|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following describes the types of tasks workers in the factory perform?
2. Why don't Conchita and Palomo get divorced?
(a) They continue to work together.
(b) Palomo won't allow it.
(c) Her lover does not wish it.
(d) They are Roman Catholic.
3. What does Conchita know about her husband?
(a) He cannot open up easily.
(b) He has a mistress.
(c) He does not love her.
(d) He should have been the lectur.
4. What did the the shy boy help Conchita carry out?
(a) A part of her wedding ceremony.
(b) A traditional cigar making ceremony.
(c) An annual Cuban ritual.
(d) A Christmas celebration.
5. What does Juan Julian say parks do to him?
(a) Enliven him.
(b) Asphyxiate him.
(c) Surprise him.
(d) Enchant him.
6. What was Juan Julian's family hiding from when he discovered books?
(d) His father.
7. Which of the following describes how Juan reads from the book?
(a) Surprise and regret.
(b) Reservation and hesitation.
(c) Passion and fervor.
(d) Anxiety and suppression.
8. What keeps Santiago taking chances and losing at gambling?
(a) Need to prove himself.
(b) Pressure from his half-brother.
(c) Desire for a better life.
(d) One time he won big.
9. Why does Santiago carve a letter?
(a) To help him remember.
(b) To show ownership.
(c) As a promissory note.
(d) To track winnings.
10. What does Palomo long for?
(a) A husband for Marela.
(b) An affair.
(c) Material success.
(d) Life beyond the factory.
11. What letter does Santiago carve?
12. What do Conchita and her husband discuss?
(a) Santiago's gambling problem.
(b) Marela's new love interest.
(c) The new lector.
(d) Chechy's reaction to Juan.
13. What does Juan Julian tell Conchita Tolstoy understands better than any other writers?
(a) Explains differences.
(b) Describes love.
(c) Understands humanity.
(d) Relates to others.
14. What is the character of Vronsky fiercely dedicated to in the story?
(a) His family.
(b) The land.
(c) His woman.
(d) The country.
15. What are the workers discussing as their workday ends?
(a) The novel.
(b) The new lector.
(c) The cock fight that night.
(d) Chechy's behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marela feel as she deals with the Santiago and Ofelia?
2. What does Juan Julian suggest Conchita do with her cutting?
3. Which of the following characters was the old lector?
4. How do the women feel around Juan Julian?
5. What are Marela and Conchita waiting for?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)