|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Juan Julian talk to Conchita and Marela about?
2. How does the boy from New England find the ritual he helps Conchita with?
3. What letter does Santiago carve?
4. What does Marela think reading the book might accomplish?
(a) Bring the men and women closer.
(b) Provide closure for Ofelia.
(c) Help Chechy move on.
(d) Alienate the new lector.
5. How do the women feel around Juan Julian?
6. Which character clashes with Juan Julian in scene 2?
7. What does Santiago reveal he has been doing in secret?
(a) Working a second job.
(b) Listening to the novel.
(d) Paying Chechy back.
8. What was the first novel Juan Julian had planned on reading?
(a) A Tale of Two Cities.
(b) The Taming of the Shrew.
(c) Withering Heights.
(d) Anna Karenina.
9. What was Juan Julian's family hiding from when he discovered books?
(c) His father.
10. What does the ritual Conchita describes entail?
(a) Boys bringing girls a flower necklace.
(b) Girls dancing beneath a avacado tree.
(c) Funeral procession.
(d) Girls cutting their hair once a year.
11. What does Juan Julian compare Tampa to?
(b) The ship.
12. What are the workers discussing as their workday ends?
(a) Chechy's behavior.
(b) The new lector.
(c) The novel.
(d) The cock fight that night.
13. What do the girls in the ritual bury beneath a tree?
(a) Ashes from a relative.
(b) The hair cuttings.
(c) A flower.
(d) The cigar remnants.
14. What does Chechy tell Ofelia about?
(a) His undying love for her.
(b) Her husband's gambling debt.
(c) Her sister's indiscretion.
(d) His hatred of the lector.
15. What is the blue smoke from a cigar a source of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Later, how much does Santiago have to raise the amount of money to that he owes?
2. Which of the following describes how Ofelia feels about her brother-in-law's presumptions?
3. What does Juan Julian say cities do to him?
4. Which of the following describes how Juan reads from the book?
5. What does Ofelia want to do, though she agrees to continue to talk about the book some more?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)