|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Juan Julian reconsider the choice of book?
(a) He thinks his choice will deepen Chechy's torment.
(b) He does not think the men will like the book.
(c) Only Ofelia seems interested in that book.
(d) Chechy has told him he will leave if he reads that book.
2. Which character is newly arrived?
(b) Juan Julian.
3. How does Juan Julian feel?
4. What does Juan Julian compare Tampa to?
(c) The ship.
5. What does Juan Julian tell Conchita Tolstoy understands better than any other writers?
(a) Explains differences.
(b) Relates to others.
(c) Describes love.
(d) Understands humanity.
6. What do Conchita and her husband discuss?
(a) The new lector.
(b) Chechy's reaction to Juan.
(c) Marela's new love interest.
(d) Santiago's gambling problem.
7. What does Santiago run out of?
8. Which character in the story does Santiago identify with?
9. What does Marela eventually do?
(b) Refuses to talk.
10. Who performs the burial for Conchita?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her brother.
11. What is the blue smoke from a cigar a source of?
12. Which of the following characters works late at the factory?
13. What does Santiago reveal he has been doing in secret?
(b) Working a second job.
(c) Listening to the novel.
(d) Paying Chechy back.
14. Which of the following terms is the best definition of a superstition?
(a) Scientific proof.
(b) Religious belief.
(c) Uncontrollable desire.
(d) False notion.
15. What happened to Teodoro?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He died.
(c) He quit.
(d) He was sent away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juan Julian talk to Conchita and Marela about?
2. Which of the following describes how Ofelia feels about her brother-in-law's presumptions?
3. Where does Santiago carve the letter?
4. What does Palomo long for?
5. Which of the following describes the types of tasks workers in the factory perform?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)