|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does the first letter carved represent?
2. What does Palomo long for?
(a) An affair.
(b) Life beyond the factory.
(c) A husband for Marela.
(d) Material success.
3. Who performs the burial for Conchita?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her father.
4. What does the ritual Conchita describes entail?
(a) Funeral procession.
(b) Girls dancing beneath a avacado tree.
(c) Boys bringing girls a flower necklace.
(d) Girls cutting their hair once a year.
5. What does Juan Julian talk to Conchita and Marela about?
6. What does Juan Julian say parks do to him?
(a) Asphyxiate him.
(b) Surprise him.
(c) Enliven him.
(d) Enchant him.
7. Which of the following describes how Juan reads from the book?
(a) Reservation and hesitation.
(b) Passion and fervor.
(c) Surprise and regret.
(d) Anxiety and suppression.
8. What does Marela eventually do?
(d) Refuses to talk.
9. How does Chechy feel about his behavior?
10. What is the blue smoke from a cigar a source of?
11. Where does Santiago carve the letter?
(a) On his leather belt.
(b) On a tree.
(c) In the chair.
(d) On the sole of a shoe.
12. What did the the shy boy help Conchita carry out?
(a) An annual Cuban ritual.
(b) A traditional cigar making ceremony.
(c) A part of her wedding ceremony.
(d) A Christmas celebration.
13. Which of the following themes figures prominently in the final scene of act 1?
14. When do the two spouses begin to communicate with each other in a direct manner?
(a) When they return to work.
(b) When Chechy arrives.
(c) When Marela leaves.
(d) When the yelling becomes too loud.
15. Who steps in to break up the clash?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Anna and her husband get divorced?
2. What does Juan Julian say the difference between the two places boils down to?
3. Why don't Conchita and Palomo get divorced?
4. Which character is newly arrived?
5. Which of the following have Conchita and Palomo lost in their marriage?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)