|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is arriving during act 1, scene 1?
2. Why does Santiago carve a letter?
(a) To show ownership.
(b) To track winnings.
(c) To help him remember.
(d) As a promissory note.
3. Which two characters are not speaking to each other?
(a) Palomo and Conchita.
(b) Santiago and Ofelia.
(c) Juan and Santiago.
(d) Marela and Ofelia.
4. What does Juan Julian say cities do to him?
(a) Enliven him.
(b) Surprise him.
(c) Asphyxiate him.
(d) Enchange him.
5. What do Ofelia and her daughters think about the choice of the novel?
(a) They dislike it.
(b) They do not think it is appropriate.
(c) They believe it is hurting Chechy.
(d) They find it fitting.
6. What does Santiago reveal he has been doing in secret?
(b) Working a second job.
(c) Paying Chechy back.
(d) Listening to the novel.
7. How does Chechy feel about his behavior?
8. Which of the following themes figures prominently in the final scene of act 1?
9. Why don't Conchita and Palomo get divorced?
(a) Her lover does not wish it.
(b) They are Roman Catholic.
(c) They continue to work together.
(d) Palomo won't allow it.
10. Which character clashes with Juan Julian in scene 2?
11. What does Santiago run out of?
12. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term barb as used in the following sentence? The two characters used a third party to deliver barbs to each other.
(c) Cutting remark.
(d) Sharp wire.
13. What is the lector's role in a Cuban cigar factory?
(a) To calm the workers.
(b) To increse productivity.
(c) To manange the plant.
(d) To educate and inform.
14. What was Juan Julian's family hiding from when he discovered books?
(d) His father.
15. Which of the following is an accurate description of the job of lector?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters was the old lector?
2. How does Marela feel as she deals with the Santiago and Ofelia?
3. Who performs the burial for Conchita?
4. What does the ritual Conchita describes entail?
5. Which character is newly arrived?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)