|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Conchita and her husband discuss?
(a) Chechy's reaction to Juan.
(b) Marela's new love interest.
(c) Santiago's gambling problem.
(d) The new lector.
2. What does Conchita know about her husband?
(a) He has a mistress.
(b) He should have been the lectur.
(c) He does not love her.
(d) He cannot open up easily.
3. What does Marela think reading the book might accomplish?
(a) Provide closure for Ofelia.
(b) Bring the men and women closer.
(c) Alienate the new lector.
(d) Help Chechy move on.
4. How does Juan Julian feel?
5. What is the blue smoke from a cigar a source of?
6. Why does Juan Julian reconsider the choice of book?
(a) Chechy has told him he will leave if he reads that book.
(b) He thinks his choice will deepen Chechy's torment.
(c) He does not think the men will like the book.
(d) Only Ofelia seems interested in that book.
7. What did the the shy boy help Conchita carry out?
(a) A Christmas celebration.
(b) A part of her wedding ceremony.
(c) An annual Cuban ritual.
(d) A traditional cigar making ceremony.
8. How does Marela feel as she deals with the Santiago and Ofelia?
9. What do Ofelia and her daughter's snipe about?
(a) Who likes Juan more.
(b) Which passage was the most important.
(c) What they will say to Chechy.
(d) Who is the better listener.
10. Who witnesses what goes on between Conchita and Juan Julian?
11. What do Ofelia and her daughters think about the choice of the novel?
(a) They dislike it.
(b) They believe it is hurting Chechy.
(c) They find it fitting.
(d) They do not think it is appropriate.
12. Which character is newly arrived?
(d) Juan Julian.
13. Which of the following have Conchita and Palomo lost in their marriage?
14. What does Juan Julian suggest Conchita do with her cutting?
(a) Bury it under a tree.
(b) Give it to her husband.
(c) Tie it in a special ribbon.
(d) Press it in a book.
15. What are the workers discussing as their workday ends?
(a) The new lector.
(b) The novel.
(c) Chechy's behavior.
(d) The cock fight that night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chechy feel about his behavior?
2. What is the band on a cigar the symbol of?
3. Who performs the burial for Conchita?
4. What does Juan Julian tell Conchita Tolstoy understands better than any other writers?
5. Where does Santiago carve the letter?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)