Juan Julian?
5. What was Clara Bow known for?
6. What does Juan Julian reveal when Conchita asks him why he chose to read Anna Karenina?
7. What does Palomo complain about and why is it bothering him?
8. Whose side of the issue does Santiago take and how does he solve it?
9. What plans in regards to the ritual does Conchita share with Juan Julian and what does he offer?
10. What is Marela still wearing three days after the tragedy?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)