|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Santiago and Chechy during act 1, scene 1?
(a) Cigar factory.
(b) Card game.
2. What is the lector's role in a Cuban cigar factory?
(a) To manange the plant.
(b) To educate and inform.
(c) To calm the workers.
(d) To increse productivity.
3. How does Chechy feel about his role in the factory?
(a) He feels he needs more power.
(b) He feels it is too big.
(c) He feels overwhelmed by it.
(d) He feels useless.
4. What are the workers interested in hearing?
(a) Novels read aloud.
(b) The results of the gambling.
(c) The thoughts of Chechy.
(d) The lector's opinion.
5. Which character in the story does Santiago identify with?
6. Which of the following terms is the best definition of a superstition?
(a) Religious belief.
(b) False notion.
(c) Uncontrollable desire.
(d) Scientific proof.
7. What keeps Santiago taking chances and losing at gambling?
(a) Desire for a better life.
(b) One time he won big.
(c) Pressure from his half-brother.
(d) Need to prove himself.
8. Where does Santiago carve the letter?
(a) On the sole of a shoe.
(b) On a tree.
(c) In the chair.
(d) On his leather belt.
9. What does Juan Julian say parks do to him?
(a) Enchant him.
(b) Surprise him.
(c) Enliven him.
(d) Asphyxiate him.
10. Why don't Conchita and Palomo get divorced?
(a) Her lover does not wish it.
(b) They are Roman Catholic.
(c) They continue to work together.
(d) Palomo won't allow it.
11. What does Marela think reading the book might accomplish?
(a) Provide closure for Ofelia.
(b) Bring the men and women closer.
(c) Help Chechy move on.
(d) Alienate the new lector.
12. How does the boy from New England find the ritual he helps Conchita with?
13. Which of the following describes how Ofelia feels about her brother-in-law's presumptions?
14. Which character clashes with Juan Julian in scene 2?
15. Which character is newly arrived?
(c) Juan Julian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago reveal he has been doing in secret?
2. Why does Santiago carve a letter?
3. Why does Juan Julian reconsider the choice of book?
4. Who witnesses what goes on between Conchita and Juan Julian?
5. What realization do Ofelia and Chechy come to about themselves?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)