Act 1, Scene 1
• The beginning of the play alternates between a cockfight and the arrival of a new lector via ship at the harbor.
• Santiago and Chechy are half-brothers who are at the cockfighting drinking and gambling.
• Eliades is keeping the betting going at a regular rate.
• Santiago is not doing well gambling and has to borrow money from his half-brother.
• Santiago carves an S into Chechy's shoe to serve as a promissory note, which ends up being worth $300.
• Ofelia and her two daughters, Marela and Conchita are at the harbor waiting for the new lector.
• The old lector, Teodoro had not been useful in a long time, but then died about three months ago.
• Marela cast a spell to make sure the lector arrived on the ship.
• Finally, one of the last people off of the ship is the new lector, Juan Julian.
Act 1, Scene 2
• The scene shifts...
This section contains 1,702 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)