|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chechy resent lectors?
(a) He was denied becoming lector.
(b) His wife ran away with one.
(c) He lost money gambling to them.
(d) He thinks he should be the boss.
2. What letter does Santiago carve?
3. Which of the following describes how Ofelia feels about her brother-in-law's presumptions?
4. What is the blue smoke from a cigar a source of?
5. What does Conchita want to have for herself?
(a) A child.
(b) A divorce.
(c) A new husband.
(d) A lover.
6. Why don't Conchita and Palomo get divorced?
(a) Palomo won't allow it.
(b) They are Roman Catholic.
(c) They continue to work together.
(d) Her lover does not wish it.
7. What does Marela use to make sure the lector arrives?
(a) Sends letters.
(b) Calls the ship captain.
(c) Prays to God.
(d) Uses a spell.
8. What was Juan Julian's family hiding from when he discovered books?
(a) His father.
9. What do the girls in the ritual bury beneath a tree?
(a) A flower.
(b) The cigar remnants.
(c) The hair cuttings.
(d) Ashes from a relative.
10. What does Juan Julian compare Tampa to?
(a) The ship.
11. What does Juan Julian say cities do to him?
(a) Enliven him.
(b) Asphyxiate him.
(c) Enchange him.
(d) Surprise him.
12. What does Conchita use to justify her wants?
(a) The novel.
(b) Life in Cuba.
(c) Her husband's behavior.
(d) Her mother.
13. How much does the first letter carved represent?
14. What is the lector's role in a Cuban cigar factory?
(a) To manange the plant.
(b) To calm the workers.
(c) To educate and inform.
(d) To increse productivity.
15. What does the ritual Conchita describes entail?
(a) Boys bringing girls a flower necklace.
(b) Funeral procession.
(c) Girls dancing beneath a avacado tree.
(d) Girls cutting their hair once a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ofelia and her daughter's snipe about?
2. Who performs the burial for Conchita?
3. What is the character of Vronsky fiercely dedicated to in the story?
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term barb as used in the following sentence? The two characters used a third party to deliver barbs to each other.
5. How do the factory workers respond to Juan's reading?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)