|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Santiago carve a letter?
(a) To show ownership.
(b) As a promissory note.
(c) To help him remember.
(d) To track winnings.
2. What were Santiago and Chechy doing?
3. What does Conchita know about her husband?
(a) He should have been the lectur.
(b) He does not love her.
(c) He has a mistress.
(d) He cannot open up easily.
4. What does Juan Julian tell Conchita Tolstoy understands better than any other writers?
(a) Explains differences.
(b) Relates to others.
(c) Understands humanity.
(d) Describes love.
5. What are the workers interested in hearing?
(a) The lector's opinion.
(b) The results of the gambling.
(c) The thoughts of Chechy.
(d) Novels read aloud.
6. What keeps Santiago taking chances and losing at gambling?
(a) Need to prove himself.
(b) Pressure from his half-brother.
(c) One time he won big.
(d) Desire for a better life.
7. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term barb as used in the following sentence? The two characters used a third party to deliver barbs to each other.
(b) Sharp wire.
(c) Cutting remark.
8. What does Marela think reading the book might accomplish?
(a) Provide closure for Ofelia.
(b) Bring the men and women closer.
(c) Alienate the new lector.
(d) Help Chechy move on.
9. Why doesn't Santiago want to face Chechy?
(a) He doesn't like Chechy.
(b) He knows that Chechy slept with his wife.
(c) He doesn't have the money to repay the loan.
(d) He knows the story bothers him.
10. What happened to Teodoro?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He was sent away.
(c) He quit.
(d) He died.
11. What does Conchita want to have for herself?
(a) A lover.
(b) A new husband.
(c) A divorce.
(d) A child.
12. When do the two spouses begin to communicate with each other in a direct manner?
(a) When the yelling becomes too loud.
(b) When Marela leaves.
(c) When they return to work.
(d) When Chechy arrives.
13. Which character is newly arrived?
(a) Juan Julian.
14. Which of the following characters is a mother?
15. What does Santiago run out of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What realization do Ofelia and Chechy come to about themselves?
2. What does Juan Julian talk to Conchita and Marela about?
3. How does the boy from New England find the ritual he helps Conchita with?
4. What was Juan Julian's family hiding from when he discovered books?
5. Why don't Conchita and Palomo get divorced?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)