|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is newly arrived?
(a) Juan Julian.
2. What does Marela use to make sure the lector arrives?
(a) Uses a spell.
(b) Prays to God.
(c) Sends letters.
(d) Calls the ship captain.
3. What is Juan Julian doing at the end of act 1?
(a) Reading from the book.
(b) Talking to Conchita's husband.
(c) Planning out the steps involved in the ritual.
(d) Stroking Conchita's hair and kissing her shoulder and lips.
4. What does Juan Julian suggest Conchita do with her cutting?
(a) Tie it in a special ribbon.
(b) Press it in a book.
(c) Bury it under a tree.
(d) Give it to her husband.
5. Where does Santiago carve the letter?
(a) On a tree.
(b) On the sole of a shoe.
(c) In the chair.
(d) On his leather belt.
6. How does the boy from New England find the ritual he helps Conchita with?
7. Which character clashes with Juan Julian in scene 2?
8. How does Chechy feel about his role in the factory?
(a) He feels overwhelmed by it.
(b) He feels useless.
(c) He feels he needs more power.
(d) He feels it is too big.
9. What keeps Santiago taking chances and losing at gambling?
(a) Pressure from his half-brother.
(b) Need to prove himself.
(c) One time he won big.
(d) Desire for a better life.
10. What happened to Teodoro?
(a) He quit.
(b) He died.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He was sent away.
11. What do Ofelia and her daughter's snipe about?
(a) What they will say to Chechy.
(b) Who likes Juan more.
(c) Who is the better listener.
(d) Which passage was the most important.
12. What does the ritual Conchita describes entail?
(a) Girls cutting their hair once a year.
(b) Funeral procession.
(c) Boys bringing girls a flower necklace.
(d) Girls dancing beneath a avacado tree.
13. What letter does Santiago carve?
14. What does Juan Julian talk to Conchita and Marela about?
15. What does Conchita use to justify her wants?
(a) Her husband's behavior.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Life in Cuba.
(d) The novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Teodoro been gone before the play begins?
2. What is the relationship between Santiago and Chechy?
3. Who performs the burial for Conchita?
4. What is the character of Vronsky fiercely dedicated to in the story?
5. Which of the following is an accurate description of the job of lector?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)