|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Juan Julian say that the tradition of reading to the workers goes back to?
(a) Translating sacred words of dieties to common folk.
(b) Ponce de Leon's travels in Florida and Cuba.
(c) Spainards introducing new religion.
(d) Indian's influence over the in habitants.
2. What does Santiago say happens to Americans when they drink?
(a) They are unable to think.
(b) They commit crimes.
(c) They complete no work.
(d) They become socialists.
3. What does Karenin want to do with Vronsky in the book?
(a) Challenge him to a duel.
(b) Fire him.
(c) Strip him of his manhood.
(d) Shoot him.
4. What two things does Palomo want to know from Conchita?
(a) If she is pregnant and why she denies having a lover.
(b) Where she meets her lover and what they do.
(c) What happened to the new machine and how she feels about the lector.
(d) What the lector is reading and how she likes it.
5. What is odd about Marela?
(a) She is still wearing her coat.
(b) She is hugging Juan Julian's dead body.
(c) She is not crying.
(d) She doesn't talk anymore.
6. What is Juan Julian doing as Conchita talks with her husband?
(a) Reading from Anna Karenina.
(b) Watching them through a window.
(c) Talking with Ofelia.
(d) Taking pictures of Marela.
7. How many days after the tragedy does act 2 scene 5 occur?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 1 day.
8. What does Palomo need?
(a) Keys to the safe.
(b) A few of the new cigars.
(c) A copy of the book.
(d) The books.
9. Why does Marela say that crying is wrong?
(a) Tears are tool of the devil.
(b) Tears simply cause more tears.
(c) Tears show he is not in a better place.
(d) Tears concentrate attention on the killer.
10. Where is the piece of paper with Juan Julian's name to be placed then?
(a) Into the ocean when the next boat comes.
(b) Glass of water and brown sugar.
(c) In an envelope.
(d) On the bag of the cigar bands.
11. Where is the setting of the opening of act 2?
(a) Conchita's house.
(c) On a boat.
(d) In a park.
12. Who do Palomoa and Conchita need to pay?
(a) Delivery boy.
(b) Santiago's debts.
(d) Juan Julian.
13. Who interrupts the discussion between Juan Julian, Chechy and Palomo?
(a) Santiago and Ofelia.
(b) Conchita and Ofelia.
(c) Santiago and Marela.
(d) Marela and Ofelia.
14. What suggestion does Chechy make to Palomo about his wife?
(a) Beating up Juan Julian.
(b) Ending the affair.
(c) Moving up north.
(d) Getting her pregnant so she won't work anymore.
15. Who reaches out to touch the lector as he is dying?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Juan Julian?
2. Which of the following terms best describes how Conchita spoke with Palomo about her affair?
3. What was rising cigar smoke supposed to do in history according to Juan Julian?
4. What does Conchita suggest she and Juan Julian do as they have sex?
5. What argument does Chechy use to defend his purchase?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)