|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Palomo long for?
(a) An affair.
(b) Life beyond the factory.
(c) A husband for Marela.
(d) Material success.
2. What is the character of Vronsky fiercely dedicated to in the story?
(a) The land.
(b) His woman.
(c) The country.
(d) His family.
3. How does the boy from New England find the ritual he helps Conchita with?
4. What is the band on a cigar the symbol of?
5. What was the first novel Juan Julian had planned on reading?
(a) Anna Karenina.
(b) The Taming of the Shrew.
(c) Withering Heights.
(d) A Tale of Two Cities.
6. What is arriving during act 1, scene 1?
7. What does Conchita use to justify her wants?
(a) Life in Cuba.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her husband's behavior.
(d) The novel.
8. Which of the following describes how Ofelia feels about her brother-in-law's presumptions?
9. What is the relationship between Santiago and Chechy?
(a) Father and son.
(b) Uncle and nephew.
(c) Half brothers.
10. Which of the following describes how Juan reads from the book?
(a) Surprise and regret.
(b) Passion and fervor.
(c) Reservation and hesitation.
(d) Anxiety and suppression.
11. What do the girls in the ritual bury beneath a tree?
(a) The hair cuttings.
(b) A flower.
(c) The cigar remnants.
(d) Ashes from a relative.
12. What does Juan Julian tell Conchita Tolstoy understands better than any other writers?
(a) Describes love.
(b) Relates to others.
(c) Explains differences.
(d) Understands humanity.
13. What does Juan Julian say the difference between the two places boils down to?
(a) Matter of age.
(b) Matter of time.
(c) Matter of water.
(d) Matter of light.
14. What is the blue smoke from a cigar a source of?
15. Where are Santiago and Chechy during act 1, scene 1?
(b) Card game.
(c) Cigar factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following themes figures prominently in the final scene of act 1?
2. What does Conchita know about her husband?
3. Why doesn't Santiago want to face Chechy?
4. How does Chechy feel about his behavior?
5. What does Chechy tell Ofelia about?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)