|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Juan Julian reconsider the choice of book?
(a) He does not think the men will like the book.
(b) Chechy has told him he will leave if he reads that book.
(c) He thinks his choice will deepen Chechy's torment.
(d) Only Ofelia seems interested in that book.
2. Why don't Conchita and Palomo get divorced?
(a) They are Roman Catholic.
(b) Palomo won't allow it.
(c) They continue to work together.
(d) Her lover does not wish it.
3. What was Juan Julian's family hiding from when he discovered books?
(d) His father.
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term barb as used in the following sentence? The two characters used a third party to deliver barbs to each other.
(b) Cutting remark.
(d) Sharp wire.
5. Why do Conchita and Juan Julian separate quickly?
(a) Palomo calling for Conchita.
(b) The sound of the door opening.
(c) Santigo's voice calling.
(d) They hear workers approaching.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lector's role in a Cuban cigar factory?
2. What type of liability is discussed in regard to the lectors?
3. Which character in the story does Santiago identify with?
4. Who witnesses what goes on between Conchita and Juan Julian?
5. How does Juan Julian feel?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)