|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marela believe the living must do?
(a) Follow all superstitions.
(b) Support each other in pain.
(c) Take all possible precautions.
(d) Look after the dead.
2. Why does Marela say that crying is wrong?
(a) Tears simply cause more tears.
(b) Tears concentrate attention on the killer.
(c) Tears show he is not in a better place.
(d) Tears are tool of the devil.
3. What does Juan Julian bring to help decorate the factory?
(d) Palm leaves.
4. Which character does not agree with Karenin?
5. Why do Conchita and Juan Julian separate quickly?
(a) The sound of the door opening.
(b) They hear workers approaching.
(c) Palomo calling for Conchita.
(d) Santigo's voice calling.
6. What does Santiago complain about?
(a) Deliveries so late.
(b) Conchita's clothes.
(c) Palomo's attitude.
(d) Ofelia's slippers.
7. What does Palomo ask Conchita to show her?
(a) What the lector does to her.
(b) Where she goes with the lector.
(c) How the new machine works.
(d) What she would like to do with her husband.
8. Who proposes writing Juan Julian's name on a piece of paper?
9. What does Ofelia complain about?
(a) Not knowing the ending of the book.
(c) Constant crying.
(d) Marela's coat.
10. What does Santiago say happens to Americans when they drink?
(a) They become socialists.
(b) They are unable to think.
(c) They commit crimes.
(d) They complete no work.
11. How does Conchita believe having sex with Juan Julian feels?
(a) As if she is wrong.
(b) Natural and right.
(c) Surprisingly unexciting.
12. What is Santiago's decision in regards to the machine?
(a) Orders it returned.
(b) Begins to install it.
(c) Examines it himself.
(d) Orders the workers to be trained on it.
13. Why doesn't Conchita pick up reading where Juan Julian left off?
(a) She will cry.
(b) She has to make the cigars.
(c) She cannot read.
(d) She doesn't have the energy.
14. What is odd about Marela?
(a) She is hugging Juan Julian's dead body.
(b) She is not crying.
(c) She is still wearing her coat.
(d) She doesn't talk anymore.
15. Where is the piece of paper with Juan Julian's name to be placed then?
(a) On the bag of the cigar bands.
(b) Glass of water and brown sugar.
(c) In an envelope.
(d) Into the ocean when the next boat comes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the factory workers want to dismiss the lector?
2. What does Ofelia believe prohibition stems from?
3. According to Ofelia it is much louder now than when?
4. Which of the following terms best describes how Conchita spoke with Palomo about her affair?
5. What does Conchita want someone to do?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)