|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the blue smoke from a cigar a source of?
2. What does Conchita long for?
(a) A wild affair.
(b) A husband for Ofelia.
(c) A life beyond the factory.
(d) More money.
3. Which of the following terms best describes how act 1 scene 5 opens?
(a) Opening dialoge.
(c) Climatic intervention.
(d) Dramatic interlude.
4. What do Ofelia and her daughters think about the choice of the novel?
(a) They believe it is hurting Chechy.
(b) They do not think it is appropriate.
(c) They find it fitting.
(d) They dislike it.
5. Which of the following describes the types of tasks workers in the factory perform?
6. What does Ofelia want to do, though she agrees to continue to talk about the book some more?
(a) Go to work.
(b) Go visit Santiago.
(c) Go to stay with her family.
(d) Go to bed.
7. What does the ritual Conchita describes entail?
(a) Boys bringing girls a flower necklace.
(b) Girls dancing beneath a avacado tree.
(c) Girls cutting their hair once a year.
(d) Funeral procession.
8. What does Levin's efforts to dissuade Anna's brother from selling off his ancestral land make Santiago realize?
(a) The extent of the errors he made with his half-brother.
(b) The problems he faces in his life.
(c) The relationships with the factory workers.
(d) How much he truly loves Ofelia.
9. What happened to Teodoro?
(a) He died.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He quit.
(d) He was sent away.
10. Which of the following characters works late at the factory?
11. What does Juan Julian suggest Conchita do with her cutting?
(a) Give it to her husband.
(b) Tie it in a special ribbon.
(c) Press it in a book.
(d) Bury it under a tree.
12. What does Santiago run out of?
13. Which of the following have Conchita and Palomo lost in their marriage?
14. Which of the following is an accurate description of the job of lector?
15. Who do the two characters who are not speaking to each other use to help deliver barbs to each other?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Santiago and Chechy?
2. What does Chechy tell Ofelia about?
3. Which of the following themes figures prominently in the final scene of act 1?
4. What is the lector's role in a Cuban cigar factory?
5. What are often the sites where semi-pagan rituals are carried out?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)