|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago reveal he has been doing in secret?
(a) Paying Chechy back.
(b) Working a second job.
(d) Listening to the novel.
2. Which of the following descriptors best fits Chechy?
3. What is Juan Julian doing at the end of act 1?
(a) Reading from the book.
(b) Planning out the steps involved in the ritual.
(c) Talking to Conchita's husband.
(d) Stroking Conchita's hair and kissing her shoulder and lips.
4. What does Marela use to make sure the lector arrives?
(a) Prays to God.
(b) Uses a spell.
(c) Calls the ship captain.
(d) Sends letters.
5. What do Conchita and her husband discuss?
(a) Chechy's reaction to Juan.
(b) Marela's new love interest.
(c) Santiago's gambling problem.
(d) The new lector.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the workers interested in hearing?
2. What does the ritual Conchita describes entail?
3. Which of the following themes figures prominently in the final scene of act 1?
4. Where does act 1 scene four take place?
5. What does Marela eventually do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marela propose about Juan Julian?
2. How is information from the book heard while Juan Julian and Conchita make love?
3. What do Conchita and Palomo debate about and what in the novel does she compare her husband's feelings about?
4. What does Juan Julian say he would like to learn?
5. What is bothering Ofelia and what does she say about it?
6. Why have Palomo and Conchita come to the factory?
7. How does Conchita describe the experience of making love with Juan Julian?
8. What is going on between Santiago and Ofelia at the opening of scene four?
9. What differences does Juan Julian describe to the workers and how does he explain them?
10. When does Conchita say that Palomo will understand?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)